3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

False starting (Read 515 times)

Feeling the growl again

It seems I just can't get this training thing going...I get a good week going and then something happens.  This week I had 5 solid days then got sick with accompanying fatigue bad enough to not run...2 days off.  As I get better I screw up my lower back badly...at least I was making wine when I did it...three days off.

We'll try to toe the line again tomorrow....right before I embark on a 5-day business trip.  Sigh.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I false started for 16 months - Until I discovered I was jumping into training to hard ... I needed to build up the workouts - I started with 60% effort and I am now up to 80% effort.  I needed to change my paradigm of how to jump back into "Training" tageting just moderately good training instead of really good or almost great efforts.  It felt really half-ass, but every week I get a little better.  I figure slow, steady improvement is better than starting and stopping.

I know the mileage I am doing may look a little different than I am talking about - But it is not about mileage as much about effort.  Instead of easy days, I am running "recovery" speed most often.  Speed workouts are only 50-60% of when I am training hard.  I am much more focussed on doing whatever it takes for recovery than a couple more miles on easy days.

I think we make 1-2 choices in a week that are the different between being solid and breaking down.  It might be as simple as running on easy run too fast, or Choosing to do 1 more mile repeat that completely exhausts us or doing 2 harder days back-to-back.

I know i am sounding like an old man - But when you have been in peak fitness a few years prior, your body thinks the workouts are hard that your mind thinks should be easy.  It is hard to re-calibrate for the exact spot you are in this moment.

Just my 2-cents

Plus every time I start feeling completely beaten down - I think ... If I can not train, I might as well drink!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

But when you have been in peak fitness a few years prior, your body thinks the workouts are hard that your mind thinks should be easy.  It is hard to re-calibrate for the exact spot you are in this moment.

This is very accurate and I am very familiar with it.  This was a HUGE hurdle for me to get past, but I think I handle it pretty well now.  

I'm struggling with consistency, despite my best intentions.  Frustrating.  The thing is, November is typically my off season because I have too much other stuff going on.  I remain committed to kicking up a good December/January, when I will have nothing better to do but run and try to soothe a screaming baby 24/7.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Oh yeah. I can relate. It took some friggin effort to string stuff together and that workout from yesterday would have been a simple run last year. I'm struggling with that too but I figure one brick in the wall. I didn't get out of shape in one day so I won't get into shape in one day.

BTW - we need to run at Eagle Creek more consistently this winter once your done killing bambi and his cousins. That should help both our  accountability. 

BTW2 - That's a solid post DB. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

BTW - we need to run at Eagle Creek more consistently this winter once your done killing bambi and his cousins. That should help both our  accountability. 

Yes.  Bambi killing will hopefully be done in a week and a half.  I miss next weekend...opening weekend...with work sending me to Hippie Central.  Dripping irony.  2-3 days in the field the following Fri-Sun and I'll be done if they are moving at all still.  This freakish warm weather has things all mucked up.

I would have had my buck this morning but I am an idiot....I skillfully threaded an arrow through a small hole in the brush at a deer 40 yards away, unfortunately I had 5 seconds between when I saw him and when I had to shoot and errantly selected my 50 yard pin and sent it just over his back.

BTW, I saw a real dandy 8-pointer in Eagle Creek when I ran there last week....biggest I ever saw there...I think I could have run up and whacked him with a club.

Prince of Fatness

I figure slow, steady improvement is better than starting and stopping.

This is the approach that I have taken coming back from my injury.  While I would like to be further along, I have been very consistent and there has been progress, albeit slow.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

I know the EC buck...usually hangs out on the east side on that seldom used area near the highway and sometimes near the Boy Scout trail. 

Is it possible to cram a marathon? I'm hoping to.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

Hey Beef cramming is for backpacks but good luck with that.

Wasn't there a nice 4 pointer over there last year or did he grow up a bit?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

I guess I was giving you the benefit of the doubt - But basically you are saying you do not care enough to do better ... In the day you would have figured out a way to make it happen.

This is very accurate and I am very familiar with it.  This was a HUGE hurdle for me to get past, but I think I handle it pretty well now.  

I'm struggling with consistency, despite my best intentions.  Frustrating.  The thing is, November is typically my off season because I have too much other stuff going on.  I remain committed to kicking up a good December/January, when I will have nothing better to do but run and try to soothe a screaming baby 24/7.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ostrich runner

Fuckin hurtlocker. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I guess I was giving you the benefit of the doubt - But basically you are saying you do not care enough to do better ... In the day you would have figured out a way to make it happen.

Damn.  Tough crowd.

No, I think that read wrong.  It's mostly been sickness and injury lately.  My back is still pissed at me as I sit here.  I'm going to attempt to run with it today anyways.  In the day I did not get injured.

Even in the day November was always my recovery month for the year.  I have other hobbies that can only be done in November that are important because other people depend on me to feed them all year.  I meant more that November is never a 350-mile month for me anyways.  My Thanksgiving weekend races were usually my slowest of the year due to this and I hit it Dec 1.

But when time for my lunch run rolls around, if I find myself rationalizing a reason I cannot get out, I will remember the warm fuzzy tough love here and get my ass out the door.  Wink  My back is improving and I'm not sick enough not to run.

Feeling the growl again

Hey Beef cramming is for backpacks but good luck with that.

Wasn't there a nice 4 pointer over there last year or did he grow up a bit?

I don't know what area you are referring to, but this was right where you make the turn down the old road with the barricade you have to hurdle.

Prince of Fatness

But when time for my lunch run rolls around, if I find myself rationalizing a reason I cannot get out, I will remember the warm fuzzy tough love here and get my ass out the door.  Wink  My back is improving and I'm not sick enough not to run.

Dude, I would kill to be able to run during lunch, especially this time of year.  It's light out.  Just get out there and do it.

Coincidentally, I am working from home today so I get to run during lunch.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Dude, I would kill to be able to run during lunch, especially this time of year.  It's light out.  Just get out there and do it.

Coincidentally, I am working from home today so I get to run during lunch.

Lunch runs I usually...almost always...get out the door if I can make time at work without dropping responsibilities.  Morning runs are where I have work to do.

Prince of Fatness

Lunch runs I usually...almost always...get out the door if I can make time at work without dropping responsibilities.  Morning runs are where I have work to do.

Can't argue that one.  I leave the house for work at 5:30 AM, so running in the morning means that I would have to get up at 4.  That doesn't happen.  Lunch is not an option when I am in the office ... no locker facilities.  So unless I am working from home, which is rare, I run in the afternoon when I am home from work.  I don't sit down, I quickly get changed and out the door I go.

The fact that I would have to get up at 4 AM everyday is what prevents me from ever doing doubles.

Not at it at all.