3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ditch the shoes or keep going? (Read 22 times)

Debating what to do here.  My favorite pair of shoes (Adidas Boston Boost) to run in have almost 750 miles in them.  The fit is great and I love how they feel when I run.  Do I keep running in them or am I risking too much?  The structure feels fine.  What I like about them the most is that I feel like a get a better foot strike with them.  I have a pair of Hoka's that are OK, a pair of Adidas Energy Boost (not the same as the Boston Boost and I don't like this pair that much), and a pair of Mizuno Wave riders in rotation.  It seems like every time I try and go find the same shoe that works well, it's a new year/model with some little tweak to it that changes how it feels.

Feeling the growl again

It's totally personal.  But I'd go ahead and get the new year model of the same shoe and see how it feels.  Often I've thought a shoe was fine until I tried on a new one and realized how hard the old one had gotten.

I run all my outdoor shoes to 700 miles.  Many (many) years ago I experimented up to 1000 miles and found 700 to be the safe cut-off which always avoiding foot/leg niggles arising.

Treadmill shoes still get 1000 because with the deck cushioning they don't wear as fast.

One of the reasons I settled on Mizuno is that, with one exception when they discontinued the Wave Precision, I've gone about 15 years without having to re-find a new favorite shoe because the year updates were very minor and did not change the fit for me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Jesh mbehr.. you are killing it right now.

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

It's totally personal.  But I'd go ahead and get the new year model of the same shoe and see how it feels.  Often I've thought a shoe was fine until I tried on a new one and realized how hard the old one had gotten.

I run all my outdoor shoes to 700 miles.  Many (many) years ago I experimented up to 1000 miles and found 700 to be the safe cut-off which always avoiding foot/leg niggles arising.

Treadmill shoes still get 1000 because with the deck cushioning they don't wear as fast.

One of the reasons I settled on Mizuno is that, with one exception when they discontinued the Wave Precision, I've gone about 15 years without having to re-find a new favorite shoe because the year updates were very minor and did not change the fit for me.

Thanks for the input.  I usually call it for shoes at 500-600 because I'm "sensitive" to worn shoes.  This is about the longest I have ever gone with a pair.  I was surprised to see what mileage they have on them and how well they still feel.  I'll see what I can find of the same shoe.  Because I liked the Boston Boost so much, I thought I'd get a pair of the Energy Boost.  Thought they would be very similar.  They're not.  Should have done my research a little better.

I keep a pair of treadmill only shoes too and find that they don't wear as fast either.  The only issue with them is how much I sweat and the cycles of them getting soaked and drying out.

For trainers, I've liked the Mizuno Wave Riders, Brooks Ghost, and Asics Gel-Nimbus.  I've found all of these to be very similar in fit for my feet and foot strike.  Some of the changes in the Wave Riders and Ghost have been very noticeable.

Jesh mbehr.. you are killing it right now.

Thanks.  Finding a good balance right now and I know that I have a long ways to go in building fitness and strength.  Trying to do what I can for setting myself up for a good race in October but yet keeping me off that Sucker Punch thread.

Getting the added weight off from the past 10 months is helping too.  I've worked off 10 lbs from my max and have about 4 more to go for where I'd like to be.