3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

obsessor

This here is the place for it.

First of all, anxious to hear from the Huff Runners next week, to hear how it goes, and what they think of it. Sure hope you don't end up running a Mud HUFF, which, I believe brought me into the 5 hour time range. If it has been cool and dry lately, the run should be good.

After that, what do we have planned? Is anyone still running Bandera? I don't think I am ready for 100k yet, and I think the course may be more rocky than I'd like. Has anyone here run that yet?

I am a probable for the Strolling Jim, and hope to run a real blow-out. Other than that, though, not so sure. Looking for a good 50 mile sometime between now and ~May. 

Kalsarikännit

I love Bandera. This will be my third time doing it. While it is rocky, it isn't as bad as most rocky trails, just because there is zero leaf cover. It is the hidden rocks that cause me problems.

The USATF just announced its 2011 championships. Bandera is going to be the 100k Trail National Championship. I don't think anyone gives too much of a damn about that, the bigger deal is that it is a Montrail Ultra Cup race. That pulls in some really good runners. Geoff Roes, Liza Howard and Meghan Arbogast are already registered. It's too bad that I'll have to tie some of them to a tree in order to finish in the top two for a Western States spot.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

obsessor

Is Bandera well marked? Could a person get lost? Maybe the 50k would be a good idea. (is there a 50k?)

obsessor

I love Bandera. This will be my third time doing it. While it is rocky, it isn't as bad as most rocky trails, just because there is zero leaf cover. It is the hidden rocks that cause me problems.

The USATF just announced its 2011 championships. Bandera is going to be the 100k Trail National Championship. I don't think anyone gives too much of a damn about that, the bigger deal is that it is a Montrail Ultra Cup race. That pulls in some really good runners. Geoff Roes, Liza Howard and Meghan Arbogast are already registered. It's too bad that I'll have to tie some of them to a tree in order to finish in the top two for a Western States spot.

Hmmmm, looks like there are at least two guys who would be able to beat me even if I were in top shape. Doesn't mean they would, just that they definitely have the credentials and/or have beat me head to head before. I know my pick.

Feeling the growl again

First of all, anxious to hear from the Huff Runners next week, to hear how it goes, and what they think of it. Sure hope you don't end up running a Mud HUFF, which, I believe brought me into the 5 hour time range. If it has been cool and dry lately, the run should be good.

The first rain bands of what is supposed to drop a significant amount of snow (5-8"?) is hitting now.  Snow thru Monday, more potential snow Thursday, and more snow next weekend.  No warmth in between to melt it.  My crystal ball says it will not be a Mud Huff but a Fluff Huff.

I have never done an ultra.  To tell you the truth, I never really had a desire to,  Just as Steve Scott said the marathon was so different from the mile as to be a completely different sport, ultras are completely different from half/full marathons that I enjoy.  OK, maybe a 50K is close.

After the spring I have no hard goals for the year.  I know I can't train hard through the heat of summer anymore, and am considering a bowhunt for elk in August that would break up any decent training, so maybe I should do something completely stupid.  I am curious how training like mine translates into an ultra.  Probably poorly, would be my guess.  So if I don't train for ultras and I don't like the thought of running ultras, perhaps my first one should be something completely stupid....like trying to qualify for the 24hr championships or something.  What is going on next fall?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obsessor

I am not sure if it is an ultra tradition, or what, but the information is all so sketchy that it is unbelievable. I hope we can share some information here.

I have to say, after doing the 6 hour race, I seriously doubt my ability to do well in a 24 hour race. My feet and quads were taking quite a beating. I was walk-running in the last hour.  I do, however, envision being able to run 12 hours. Maybe.

50k trail race is "no big deal." You could do it. It's just a matter of running hard when the trail is open and runnable, and taking it easy when it is not. When you talk about 100's and 24 hour runs, clearly the strategy devolves into a different sport. WG should chime in, as I have not done it, but I think three things are important in the 100 mile and 24 hour races. 1. Fueling and hydration. 2. Take care of your feet. 3. Positive attitude.

We know that, If you could jog / walk a 100 mile race on a 50-50 ratio, say, averaging a 12 minute per mile pace, with no significant stops for anything, you would be competitive. It sounds easy to say on one hand, and hard to think about on the other hand. But think about this: Could you even stand in one spot for 24 hours? I am not sure if I could.

Those are my thoughts, anyhow.

obsessor

So if I don't train for ultras and I don't like the thought of running ultras, perhaps my first one should be something completely stupid....like trying to qualify for the 24hr championships or something.  What is going on next fall?

Cap off an August elk hunt with Leadville? That would be stupid for a first ultra. Do they even let people do that?

obsessor

The Lean Horse 100, 50, and 50k  - any would be an "easy" first ultra. http://www.leanhorse.com/

obsessor

I think there is a Hallucination 100 in Michigan, in the fall. I even think it runs through Hell. Not sure on the details. "The Fall 50" is a good fall 50 miler in Door County. Mike has run it a couple of times.

Hawt and sexy

I keep dabbling in ultras and failing. I blame Carl. See, I keep trying to do a 100. I have no official ultra finishes. I'm an idiot.

I'm touching your pants.

C-R

Running my first next weekend at the HUFF so I have nothing to add yet. Likely it will be deep in snow so it should be fun.

I am a freakin moron.

Oh and Spaniel didn't kill me but my legs are sore from today's run in a good way.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The King of Beasts

but I think three things are important in the 100 mile and 24 hour races. 1. Fueling and hydration. 2. Take care of your feet. 3. Positive attitude.

from what little I know, you are right on.

the 3rd is Very important when it gets dark.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Me, too. Sheesh. I got rocked in a short trail race today after I turned my ankle. I was at the back of the lead back (or close to it).  Two bad turns of the ankle and I feel way back.

It's just a matter of running hard when the trail is open and runnable, and taking it easy when it is not. 

Yeah, this was something I noticed today.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

obsessor

I keep dabbling in ultras and failing. I blame Carl. See, I keep trying to do a 100. I have no official ultra finishes. I'm an idiot.

That's why I picked that 6 hour race. Or you could do a 12. No "finish." Just do what you can. If you want to run 3 hours, sleep for 2, walk for one, run for one. Go home, take a shower, run a little more - find your own limit.

The one thing about ultras is that you will hit an "apathy point." Happens in marathons, too, sometimes. You just don't care. Everything in your brain just turns off. You need to get through that, accept it, keep moving, and eat something.

Hawt and sexy

Oh wait, I did a 12 hour and quit after 20 miles. I wanted to do a marathon or 50k, but, well, I had problems that day. 20 miles is never going to be an ultra.

I'm touching your pants.