3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Lifting Thread (Read 602 times)

I'm at the sad end of this spectrum, but I can say that I've finally started doing something other than just running. And by something, I mean just barely something, at that. After browbeating myself the last few years for never having the energy/willpower to do anything but just run, I've started doing pushups. That's it, just pushups. And barely any at that. I decided to approach it much the same as one would start running. The first week, I did 10 pushups a day, 6 days a week. The second week, 11, and so on. Now I'm up to the whopping total of 14 a day, but hey, that means I've kept at it for over 4 weeks, so it's something. Once I get it to 20 per day I'll start building toward a second set. Ultimately I'd like to get the total up to 50. Far off, but so far so good, and better than nothing.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Kalsarikännit

Maybe we should do the 100 push-up challenge in here.

I really like lifting and do it several times a week.  Periodically I get away from it and end up feeling terrible.  I just hate the feeling of being weak.  When I'm not doing it I have these crazy dreams that I am dangling off the end of a building and can't pull myself up.  Plus it just feels nice to have good triceps.  The women will understand.  It is solid or it is jiggly.  

I don't do a lot of legs other than squats.  I want to do more lunges, but it irritates my peroneal tendon.  Romanian deadlifts and back extensions (or supermans) with core work helps for a strong back.  A few other basics that I love are bent over lateral raises and regular lateral raises, french curls, chest press and flys, rows and shoulder presses.

I have had a lot of luck keeping the piriformis away since I have been doing hip abduction and adduction three times a week.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

The responses here got me fired up and I just dropped down onto my palms to see how many pushups I could do.  The pain shooting up my right arm was intense.

Crapola.  Sad

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Maybe we should do the 100 push-up challenge in here.

We'll have to start this AFTER spaniels wrist heals!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Yes, I'd say I'd keep up one-armed, but the days of me doing pushups with one of the women's team members sitting cross-legged on my shoulders are long, long in the past....no way in hell I could do 50, much less 100, gimpy wrist or not.

So many reasons to be young again.  Oh well, at least my liver is stronger than it used to be.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

When people are doing sit-ups are we talking anchored (feet being held down or under the couch or something) or unanchored?

Kalsarikännit

Good idea.  Spaniel, say the word when you are ready and I will start up a thread and anyone who wants to do the six week plan can join in.  We can all bitch/brag together.  It will be good motivation.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Hawt and sexy

I have not done a regular weight program since HS. I should do at least a little bit of this crap/

I'm touching your pants.

When people are doing sit-ups are we talking anchored (feet being held down or under the couch or something) or unanchored?

Kids holding the feet down, knees bent.  I can't do one unanchored with legs straight.  Sad.

I am up for this challenge as long as it does not involve alcohol. also sad.

Feeling the growl again

Good idea.  Spaniel, say the word when you are ready and I will start up a thread and anyone who wants to do the six week plan can join in.  We can all bitch/brag together.  It will be good motivation.

Nice link.  Thanks for that, I will be looking at that.

FWIW I just determined that I CAN do pushups...at least for awhile....if I keep my right hand in a fist with my knuckles on the ground.  See, I'm not such a pansy after all.  I knocked out 30 with good form before I decided I may be pushing it too far.  So I can do at least 30....perhaps up to 40, no way in hell I would make 50.  So category 4.  Not an awful place to start.

A Saucy Wench

I did the pushup challenge for awhile but truth be told I got bored.  I usually stop at 25 reps just because it is time to move on to something else.   I dont do that many of normal pushups - once I get to the point where I can do 20 easily I start in on the variations.  pike, decline, medicine ball pass, plyo, scorpion, divebombers, wallstand. 

Ooooh I should try divebombers again, havent done those in awhile, those f'in suck.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

I did the pushup challenge for awhile but truth be told I got bored.  I usually stop at 25 reps just because it is time to move on to something else.   I dont do that many of normal pushups - once I get to the point where I can do 20 easily I start in on the variations.  pike, decline, medicine ball pass, plyo, scorpion, divebombers, wallstand. 

Ooooh I should try divebombers again, havent done those in awhile, those f'in suck.

Huh?  Color me genuinely confused.  There are pushups and there are non-pushups.  Is this like fushia, aqua, clementine, and eggshell?  There was a clever facebook pic on this recently.

FWIW with some exercises that's why I don't know what my all-time max was...past 20-30 there was little reason to continue to failure and I moved on...

A Saucy Wench

Huh?  Color me genuinely confused.  There are pushups and there are non-pushups.  Is this like fushia, aqua, clementine, and eggshell?  There was a clever facebook pic on this recently.

FWIW with some exercises that's why I don't know what my all-time max was...past 20-30 there was little reason to continue to failure and I moved on...

They are just harder variations and work slightly different angles and different portions of the pec, shoulder and triceps.  I can do probably 30 ish normal pushups.  10 plyo hand clap thingys.  Last time I tried divebombers I managed 7 1/2  before I literally fell on my face.  Its just like adding weight - once you can do 20 you need to add difficulty. I forgot to list wide, narrow and diamond to the list. 

My favorite are medicine ball pass.  But I dont know if they are my favorite because they are harder (they are) or because people at the gym seem to be impressed by them.  I'm all about showing up the teenage boys.  (Start with one arm on a medicine ball.  Do a pushup.  In the up position pass it to the other hand, do a pushup...etc.)

The variations are also good if you are getting stuck because one area is weaker than others.  some are more pec instensive, some are more tricep intensive, some throw in a bit more delt, etc.  Focus on the weak area for awhile and normal ones become easier.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Wow, so many variations.  I think the divebombers are similar to what others call Judo style but I'm not sure.  If they are, yes, they suck.

A Saucy Wench

Divebombers are the ones they like to show in military movies.  Downdog pose, scoop down like you are passing your body under a barricade, end in cobra, scoop back under the barricade to down dog.