3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Racing Thread (Read 1334 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Ouch dude. That sucks. Hope you heal up quick.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I hope you get better soon, Toast. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

C-R

Heal up quickly BT.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That's terrible!! Really glad you're okay.

Dang BT...if that's not a legit reason to DNS, I don't know what is.  Glad to see the memories came back.  Heal up and I hope you're back on the horse soon enough.

DNS

Thats the last thing I remember until I was getting shuffled to the CAT scan room for a head scan. I apparently went over mt bars and hit my head on the pavement. I was unconscious for several minutes, and was taking to the ER. I was at the ER for at least a half an hour before my wife showed up to tell them who I was and what I was doing that morning as I had no clue. The ER doctors drew blood, ran and EKG and CAT scan on me and didn't find any abnormalities. When I finally started coming around and remembering who I was, the doc started questioning me as to what I thought happened as the paramedics were told very little at the since. My helmet should have accompanied me to the ER and my bike was already removed from the scene when paramedics arrived so they had no clue as to what may have caused a crash. I remembered turning around and told the doctor that I may have been reaching down to flip the cable lever down an my brakes when I crashed. He thought that was very plausible and could explain why a healthy, middle aged, athletic person could all of the sudden crash by himself.

I've got some pretty nice road rash from the top of my left shoulder to my forearm. My left eye is black and blue. My left cheek is swollen and my left ear is a mess. Both my knees are also road rushed. I still have a headache and was told I had a Grade III Concussion, but will live to race another day and I guess thats what is important.

Wow BT! Glad  you're ok.  Heal up quickly man!  .... so how's the bike?

Thanks for the support everyone.

Tony. I haven't looked it over yet. I'm a little nervous that I might find some damage to the carbon frame and don't need that right now. I took a quick look and found my base bar is road rashed pretty good on the left side and my elbow pads are bent. My chain was off for some reason, but a friend of mine that helped my wife load it into the car said the front wheel was still straight. I don't plan on riding it for awhile, so I'll have to look it over closely sooner then later.

Apparently in the ambulance and at the ER, I kept asking over and over again where my bike was and if it was okay.......priorities!

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for the support everyone.

Tony. I haven't looked it over yet. I'm a little nervous that I might find some damage to the carbon frame and don't need that right now. I took a quick look and found my base bar is road rashed pretty good on the left side and my elbow pads are bent. My chain was off for some reason, but a friend of mine that helped my wife load it into the car said the front wheel was still straight. I don't plan on riding it for awhile, so I'll have to look it over closely sooner then later.

It sounds like you weren't moving too fast?  Hopefully the bike weathered the incident better than your noggin.  Again, very glad you are ok.  Seems like every time I toy with the idea of dusting off my bike I read something scary like this...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It sounds like you weren't moving too fast?  Hopefully the bike weathered the incident better than your noggin.  Again, very glad you are ok.  Seems like every time I toy with the idea of dusting off my bike I read something scary like this...

I finally got around to uploading my Garmin data from that ride..err, um fall. It's kind of cool and shows right where I crashed. Since I never hit stop, it also recorded when the race director picked it up and put it in the back of a truck and drove it back to the transition area, walked it over to the timing guy, then walked it over to the volunteer table.

The last data point before I crashed showed I was going 16.1 mph which is not fast at all. This crash should not have happened and will not keep me off my bike. I'm pretty sure now that it was a couple stupid mistakes (not having my helmet buckled and my brakes adjusted before getting on the bike) on my part that defiantly will not happen again. Thankfully I am able to live and learn.

BTW Spaniel, if a guy like you had any biking skills at all and marginal swimming skills, you would rock at triathlons with the way you run.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

The last data point before I crashed showed I was going 16.1 mph which is not fast at all.

BTW Spaniel, if a guy like you had any biking skills at all and marginal swimming skills, you would rock at triathlons with the way you run.

Crap, I would consider biting it at 16.1mph to be quite a fast fall.

My biking skills were OK, back in college when I was a mid-34 10K runner I could hit about 19-20mph average for a 16-20 mile duathlon/triathlon segment.  I only biked in races and maybe 1-2 times per month to do that.  I have to assume that if I were in 32min 10K shape my biking would also improve.  This was on an old chro-moly bike too big for me as well.

The limit has always been and still is the swim.  I'd need to dedicate serious time to that, my technique is abysmal.  I finished 2nd in both duathlons I did but about a third back through the pack on both triathlons, after getting out of the water last and next to last on them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Purdey

Self anointed title

Shit. Glad you are (relatively) ok. That sounds very nasty indeed. Heal soon.

Feeling the growl again

Damn, I knew this was going to be a hard one....

MandyS had several excellent (and PR, dang, what a 5K) performances this month, but she's well on her way to a free six-pack so I'm inclined to use that as a tiebreaker....

mgerwn's PR....nice...

Free beers at the next opportunity for Purdey and Diamond J.  

Purdey for...well....being one tough SOB.  The mental determination and toughness that I'm sure that race must have taken reflect the attitude in here.  His finish time is dang respectable and he's got the buckle to show for it.

Diamond J for breaking through a very meaningful barrier in the 5K.  I've been following him for over a year now, and so I'm wrapping in all of the work and overall improvement level into this decision.  Here's someone who has set their mind to something and doggedly pursued it.

Congrats guys.