3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

4th Annual Spaniel Farms Beer Mile - July 27, 2013 (Read 371 times)

Feeling the growl again

MTA:  Date selected - July 27th, 2013.

We've got some new people.  Read this to get caught up on your history, folks.

Time to start thinking about 2013.

- Race will be at my place, near Indianapolis

- Possible dates are Saturdays from the last weekend in June through the first weekend in August.  Mid-July has been the timing of the prior races (July 14th last year).  Typically race ~4pm with BBQ to follow.

- Beer must be 5% ABV....CHANGE....we will allow bottles this year!

- The "track" is an accurately measured 1/4 mile grass oval.  Consider it XC, the former cow track divots are still there and there's a small hill in turn 4.

I would like to have people...who are seriously interested...start thinking about dates.  I will not be selecting the date until late February but it helps plan my calendar to start narrowing it down.  You don't have to be 100% to comment but...you know what I mean.

As usual, lodging is either floor space, tents, or bring your camper if you have one.  Nearest hotels about 10 miles...10 minutes...away.  This is a rural event.

I will provide a keg of local craft beer and the food.  However last year it evolved into an unplanned and quite excellent craft brew swap.  So, I thought this year it would be good to establish beforehand if people want to rely on the keg, or want to plan on bringing say a 6-pack each of various craft brews to pitch in and share?  If someone does not wish to do this and wants to park themselves under the free keg I have no issues with that.  Smile  Thoughts are welcome, I try to improve this event every year.

We had a great event last year, I'm not sure we'll ever see that kind of turnout again but if we do it would be great.

Additional ideas are welcome.

Possibles:

spaniel

C-R

WhoDatRunner

hacker2000

Slo_Hand

mgerwn

Mississippi

Mr Finn

Trent

beef

pfetro

flatfooter

wannaberunner

MTA:  A virtual division is now available if you can't make the live event.  SImply follow the same rules, and use a fairly accurate track on your honor.  Must be completed the same weekend as the live event.  Let me know if you want to participate virtually and I will track that too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Good lord/ I'm still recovering from the last one.

I'm good on all dates from mid June through August.

I can't believe I need to look for a beer that won't fizz.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I can't believe I need to look for a beer that won't fizz.

#1 reason I started the thread.

The quest begins NOW.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Well. Based on tonight's beer selection I would cross Leinenkuegel Winter Vanilla Porter off the list. Very tasty though.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

kcam

Wow, skimmed over last year's thread and photos - that  looks like a great time.  A little too far for me, though.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I wonder what the chances are that I can talk the wife into two day-long drives to meet up with a bunch of imaginary internet friends... to run a mile while drinking.  Well, a guy can try, right?

(Note - don't schedule around me, I'll work with the chosen date if I can.  I have no idea what the summer will bring yet.)

Prince of Fatness

Gotta open this thread early so now I get tortured reading all of this beer mile talk for the good part of a year.  Asshole.

As much fun as this was, and it was tons of fun, put me down as probably not.  Don't factor me into whatever date you pick, but don't rule me out entirely.

I will run another beer mile in 2013 tho.  Just not sure where.

Not at it at all. 

I wonder what the chances are that I can talk the wife into two day-long drives to meet up with a bunch of imaginary internet friends... to run a mile while drinking.  Well, a guy can try, right?

(Note - don't schedule around me, I'll work with the chosen date if I can.  I have no idea what the summer will bring yet.)

Slightly higher than the chances of me persuading my husband we should fly out for it?  GIven he hasn't given in to flying out to Nashville for a marathon, 1/26.2th of the distance is unlikely to persuade him (and he won't be convinced by me running a beer mile as I don't really drink beer...and a whisky mile seems less acceptable or perhaps impossible if I had to match in physical rather than alcohol volume).  If it were hunting season I might be able to try more persuasion...but no, I'm going to be another distant onlooker.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Village people

Well. Based on tonight's beer selection I would cross Leinenkuegel Winter Vanilla Porter off the list. Very tasty though.

That is tasty.

C-R

.and a whisky mile seems less acceptable or perhaps impossible 

Oh now that is an off the wall idea. Definitely no fizz.

Hey spaniel - what about an egg nog mile for the holidays?

Feeling the growl again

If it were hunting season I might be able to try more persuasion...but no, I'm going to be another distant onlooker.

Coyote season is always open.  C-R, WhoDat, and Finn could all attest to how much fun your husband would have here if this is the direction he rolls.

The track was not maintained the year this was taken, but it is hard to miss anyways.  The shooting range does not show up so well in this one.

Feeling the growl again

Hey spaniel - what about an egg nog mile for the holidays?

Now that sounds masochistic....after watching two teammates try the whole drinking a gallon of milk in half an hour thing in college, I don't think I could even try.

C-R

Now that sounds masochistic....after watching two teammates try the whole drinking a gallon of milk in half an hour thing in college, I don't think I could even try.

I think four 12 oz glasses would be more than enough.

EggNog

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Does Westvleteren fizz?

C-R

Does Westvleteren fizz?

Not sure just yet but we will find out soon enough.

Plus if this is what you would use for a beer mile, we may be required to have you get some professional help. Wink