3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Spring races (Read 340 times)

Feeling the growl again

Now is time to recover and start base-building prior to launching into dedicated training cycles for spring.  What is everyone thinking about for the first half of next year in terms of goal races?

Personally I am hoping I can commit to exceeding what I have done training-wise the past few years (no new babies, I'm hoping this helps!).  I really, REALLY want to check the box on finishing a 50-miler and I am targeting that distance at the Indiana 100 event on 4/21.

At the same time...if I really do have a good training cycle, I would really hate to waste the potential I would have on the marathon...I have not run a decent one since at least 2008.  So I was thinking a marathon in late March, properly tapered...recover, and run the 50, the 50 would not care if I lost a little edge on my speed.

This is the only local marathon....or anywhere remotely close...within that timeframe.  I probably still have an "in" at Shamrock VA Beach the week before due to some work with the RD years ago, but I kind of like the low investment and opportunity cost of a local race.  Strangely I am intrigued by the 1-mile loop format...perhaps I am being perverted into preparing for 24hr races???  It is not USATF certified but neither are most ultras so I kinda don't care at this point.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It's all a bit up in the air for me. I'm pulling myself in different directions and I'm not sure how it's going to shake out. I'm drawn to continuing to work on getting faster and chasing marathon PRs. I'm equally, if not more, drawn toward ultras. I really want to do my 1'st 100 miler in 2013. If that happens in the spring it'll likely be one of Hasher Rick's NJ races. Then again, I might wait until the fall for that, and run a spring marathon. I dunno.

Right now I'm just really enjoying the not knowing, no goal aspect of things for a little while. Today's run was great because it didn't have to be any particular thing. I just did exactly what I felt like doing. 

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

C-R

I'm running the Princess Half Marathon on my birthday at Disney (yeah and bugger off the lot of ya).

Other than that, I am hoping to get into a groove this winter/spring. I've sucked for 1.5 years now and this is getting kind of sad.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

I have no goal spring races.

My 2013 goal is a 3:15 Marathon at our local Quad City Marathon. This is a mid September race. I consider myself "In Training" for it right now.

I'd also like to break 20 mins in a 5k and 27 mins in a 4 mile.

I'm templating trying a marathon, you know one of them "full" ones, in the spring IF I can get myself down to a about 180ish. I'm not sure my body will take the pounding heavier then that. I'm thinking about doing the Lake Wobegone Trail marathon in May or possibly the Fargo marathon .  I'd like to get an open marathon under my belt before I try a full Ironman in the fall of 2014.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I have 3 goals for next year (not just spring) and I would be happy if I can hit 2 out of the 3 goals.  Hitting any of these goals will be contingent on keeping hip flexor/IT Band/hamstrings healthy so I can get some quality training in.  One of the main challenges with hitting all three goals and racing in the midwest is the limited racing season of spring/fall with summer really being too hot to run well in a goal race longer than a half.  Plus I box myself in more by wanting to do specific races, making plans around  pacing marathons, etc.  Oh well, it's really my own fault.  Anyway here are my goals:

Goal 1 - Sub 7 at Ice Age 50 mile (May)- this year I was close for a while, but went out fast the first 10 miles plus had fueling issues.  I think if I can get in slightly better shape, better pacing, and solve fueling issues I'll have a shot.

Goal 2 - Sub 2:50 marathon.  I will probably end up pushing this into the fall unless I find a new race in the midwest Jan-Feb.

Goal 3 - Finish a 100.  I am trying not to set a time goal, but I am also a stubborn bastard who never learns so I will most likely wind up setting one anyway and ending up in a world of hurt.

Feeling the growl again

Goal 2 - Sub 2:50 marathon.  I will probably end up pushing this into the fall unless I find a new race in the midwest Jan-Feb.

That's a rough patch to find one in the midwest.  The one in Indiana I linked from March would only be ~2 hours' drive for you, if that is far enough away from a May 50-miler for you.  It's not a certified marathon from appearances, however. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Here are my plans for 2013 so far.

Registered Races

4/20 - Carmel Half Marathon

5/18 - Geist Half Marathon

These are deferrals from 2012. Spaniel, the Indiana Trail 100 is 4/20, the same day as Carmel, so I wouldn't be able to crew for that one.

These are races that I'm considering for 2013.

1/26 - Planet Adventure Half or Quarter Trail Marathon at Eagle Creek

3/23 - Sam Costa Half or Quarter (I know we're supposed to boycott this one Joking)

5/4 - 500 Festival Mini Marathon or Anti-Mini (I'll decide on this by the end of Nov)

500 Festival Training Series 5K on 2/9, 10K on 3/9, 15K on 4/6

C-R, I'm sure you'll make all of the other Princesses jealous.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run.  MTA:  April 6.

Hmm.  What was I thinking?

Anyway, goal is to finish.  

Serious training to commence after Monkey.

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

steph  

After just getting through an awful year (running-wise anyways) I am on the mend, running well and just building back up. I won't be targeting any specific races but hitting a bunch in the 5k 10k range hoping to get as close as possible to those current PR's. Not sure how likely or unlikely that is but if I can get in a groove I know the fitness will come pretty quick.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Circular Logic on 3/23 could be a possibility, although I wouldn't run the full marathon distance. I could do the relay if anyone else didn't want to do the full distance.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Now is time to recover and start base-building prior to launching into dedicated training cycles for spring.  What is everyone thinking about for the first half of next year in terms of goal races?

Recover?  I've spent the last 7 months trying to do that.  I'm going to be making a big push for Boston.  I have not run marathons very well and learn something different each time.  I'd like to be <2:40.

Aside from that, I'm looking at the Icebreakers Indoor Half in Milwaukee (end of Jan) and of course this silly little 4 mile race in my hometown (Feb). 

Coincidentally, Feb 2012 is the last "race" I had.  I've participated in a few events this year but nothing that was close to race effort like in Feb.

Slo

Coincidentally, Feb 2012 is the last "race" I had.  I've participated in a few events this year but nothing that was close to race effort like in Feb.

What race would that be?

BTW...Last Sunday I did Stockwell Lane out and back X3 for my long run.

What race would that be?

BTW...Last Sunday I did Stockwell Lane out and back X3 for my long run.

The same one that you're going to break 27 at in a few months.

That's a heck of a long run if you got Stockwell in X3.  I may be out that way at the end of the month and hope that I can get it in at least once.