3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2017 Big Bodacious Goals (Read 40 times)

DoppleBock

Basically what are you stretch goals - You big our there goals that you strive toward and know are near impossible.

Below are my goals that seem stupid to have right now ... Anyone else care to share your hopes and dreams?

My 2017 Big Bodacious Goals

*  May 13 - Sub 8 hour Ice Age 50M ... I'd be happy with sub 10 hour and right now I am maybe in 11-12 hour shape

*  June 3-4 - >= 131 miles FANS 24 Hour ... I'd be really happy with 101 miles ... right now 70 mile shape if my back and hip hold out

*  Fall 2017 Sub 3 marathon ... I could not break 4 hours right now and I do not know if my back and hip will allow for that long of a stride again  I'd be happy with a BQ

*  A late year >= 140 mile 24 hour race

To acheive these goals

*  Weight loss - Must get down between 190-200# (Will not happen by Ice Age or FANS)

*  Mileage - 3,600 to 4,200 miles

*  Weekly speed work

*  Willingness to do complimentary work (Back, Core & stuff that strengthens hip and knee stabalizing muscles)

*  Sacrafice some family time (Not a lot - but some)

*  Sacrifice some beer / booze time - Well actually a lot of beer / booze time (Only a couple drinking days a month - Notice I did not say drinks per month, but drinking days)

January Goal 250 miles - Actual 360

February Goal 300 Miles -

March Goal 360 Miles -

I am not thinking past that time as my past history does not warrant it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I have two. Last year was a total injury-riddled disaster. I had several months essentially completely off, lost all my running fitness, and am now trying to push the rock up the hill all over again from square one. Progress is happening, but I have a lonnnnng way to go.

Goal one, just BQ. Well, no, not just BQ, exactly. I did run a BQ the last two times and missed the cutoff on both by a combined total of 7 seconds. So yeah, a BQ that's actually good enough to get in is stretch goal #1.

Goal #2, which is actually much more important to me than goal #1... Run and complete the Ghost Train 100 miler again. I did it in 2013 in 23:05. This time the goal is much bigger and stretchier. I want to hit 100 sub 20 hours and then go out for another 15 miles (out and back course, as many multiples as you want, etc.) and finish that under my 23:05 100 mile time from last time.

Both of them seem ridiculously far from anything I'm remotely capable of right now, but I'm working on it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

DoppleBock

So would that be the Ghost Train 24 hour if you run more than 100 miles ?  I guess you just want bonus miles

So would that be the Ghost Train 24 hour if you run more than 100 miles ?  I guess you just want bonus miles

Essentially yeah, for me anyway. The whole trail is only 7.5 miles long, so it's really as many 15 mile out and backs as one wants to do within 30 hours, and as long as you do 2 of them it's considered an official ultra finish. For those going for 100 there's a 5 mile turnaround on the last lap so it comes out an even 100 rather than 105. From there you can, if you so choose, go out for another full 15 or however many of them you want to do. I have zero interest in continuing on past 24 hours, so that bonus 15 will only come into play if I can get it done within my own arbitrary time frame.

BTW, WG was there this past year and is on the waitlist for this year. I am too, for that matter, but I know I'll get in. In past years everybody on the waitlist has gotten in. Just throwin' it out there...

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

DoppleBock

I believe WG has joined Rambo 4 on his river boat and gotten sucked into the culture.  Not sure when she will find her way home to the states.  Anything like that is not in the cards for 2017.  I am going to keep my racing within 10 hour drive of home (Nashville is 10 hours).

Unless I think I can run a billion miles in a 24 hour race - Them I may travel in December.

I will save up my nickels and travel in 2018.

BTW, WG was there this past year and is on the waitlist for this year. I am too, for that matter, but I know I'll get in. In past years everybody on the waitlist has gotten in. Just throwin' it out there...

Feeling the growl again

Get my weight to 155 or under

Auto qualifier for NYC Marathon

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

About the same.

Lose some weight. Min of 5 pounds.

Run consistently.

Race XC.

Get my weight to 155 or under

Auto qualifier for NYC Marathon

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

Prince of Fatness

Lose weight.  Right.

I just found out that there is a 10 mile trail race at one of the state parks that I love to run in.  I'm familiar with all of the trails.  Lots of hills.  That's the end of May.  My small, unbodacious goal is to run a respectable time there.  Not sure what that is yet.  A lot of it depends whether I finally get serious about losing some weight.

Not at it at all. 

- Learn to actually run in Florabama weather.

- Pensacola Marathon, don't embarrass myself (I guess that's sub 5 at present fitness, but need to learn to actually maintain effort for 3+ hours again)

- Key West Half, sub-1:45.

DoppleBock

End of Q1 check in

I am not losing weight fast enough ... so I would expect the Ice Age 50 Mile will be run slower to allow for recovery time (3 weeks) to the FANS 24 Hour Race.  The rest of the goals are still achievable.

Jan 250 - Check

Feb 300 - Check

Mar 360 - Check

April 400

May 350

June 350

Basically what are you stretch goals - You big our there goals that you strive toward and know are near impossible.

Below are my goals that seem stupid to have right now ... Anyone else care to share your hopes and dreams?

My 2017 Big Bodacious Goals

*  May 13 - Sub 8 hour Ice Age 50M ... I'd be happy with sub 10 hour and right now I am maybe in 11-12 hour shape

*  June 3-4 - >= 131 miles FANS 24 Hour ... I'd be really happy with 101 miles ... right now 70 mile shape if my back and hip hold out

*  Fall 2017 Sub 3 marathon ... I could not break 4 hours right now and I do not know if my back and hip will allow for that long of a stride again  I'd be happy with a BQ

*  A late year >= 140 mile 24 hour race

To acheive these goals

*  Weight loss - Must get down between 190-200# (Will not happen by Ice Age or FANS)

*  Mileage - 3,600 to 4,200 miles

*  Weekly speed work

*  Willingness to do complimentary work (Back, Core & stuff that strengthens hip and knee stabalizing muscles)

*  Sacrafice some family time (Not a lot - but some)

*  Sacrifice some beer / booze time - Well actually a lot of beer / booze time (Only a couple drinking days a month - Notice I did not say drinks per month, but drinking days)

January Goal 250 miles - Actual 360

February Goal 300 Miles -

March Goal 360 Miles -

I am not thinking past that time as my past history does not warrant it.

Prince of Fatness

Lose weight.  Right.

I just found out that there is a 10 mile trail race at one of the state parks that I love to run in.  I'm familiar with all of the trails.  Lots of hills.  That's the end of May.  My small, unbodacious goal is to run a respectable time there.  Not sure what that is yet.  A lot of it depends whether I finally get serious about losing some weight.

Negative.   The weight is holding me back, for sure.  Part of it is beer, but I also have reverted back to my snacking habits of yesteryear.  I ran this race Sunday and I can tell that there is gas in the tank (been running ~30 MPW consistently for the past year).  I can just feel the weight holding me back pace wise.  I'm just not motivated to take the pounds off for whatever reason.

There is a November HM that I am running with a couple of friends.  Let's try again.

One thing that I noticed is that while I am running enough I am not varying pace at all.  Starting next week I am going to start mixing in fartleks once a week then take it from there.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

I stopped losing weight because I am drinking way too much beer.  I ended up running mile 10-25 way too fast and this race was much warmer than I like, so I struggled the last 10 miles.  50 in @ 9:30 ... It should have been 10:00.  My ankle ended up so beat up that it is still swollen 10 days later.  I have made a treatment plan and hope to stitch it back together by FANS 24 in 11 days.

Overall I have struggled with meeting a lot of my weekly goals, except the miles part.  At least I have lost enough weight and feel pretty good that I am achieving the number #1 ... to be able to enjoy running, other fitness related activities and be healthier.

I may never find my hardcore training mojo again ... But I do have some half ass training mojo, so I have that going for me.

Now to hit the FANS goals

*  Do not ruin my body and have to go on IR

*  Minimum  mileage 101

*  Stretch mileage 200k.

End of Q1 check in

I am not losing weight fast enough ... so I would expect the Ice Age 50 Mile will be run slower to allow for recovery time (3 weeks) to the FANS 24 Hour Race.  The rest of the goals are still achievable.

Jan 250 - Check

Feb 300 - Check

Mar 360 - Check

April 400

May 350

June 350

Ostrich runner

Anyone interested in moseying through this with me? https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=48086

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

DoppleBock

Looks beautiful ... Date does not work.

Anyone interested in moseying through this with me? https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=48086

Prince of Fatness

Negative.   The weight is holding me back, for sure.  Part of it is beer, but I also have reverted back to my snacking habits of yesteryear.  I ran this race Sunday and I can tell that there is gas in the tank (been running ~30 MPW consistently for the past year).  I can just feel the weight holding me back pace wise.  I'm just not motivated to take the pounds off for whatever reason.

There is a November HM that I am running with a couple of friends.  Let's try again.

One thing that I noticed is that while I am running enough I am not varying pace at all.  Starting next week I am going to start mixing in fartleks once a week then take it from there.

OK.  I am signed up for the half.  And, the last week I started mixing in some fartleks.  It felt good changing up the paces.  I'm going to try to keep consistent with those through the summer and then add in some other faster paced stuff once the cool weather returns.  I've also been running a lot of trails as of late which has provided me with plenty of hill work.

Not at it at all.