3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Schedule Change; Training Change (Read 31 times)

My parental custody schedule has changed, and it looks like my running schedule is going to have to, also.

My new schedule leaves me free to run Saturday through Wednesday morning. Wednesday evening through Saturday afternoon, I have my two. This is different from my old schedule, where my two were with me on Tuesday nights (after school) and Wednesday mornings, then again with me Th, Fri, and half of Saturday.

Old Schedule:

Mon: AM or PM run, usually easy

Tue: AM run, maybe, easy

Wed: PM run, usually intervals, sometimes a MLR

Th: AM run, maybe...recovery

Fri: Off

Sat: AM or PM, tempo or hill workout

Sun: long run.

(I've italicized the Tuesday and Thursday runs....they were pretty optional)

New Schedule:

Mon: AM or PM run.....

Tue: AM or PM....

Wed: AM......treadmill.

Th: Off

Fri: Off

Sat: AM or PM, tempo or hill workout

Sun: Long run

So what I liked about my old schedule was that it allowed me the flexibility of not having two days off in a row, and also gave me Wednesdays free, a traditional middle-of-week long run opportunity. Saturdays I'd do a tempo run, and then a long run on Sunday, and fill in the blanks on other days with easy miles. Or something.

So my new schedule, at least during the winter, pretty much mandates that I take Thursdays and Fridays off.....not that that's a bad thing, especially parent-wise; but I do know that a lot of training plans stagger their off days.

I guess I'm a little perplexed on what to do Monday through Wednesday. Should I follow up Sunday's long run with a recovery run on Monday, then do something more strenuous on Tuesday, then an easy run on Wednesday? It seems like I'm starting my training week (beginning Saturdays) with two big workouts, which would make Monday an ideal day off. But I'm hesitant to do that, since, well, I already have two days off ahead of me.

I'm pretty sure the answer is right in front of me, I just need to know how some of you others would schedule their runs, especially with a popular marathon in Boston coming up, mid-April.

Thanks!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Could you do a workout on Monday and Wednesday and run long on Saturday?

MTA: You could maybe even add a workout during your long run since you'd be pretty well rested.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Option A:  Add a workout on Wednesday.  You are going to have two days completely off, so it would seem logical to make this your most demanding workout of the week.  Saturday would be a more moderated workout of some kind, with the long run on Sunday and you could listen to how you feel in deciding how hard to work that.

Option B:  What WhoDat said.

Best of luck with the changes.  The running will work out, being a dad comes first.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Option A:  Add a workout on Wednesday.  You are going to have two days completely off, so it would seem logical to make this your most demanding workout of the week.  Saturday would be a more moderated workout of some kind, with the long run on Sunday and you could listen to how you feel in deciding how hard to work that.

Option B:  What WhoDat said.

Best of luck with the changes.  The running will work out, being a dad comes first.

When I first read your proposal, Option A is what immediately jumped to mind.  It would allow you to get the quality work in without compromising recovery.

You noted that your Wed run could involve a treadmill.  Do you not have that available Thu or Fri?  I know for many that have kids, treadmill runs at home become more frequent.  I take advantage of that when I can as it minimizes time away from the house and still allows time for the life balancing act.

C-R

The running will work out, being a dad comes first.

This.

What WhoDat said + you could do a hard Wed and Sat and then follow up with a long recovery run on Sunday. Alternating every other week to keep things from getting stale.

I guess the fun part will be creating your new rhythm for the run.

I'm assuming Thu and Fri could be core or 30 minute non-running workouts with the kids.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I'm liking the WhoDat/ Option A thing....Put more into Saturday, Monday and Wednesday. Run easy and long on Sunday, and do some recovery miles on Tuesday.

Currently my runs Mon-Wed are on a TM, at a gym: too dark/ cold right now; I don't have a TM at home and probably wouldn't get one for a variety of reasons.

The "being a Dad" part comes pretty easy to me; the hardest part of this schedule change is that I don't see my two from Saturday afternoon until Wednesday. I mean, it's sort of great to say goodbye on Saturday and then take a spectacular nap.....but then the "waking-up-and-realizing-nobody-is-around-except-the-cats" part is an unqualified buzzkill.

Once outdoor track season starts (April?), I can run on Thursdays...my two are on a track team which practices then, and many other parents put a few miles in while their little ones form a scrum around the long-jump.

Feeling the growl again

The "being a Dad" part comes pretty easy to me; the hardest part of this schedule change is that I don't see my two from Saturday afternoon until Wednesday. I mean, it's sort of great to say goodbye on Saturday and then take a spectacular nap.....but then the "waking-up-and-realizing-nobody-is-around-except-the-cats" part is an unqualified buzzkill.

Once outdoor track season starts (April?), I can run on Thursdays...my two are on a track team which practices then, and many other parents put a few miles in while their little ones form a scrum around the long-jump.

You know, I have to thank you for the kick in the ass.  My kids are at the age where sometimes I find myself wishing they would just disappear and leave me some time alone now and again.  But really if I got my wish I would regret it.  Enjoy every minute you get, man.  They grow up too fast.  My little boy started walking today...I'm sure tomorrow he will be asking for the car keys and trying to bum some cash.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills