3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Day of the week for the LONG run (Read 204 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm going a little off topic here, but my solution to the early morning races is to get up 2-3 hours before the race and eat early.  A shower and coffee help get my system going too.

Yup.  But I limit the caffeine if it's an ultra so I don't do something stupid like forget to turn on my GPS and go out running 6:50s.  Black eye

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

???

I do my long run on what ever day works best.  Last week it was Friday.

I look at a training plan as workouts and recovery - If I have 2 speed workouts and 1 long run, I do not discriminate against any days of the week.  I will fit those workouts into whatever days fit and feel the best.

Jan - Mar we are pretty busy on weekends, so I will usually do more training M-F and easier stuff SA-SU.

To me SA or SU - The choice should be on how it fits your schedule ... it really does not matter what day the goal race falls on.  If you were running Boston, I guess you would have to do all your long runs on Monday ?-Smile-

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

Same as Dopplebock - I run it whatever day makes most sense in my overall schedule.  Since I'm a M-F worker-bee that usually falls on either Saturday or Sunday but I've been known to get it done after work during the week.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I usually do long run on a weekend, but if the opportunity coincides with feeling good, I might do it on a weekday.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All of this assumes a 7 day regular training cycle. Some argue for 10 day cycles. Or other length cycles. Nothing magical about 7 days other than how it aligns with work.  For me, I often have more flexibility during the week and 1 out of 3 or 4 weekends I have 9-11 hour shifts + 1 hour commute. On those weekends, my long runs easily fall during the week or I don't do them at all.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Which day of the week you run long will have zero impact on your race.

Running long at the same time of day as your race start might help, mainly psychologically.

My thought was getting used to running long on the day that I will race. If things don't work (life, work, family, recovery needed) I have no problem switching up the days. I was thinking it may not be a bad idea to run my long runs at the same time and day as the race. Adjusting the training plan back a day is no big deal either so I'm looking for a reason NOT to switch it up so the long run and race are on the same day of the week.

Do the elites and next teir runners change the schedule if the race falls on a Saturday?

That's how I took it.  Still, I agree with the other guys: Don't sweat it.  My long run is always on Saturday.  Every marathon I've ever run has been on a Sunday. It's never struck me as an issue.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hmmm, I posted to Hansons FB a day or two ago and asked them the same question. They posted that I should keep the schedule as is and adjust my taper to fit the Saturday race.

Hansons plan is like this:

M - Easy

T - Intervals

W - rest

Th - M-pace tempo

F - Easy

Sa - Easy

Su - Long

easy days are 1 to 2 minutes slower then marathon pace and should become recovery (closer to 2 minutes) if you are feeling overly drained.

I was somewhat worried about just flipping the long run from Sunday to Saturday because that only gave me one day of recovery after a quality workout like a tempo run. I tried to do a Phitz 18-55 plan last year for a HM and gave myself a stress reaction (could have been a fracture but I never went in) as I think I never fully recovered from all the up tempo stuff so I'm now a little gun shy of overdoing it.

I know, I know, don't be a slave to the plan, listen to your body, slow down, HTFU blah-blah-blah.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DoppleBock

I take this as

1 day of intervals (1 rest/easy day before)

1 day of Tempo (1 rest/easy day before)

1 Day of long (2 rest/easy days before)

Put it together anyway you want

M Easy/Rest

T Easy/Rest

W Long

TH Easy/Rest

F Tempo

SA Easy/Rest

SU Interval

Hmmm, I posted to Hansons FB a day or two ago and asked them the same question. They posted that I should keep the schedule as is and adjust my taper to fit the Saturday race.

Hansons plan is like this:

M - Easy

T - Intervals

W - rest

Th - M-pace tempo

F - Easy

Sa - Easy

Su - Long

easy days are 1 to 2 minutes slower then marathon pace and should become recovery (closer to 2 minutes) if you are feeling overly drained.

I was somewhat worried about just flipping the long run from Sunday to Saturday because that only gave me one day of recovery after a quality workout like a tempo run. I tried to do a Phitz 18-55 plan last year for a HM and gave myself a stress reaction (could have been a fracture but I never went in) as I think I never fully recovered from all the up tempo stuff so I'm now a little gun shy of overdoing it.

I know, I know, don't be a slave to the plan, listen to your body, slow down, HTFU blah-blah-blah.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !