3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

If you're whining about the snow... (Read 55 times)

There's no option other than running in the travel lane where the cars have worn the snow to pavement.

I've gotten weak...the treadmill it is.

C-R

1 mile on TM = 1 mile

Or like the boy and I do - head for the indoor track and do 8 laps per mile dodging the walkers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

1 mile on TM = 1 mile

The conversion depends on whether you are talking physical miles or mental miles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The conversion depends on whether you are talking physical miles or mental miles.

Unless it makes you mental trying to physically get through the miles.

Either way it has to help in the long run.  I had Monday off and the DW was trying to get me to run outside.  I didn't want another "easy" day so instead I did a 4 mi tempo followed by 8 x 400m.  I guarantee you I wouldn't have gotten that kind of quality in if I went outside in the sub-freezing temps.

C-R

I think if you can handle the TM mentally, not much can stop you other than injury.

It makes you tough in the head.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

an amazing likeness

I'm not "tough" is the word that comes to mind...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Then I guess I am Chuck Norris.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

I really don't mind having snow down. I do get sick of the constant freeze/thaw. We don't have consistent enough snow to make winter sports worth investing time and money. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I really don't mind having snow down. I do get sick of the constant freeze/thaw. We don't have consistent enough snow to make winter sports worth investing time and money. 

Yes, this.  Even when we have snow I gave up trying to ski in my back field after the first winter here.  Too much work to wax them up and then by the time you have the snow skiied into some sort of groomed trail it's melting.

Not a problem right now though....Now they're calling for negative temps through the next week, with the exception of the weekend.  My grape vines are going to be in rough shape.

Prince of Fatness

Not a problem right now though....Now they're calling for negative temps through the next week, with the exception of the weekend.  My grape vines are going to be in rough shape.

We are having one of the coldest winters in the last couple of decades.  Weird thing is we have had some brief warmups here and there so the snow has not stuck around for more than a few days.  For example we had one three day stretch where at 6 AM the temperature was -2, then 55, then back down to 0.

Not at it at all. 

We are having one of the coldest winters in the last couple of decades.  Weird thing is we have had some brief warmups here and there so the snow has not stuck around for more than a few days.  For example we had one three day stretch where at 6 AM the temperature was -2, then 55, then back down to 0.

nothing to do with the weather but I've been in your neck of the woods 3, days a week (well except when it get's canceled due to weather or too cold in the warehouse) for Katie's softball workouts.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

nothing to do with the weather but I've been in your neck of the woods 3, days a week (well except when it get's canceled due to weather or too cold in the warehouse) for Katie's softball workouts.

I did not even know that there was a place that has indoor softball nearby.  This in NJ or just over the river?

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Can I whine about the 20 mph winds blowing the shit all over the place and keeping me shoveling in perpetuity?

Feeling the growl again

Can I whine about the 20 mph winds blowing the shit all over the place and keeping me shoveling in perpetuity?

Not until you move out on the open prairie like me, where it's 10 times as bad... Big grin

lagwagon

this month has been ~75% treadmill.  thought I'd get outside for my long run tomorrow but we had more snow today on the icy streets, so it'll be 18 on the TM tomorrow.  cant wait.....