3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Lifting Thread (Read 602 times)

Divebombers are the ones they like to show in military movies.  Downdog pose, scoop down like you are passing your body under a barricade, end in cobra, scoop back under the barricade to down dog. 

Yep, same thing.  My brother does a lot of Thai Chi and those are about the only style push-ups he does.

A Saucy Wench

Not a stellar workout today.  Most of the lifts today called for "to failure" - not good on a low motivation day.  I get bored around 15.  I finally got wise to my patheticness and added weight to the rest so I would fail sooner.  I did get I think a Hammercurl PR today.  So that is something.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ostrich runner

I might give the 100 pushup challenge another go. My wife said I'm starting to get moobie. Then again, she used to bench 175% of her body weight.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

However, I could add some pushups into the routine, just for some strength and muscle tone in the upper body.

OK I just did my core routine and started off with pushups.  I managed 10.  Damn, I suck.  I am going to keep doing them 3x a week and if I get to around 30 I would be very happy.

Not at it at all. 

Managed 50 + 25 push ups with 2 min rest.  Funny how I manged to fail on the last rep I was hoping for each set.  Maybe next time I should start out with a higher target.

A Saucy Wench

Managed 50 + 25 push ups with 2 min rest.  Funny how I manged to fail on the last rep I was hoping for each set.  Maybe next time I should start out with a higher target.

Heh, sounds like a friend I used to train.  If I told her to go to fail she did maybe 13 reps, if I told her to go until I told her to stop she did 20+

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I managed 2 sets of 10 push ups and 10 sit ups. I hate strength training because I suck at it, but I'll see if I can keep it up. I have to do exercises for my ankle every day, so I don't really have an excuse to not do the push ups and sit ups.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Just completed week 5 of my incremental pushup plan. Tomorrow I move up to 15 a day. Considering it'll be sometime after I "run" Boston-ThermoSlog-2012 it should be interesting.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

This looks like a fun thread.  I'm a better lifter than runner... or at least I once was.

My best bench press was 325 (with a pause) at a body weight of 162.  That was before shoulder surgery. 

Best squat in competition was 457, and deadlift was 496. The weights were in kilos, which is the reason for the odd numbers.

About a month ago there was a pushup, pullup, situp contest at the military base where I work.  I entered just to see how I'd do and I was second place in pushups with 71 in 60 seconds, situps were second, and I didn't go all out because I wanted to rest for the pullups but got 45, then I did 22 pullups in 60 seconds. The pullups were full extension and I strained a bicep tendon, so I'm not going full extension when I do pullups now.

I've thought about the 100 pushup thing, but never have tried it.  I get in the weightroom about once a week, sometimes twice.

I'd love to see if I could get my bench back up to where it was. Don't know if my shoulder will hold up. Maybe the 100 pushups would be a good goal.  Is there a similar program for pullups?

Also, I think it would be cool to be able to do the scorpion pose in yoga... but I don't do yoga, so that may be a problem.

Feeling the growl again

My best bench press was 325 (with a pause) at a body weight of 162.  

^^^respect^^^

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks Andy, I needed to play this in the background for effect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM

^^^respect^^^

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I decided to give the 100 Push Up Challenge a shot since it works with what I'm doing at the moment. Week 1, Day 1 done.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I decided to give the 100 Push Up Challenge a shot since it works with what I'm doing at the moment. Week 1, Day 1 done.

Hey your supposed to wait for the rest of us lol.

Oh and I plan on getting back to lifting starting tomorrow

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hey your supposed to wait for the rest of us lol.

I figured I could use a head start. Wink

A Saucy Wench

OK all my benchmarks:

Pushups 32
                                Pullups 2 - shoulder on the mend?
                                Full dips 4.5 then I couldnt control the swinging
                                Bicep 25 lb - 11, 30 lb 2
                                Parallel wall sit - 2 min (was I bored or done?)

Seated cable row 100 lbs x 8
                                Straight leg hanging abs - 20. 

MTA forgot rows