3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

So I don't know what to make of the latest revelation.  I've been banged up since March and have not been consistent with cross training efforts as it drives me more batty than usual.  What started out below the (inside) knee in March has progressed down to the achilles for the past couple of months.  I saw a PT prior to a 2-week vacation at the end of June and have been trying to stay consistent with strength exercises and mixing in more XT-ing.

The one thing that I've been cognitive of is the age of shoes and how many miles I have on them.  I've bounced between the Wave Riders and Ghosts for the last couple of years and they have worked well for me.  From Nov-Feb, I had a pair of Wave Riders with 500+ miles on them and pair of Ghosts with nearly 300 miles.  I started up on a new pair of Ghosts about 75 miles ago.  My legs have shown little improvement.  It seems like a never ending cycle of feeling better to reverting back to where they've been.

Now, here I am last weekend.  I run easy on Saturday and Sunday and the legs were starting to feel their normal pain.  I pull out the Wave Riders with 500+ miles on them and wear them later on Sunday.  No running, just bumming around and legs felt remarkedly better after being in them.  I run on Monday in the Ghosts and the legs are back to being more sore in the morning.  Since then, I've been staying in the Wave Riders and have run the past wo days.  Each day, the legs have felt better.  I get up this morning and there's hardly any stiffness or pain.  I don't get it.  Guess I'm going to keep running in the older shoes with 500+ miles on them.

It's at least giving me a glimpse of hope in being able to rebuild fitness!

Well if the old beat up shoes work, do what works.  Shoe shape can certainly impact what is going on; perhaps try a new pair of the Riders, see if the Riders are simply doing better for you overall now and the Ghosts are part of the problem?  Sometimes what worked before will not now, perhaps the Ghosts are no good for you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

I told this to spaniel on our run last week, but I am a huge proponent of proper shoes (whatever that means for each person). I've been running in lightweight shoes for some time but over the past year or so my shoe soles and heels have been getting bigger. In July I was having a hell of a time with leg fatigue and just plain crap runs. On a lark, I went back to flats and BAM! a good run. No aches, no pains, no lethargy. Been doing this since and my running has started to pick-up.

I hope those Wave RIders do the trick mbehr. I would donate those Ghosts to someone else. IMHO

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I have a pair of Ghosts and a pair of Wave Riders also. I like them both, but the Wave Riders are definitely a firmer ride. Maybe that firmer ride is what you need.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

All good points...the Ghosts and Wave Riders have been the choice of shoe for me and have worked well for the past few years.  I tried the Precisions once but they did not work.  I have nothing to lose now, so I might as well retire the Ghosts and go get a new pair of Wave Riders.  Now that's the only kind of shopping I get excited about or like.

Seanv2

So after six months of injury upon injury, physical therapy, ultrasound therapy, massage therapy, and drinking on the couch watching baseball therapy, I think I am finally back in the game. I am running pain free and ready to get back to actual training.  

Nice to see all the challenge threads around here. I hope there are more this fall and winter, I'm hungry for improvement.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Nice to see all the challenge threads around here. I hope there are more this fall and winter, I'm hungry for improvement.

Sounds like a volunteer to come up with one...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Just wanted to mention that I discovered the squishy Nike Vomeros didn't work for me, but the firmer Mizuno Wave Rider seems to be doing fine so far. Maybe there is something to the soft/firm shoe fitment thing ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Just wanted to mention that I discovered the squishy Nike Vomeros didn't work for me, but the firmer Mizuno Wave Rider seems to be doing fine so far. Maybe there is something to the soft/firm shoe fitment thing ...

Many years ago I had a pair of Brooks Dyads....like tying mattresses to my feet.  They felt awful and did awful things to my feet.  There is such a thing as too much cushioning for sure.

obsessor

Less shoes = better shoes. Last week, I finally wore through my 2006 Nike Air Pegasus. I mean I wore through the sole right to the ground. Air-holes right under the big toes. I have decided to reject any rule, and simply wear the shoes until they are substantially gone. I probably have 2 more years of shoes sitting in the closet, considering the 2006 shoes had somewhere around 5000 miles in them. They ended up being pretty minimal.

Seanv2

Sounds like a volunteer to come up with one...

I'll get to thinking...

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

obsessor

If this is where we post stupid things: I entered a little trail 50k. It is in 5 weeks. My longest run is 13 miles. That should work.

If this is where we post stupid things: I'm planning on running nearly ~60mi/week this week and the next two.  Haven't touched 60 in a single week, let alone back-to-back 60mpw, since I was young-and-frequently-injured.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does."  Indeed.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

So the less I run, the more the lower leg was hurting.  I was trying the elliptical and occassional bike mixed in was some easy short running but it was doing no good.  So, I decide to say screw it and go long and see what happens.  It was at least long for me at the moment...13 miles in 90 minutes yesterday.  About everything else hurts except the lower legs.  Must be the trick.  Inflict pain on the rest of your body so you don't notice where the real problem is/was.  I'm quite excited and am looking at getting back to some consistency.

DoppleBock

I have been an ironman lately - Very little injury wise to complain about ... unitl I plated a couple hours of volleyball last Sunday ... Silly runner, court sports and loads of running to not mix.  So now I am nursing an angry IT band on my left leg.  This will be fine - I just need to work through it.  By my tweaked achillies on my right side is more of a concern. 

Bad achillied = no speed workouts for awhile

I am going to try a soft hill climbing workout tomorrow morning - We will be back in Wausau, WI and I plan on going up and down the ski hill (700 whopping vertical feet - sarcasm) as long as I can or for 6 hours which ever comes 1st.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Stassburg sock...

Does this thing work for PF?  I do not have it bad, but it is threatening. I would rather put it away early and decisively.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus