3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

100 Push Up Challenge (Read 1574 times)

A Saucy Wench

Are you on my softball team?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

L Train

For an average American Chicagoan.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes, I know.

320 is pretty svelt. Good for you!!

Is that in inches or centimeters.

It's in stone. You have to go outside and find 320 stones, and pile them up, to find out how big she is.

But for God's sake be careful, and don't bury Ennay's daughter under the pile.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Svelt is a good word.  I'm going to try to work it into my vocabulary.

I was thinking about the pushups vs. bench press difference and started thinking about how to calculate the force you’re exerting when doing a pushup so you would know how much you would be bench pressing if you were bench pressing instead of doing pushups.

This is one of those practical applications to the engineering classes I took a long time ago when I was young and my brain

still worked well.

Anyway, I think I’ve come up with an answer, but some of you younger, smarter folks may correct me.

Imagine your body to be a beam fixed at one end (your feet), and assume your body weight is a fixed load at the center of gravity. 

To be in equilibrium, all forces equal zero, so if you sum the moments about your feet, you can calculate the force on your hands (F2) if
          you know your body weight (F1), the distance from your feet to your center of gravity(L1), and the distance from your feet to where your hands are placed (L2).

So this gives:

L1xbody weight – L2xF2= 0

L1xbody weight = L2xF2

F2=(L1xbodyweight)/L2

I found the way to calculate center of gravity on the internet, so... 

For males, L1 = 0.56xheight

For females, L1=0.543xheight

So…for a push up,

Male benchpress equivalent =( 0.56xheight (inches) x
          bodyweight)/distance from feet to hands in pushup position.

Female bench press equivalent = (0.543xheight(inches) x
          bodyweight)/ distance from feet to hands in pushup position.

I figured it for me and got 128 lbs...

then I put my hands on my scales in a pushup position and got 124 lbs.

The scale was easier.

I wonder how many times I can bench press 124 lbs?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

L1xbody weight – L2xF2= 0

Let me be the first to inquire, troy pounds, or avoirdupois?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Avoirdupois, of course.

Let me be the first to inquire, troy pounds, or avoirdupois?

A Saucy Wench

hmmm.  Well, the scale thingy also does show how form helps, there is a good 7-8 lb difference if  I flex my feet hard.  Which I usually do - part of a good yoga pushup - but I dont know if when I get tired I do. 

I'm going to say no freaking way in hell can I bench press that much 32 times.   But I dont know, I cant imagine ever trying.  Usually once I get to 12 reps I up the weight.  But it makes me think I should be able to do more than I do.  But also, more muscles come to play with a pushup.  I'm trying to remember what my working bench press weight is.  I've been doing dumbbell press which is always lower than chest press

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

W1D1C3 -- done.  Maxed on the number (9), as it said "as many consecutive push ups as you can comfortably manage."  Well, that and I didn't think I'd get a 10th.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

I like the math, Tony.  I think the reason we can pushup more than we can bench is that we get more muscles involved in doing a pushup, and a bench really isolates a few.  Also, we don't actually touch our chest to the ground on pushups.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I have a phobia of  the bar breaking my neck with the bench. Tried it once, over reached  with the weight and it was comical how I was trying to get the bar back on the rack, and no one around seemed to care. 

Feeling the growl again

I have a phobia of  the bar breaking my neck with the bench. Tried it once, over reached  with the weight and it was comical how I was trying to get the bar back on the rack, and no one around seemed to care. 

When I lifted a lot in grad school, I saw some retard do that.  For some reason he put on what was apparently a good 30lb over what he could lift.  Luckily I happened to be looking his way when he unracked it, he didn't even get the weight up before it dropped to his chest and I ran over and rescued him.

The last-ditch bailout maneuver with Olympic weights is to try to get the bar up on one side, dumping one side off.  Hope there isn't anything important on the side the bar will then fly to though, but it'll save you.  I do recall hearing a news story years back of a guy found dead in his basement with 300lbs on his neck.

In HS we used to lift in the attic over my buddy's milking parlor after chores.  One night one of the guys decided to try a near-max lift after the rest of us left for the night, and didn't make it (this was the cheap plastic-covered concrete weights).  The weights were held on by collars, so he ended up rolling the bar down over his stomach to get it off...he was sore for awhile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, I never ever use collars with bench.  Because even if you are lifting within your means, you never know when you'll have a "weak" day.   I got stuck once with collars but was able to get one end up to the lower hook and slide myself off the bench sideways. 

So apparently my pushup equivalent weight is somewhere around Candice's total body weight.  One of us should feel badly about something there. 

So apparently my pushup equivalent weight is somewhere around Candice's total body weight.  One of us should feel badly about something there. 

Probably me. Unless I did the math wrong, I came up with 54 lbs for my push-up equivalent weight.

A Saucy Wench

Probably me. Unless I did the math wrong, I came up with 54 lbs for my push-up equivalent weight.

That sounds low.  I just did plank on the scale. 

Okay so if I plank on the scale it says ~77lbs...I think I factored in the wrong distance from feet to hands in the equation.

Anyway, I completed W1-D2-C3 today. Seemed easier than day 1, probably because of the longer rests. My arm pits are a little sore from Monday.