3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Training (Read 560 times)

For once since I started running I am actually going to make and FOLLOW a strict training plan. I'm going to SF in May which totally wipes out my marathon plans so between that and my accident I've decided that it's time to actually start training (not just running for fun) and look for a fall race for a goal. I started out the end of the year with the same plan however getting hit kind of changed things. The one thing different this time is I won't have a BUNCH of goals I'm looking to reach I'm actually going to do specific race training for once. Sure hope my ADD can handle this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Very cool, but may be nice to include some tune-up races leading up to the goal race.  You may want to have goals for them, as they'd be indicators of how your training for the goal race is going.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Very cool, but may be nice to include some tune-up races leading up to the goal race.  You may want to have goals for them, as they'd be indicators of how your training for the goal race is going.

Oh I plan on having plenty of tune up races along the way but didn't mention them. With how hot it gets here in the summer I never "race" short races, I'll run them as tempo's which is my plan this year. It's been ages since I did any short races during the summer. It's going to be weird not doing marathons,  50k's, 50 milers or trying to run a 100 this summer

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I think this will be good for you. I think you have a lot more in you than you've allowed yourself to show.

I think this will be good for you. I think you have a lot more in you than you've allowed yourself to show.

Thanks Candice! I've spent so many years cramming marathons and ultras it just kind of became "normal" for me.  I think I've learned enough and am now  ready to actually train right for a race. I'm really looking forward to  the journey I'm about to embark on. It will be weird doing actual speed work in the spring when it's not too hot or too cold and snowy lol. I think I'll look to volunteer at the ultra's that I had planned to run instead

ABSOLUTELY agree.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I've spent so many years cramming marathons and ultras

Good luck Pam! This is exciting! I've had the same tendency. Races are fun, even if I am not racing them. I have a hard time resisting the multitudes of races we have around here. I was intending to focus on an April marathon and I was doing pretty well with the training up until the 50k in February. I had a hard time recovering from it and it kinda derailed the marathon training. Then I ran another 50k and now the marathon is in a week and a half. Not sure I can expect much there, but now bigger goals are looming like 100 milers. Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too. Why is that so hard?

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Prince of Fatness

Go after it and get it.

Maybe mix in some 5 - 10K's over the summer.  Get yourself into the racing mindset.

Not at it at all. 

Good luck Pam! This is exciting! I've had the same tendency. Races are fun, even if I am not racing them. I have a hard time resisting the multitudes of races we have around here. I was intending to focus on an April marathon and I was doing pretty well with the training up until the 50k in February. I had a hard time recovering from it and it kinda derailed the marathon training. Then I ran another 50k and now the marathon is in a week and a half. Not sure I can expect much there, but now bigger goals are looming like 100 milers. Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too. Why is that so hard?

yep cake and eat it too has been my mindset. NO MORE lol 

Thanks!

Go after it and get it.

Maybe mix in some 5 - 10K's over the summer.  Get yourself into the racing mindset.

Will most definitely be doing some 5k's over the summer, not sure about 10k's since they are far and few between. I will be looking for some.

Prince of Fatness

Will most definitely be doing some 5k's over the summer, not sure about 10k's since they are far and few between. I will be looking for some.

Yeah I should have said 5 milers.  There seem to be more of those in these parts than 10Ks.

Not at it at all. 

Well I got my next 5 weeks planned out since I have a HM in a little over 5 weeks. I know I only have 3 weeks to do any type of speed work that will actually help for the HM but such is life. I figure I'll have 3 workouts each week , 60 minute tempo (not including warm up and cool down)  intervals not sure what distance but nothing shorter than 800's and mile repeats thrown into my long run and the rest will be nothing but easy running. Thoughts? 

Yeah I should have said 5 milers.  There seem to be more of those in these parts than 10Ks.

I have yet to do a 5 mile race lol

I have yet to do a 5 mile race lol

Why does it feel like there so  more 8K's than 5 milers, at least here in Charlotte.

8k is 4.97mis Smile