3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

100 Push Up Challenge (Read 1574 times)

Since I can do these on any of the 15 conference calls/day I attend every day, is there a benefit to doubles and volume in general i.e. do as many as you can one day, take the next day off kind of thing.  

I think you're supposed to do three times per week and follow the schedule of sets in your column.

A Saucy Wench

With weight training you should always take 1 day of rest between.  I tend to do better with 2 days between so I may shuffle it around. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Doing more would possibly have a negative effect.  For strength training, the workout breaks your muscles down, and they build back during the rest period the next day or days.  Theoretically the program has defined the optimal number of reps/sets based on your current fitness, and builds on this with each workout.  Going beyond that for an individual workout, will break your muscles down more than you need to, and you may not be recovered for the next workout... or worse, you could get an injury and be out for a few weeks.

Since I can do these on any of the 15 conference calls/day I attend every day, is there a benefit to doubles and volume in general i.e. do as many as you can one day, take the next day off kind of thing.  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Idiots.

That said, I was one of the idiots in the group for this a couple years back, and I think those of us that got close were all repeating weeks - I was doing more than a day off also, by halfway through, I think.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

51 good ones just now. Feel the burn. I did not think I would get that many. Guess I will start with Week Two.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

May as well resolve to try - I can always wimp out later. Just did test and got 39.

MTA: One thing I learned last time around, was that speed matters. Faster pushups = higher number. I did them as fast as I could, to get the highest number I could Smile

Ostrich runner

How hard are we supposed to push on the test? Oftentimes when I have tried to max out while out of shape, I injure myself. I'm pretty sure I could do 25 and still move, but I could probably push 40 and tear stuff.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have no idea, but pushing to injury sounds like a bad risk.

Feeling the growl again

How hard are we supposed to push on the test? Oftentimes when I have tried to max out while out of shape, I injure myself. I'm pretty sure I could do 25 and still move, but I could probably push 40 and tear stuff.

When I am out of shape, the first intense upper body workout will typically make me painfully sore (microtears I guess).  This is why I waited until after the marathon to do the test.  I did a moderate amount of workout with pushups and bench yesterday....I am hoping to ease into it and avoid the typical 3-4 days of real discomfort.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

I did W3C3D1 today but probably will repeat D1 on Thursday. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I am OUT of the challenge at least for this week. Dealing with tremors and muscle weakness, things that don't go well with trying to do push ups 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

A Saucy Wench

If you havent been doing them but are pretty sure you could do 25+, I would skip the initial test (unless that benchmark is really important to you) and just start with W1 column 3.  You get 2 weeks of easing in to it and then you do a max out text at the end of week 2. 

C-R

If you havent been doing them but are pretty sure you could do 25+, I would skip the initial test (unless that benchmark is really important to you) and just start with W1 column 3.  You get 2 weeks of easing in to it and then you do a max out text at the end of week 2. 

+1

Sorry to hear Pam but sounds like a sound choice. Get better.

Started W2C3. Hit 40 for my final set. Perhaps should have started in W3 but more push-ups aren't a bad thing. Oh and I added planks during the recovery period (60 sec).

Let's see how this thing goes.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

I am AWOL - Maybe tonight post leg weights.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !