3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February Racing Thread (Read 1309 times)

It would be pretty cool if I can tick those off this Spring and have new goals for the Fall. When I came up with those goals they were based on my November half plus a moderate improvement estimate from an increase in miles and training. I think all those December miles had a pretty big impact. I honestly thought that if I pushed I might be able to hold an 8:30 pace and finish with a 26:30. I was pretty surprised when I glanced at my watch at the beginning of the race and saw my pace. I thought for sure I would blow up.

Yes, the peril of watch-wearing. Been there.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

It was not an easy decision but the spaniel beer for February has to go to rabutler. His PR for the 5k was 29:02.  He set an impressive goal of 27 minutes and destroyed it, turning in an impressive 24:45!

Solid choice.  Nice job ra!

Feeling the growl again

I was pretty surprised when I glanced at my watch at the beginning of the race and saw my pace. I thought for sure I would blow up.

I love (and miss) those types of races.  I recall being in a constant state of disbelief dropping 72sec laps in a 10K.  It's all about believe what your body is telling you is possible and not falling for what your mind tells you should be possible.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I love (and miss) those types of races.  I recall being in a constant state of disbelief dropping 72sec laps in a 10K.  It's all about believe what your body is telling you is possible and not falling for what your mind tells you should be possible.

Yes.

It's all about believe what your body is telling you is possible and not falling for what your mind tells you should be possible.

+1  Great comment Spaniel.

The one lifetime PR that I know could be better is the mile (4:40).  It was achieved a couple times as the first mile split of a 5k and was not because my mind was telling me I should be able to do it.  Matter of fact, the first time I went through mile 1 and heard that split, I remember saying to myself, "holy shit, what are you doing!"  The times in races where I repeated splits like that just felt right and the pace came as it was.  It sure was a good feeling.

Feeling the growl again

the mile (4:40).  It was achieved a couple times as the first mile split of a 5k

And what is that 5K PR again??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

And what is that 5K PR again??

15:05 5k and 9:01 3k.  I always seem to be just right at that edge for the next level.

15:05 5k and 9:01 3k.  I always seem to be just right at that edge for the next level.

dang. 

Congrats RA! Well deserved!

First off, I think everyone who raced in February deserves a hat-tip.  We are all rust-busting at this point.  

It was not an easy decision but the spaniel beer for February has to go to rabutler. His PR for the 5k was 29:02.  He set an impressive goal of 27 minutes and destroyed it, turning in an impressive 24:45!

Kudos, ra!