3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

The importance of food (Read 506 times)

It's important.  Vital even.

Last night I did a late swim, so I ate before I swam and didn't sleep much, got up early to run a long run (17 miles).  It was much cooler than normal, about 60 deg F, so I figured I would have a really good run.  At about 2 miles I started feeling dizzy, weak, and hungry.  I wasn't trying to run fast, but even my slow pace had slowed down.  So when I did the loop beside my house, I stopped and ate two oatmeal cream pies.  Amazingly I felt a lot better and ended up having a good run.  It was dramatic the change in how I felt.  I don't know that I would have made it if I hadn't stop and eaten.

I like food. 

It probably helped that they were oatmeal creme pies too. That would be sorta like rocket fuel. But yea, its definitely important to eat a good meal the night before the long run. Also, breakfast! Did you not eat breakfast?

Feeling the growl again

That would be sorta like rocket fuel.

In more ways than one.  Nevertheless, I love those things.

Now that I'm on thyroid medication, I'm supposed to take it first thing in the morning and not eat for half an hour after that.  I violate that on the days I need to run anything substantial in the morning.  I don't eat a big breakfast but if I don't have at least a couple pieces of toast or something, Tony's experience sounds familiar.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yea, I gotta go with a bagel before a long run or I will not survive.

How do you get by on a bagel or a few pieces of toast for breakfast, especially before running anything in the AM?  Almost no matter what I'm doing in the morning, I have my usual full size bowl of cereal, juice and vitamins.  If I don't, I get that tired, weakened feeling.  Oatmeal cream pies...I think you're on to something.  They sound better than pop-tarts.

Feeling the growl again

How do you get by on a bagel or a few pieces of toast for breakfast, especially before running anything in the AM?  Almost no matter what I'm doing in the morning, I have my usual full size bowl of cereal, juice and vitamins.  If I don't, I get that tired, weakened feeling.  Oatmeal cream pies...I think you're on to something.  They sound better than pop-tarts.

I typically don't do hard runs in the morning, that's part of it.  I just can't get moving well early.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Same for me as spaniel. I don't get moving well too early in the morning.

I did fail to mention that I am drinking juice with the bagel....and the bagel is slathered with a sugary jam of some sort. Sugar works well for me. One of my biggest racing traditions is to eat candy the night before. (sweet tarts)

Feeling the growl again

Same for me as spaniel. I don't get moving well too early in the morning.

I did fail to mention that I am drinking juice with the bagel....and the bagel is slathered with a sugary jam of some sort. Sugar works well for me. One of my biggest racing traditions is to eat candy the night before. (sweet tarts)

Screw juice.  I mainline a pot of coffee.

Oh yes, that too.

C-R

I like food. Currently based on my miles, times and profile, I might like it too much.

However, when I was running more, those carbs are very much needed prior to a run. And I learned from the esteemed DB that fueling during a run is as important. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

I typically don't do hard runs in the morning, that's part of it.  I just can't get moving well early.

I do my weekend long runs on just two cups of coffee and a bottle of Propel.  If I am going out for say 2 and a half hours I may have a breakfast bar.  That's just the way I've always done it and I really never had any issues.

Generally speaking though, like Norm said, my problem with food is that I eat too much of it.  Lack of appetite has never been a problem for me.  The main overtraining signal that I get is not being able to get a good night's sleep.   Restless legs, etc.

Not at it at all. 

Hard runs no but longer efforts yes.  I've done some harder efforts over the lunch hour and if I don't eat anything before I go,it usually doesn't turn out too well.

Coffee....just can't do it.  Too bad as I like the smell.

Feeling the growl again

Coffee....just can't do it.  Too bad as I like the smell.

Just like cigs, you are probably better off for it...

Have you ever tried GOOD coffee??  I grew up thinking Folger's was coffee...I didn't start drinking it until I was 27 when I realized the error.

I do my weekend long runs on just two cups of coffee and a bottle of Propel.  If I am going out for say 2 and a half hours I may have a breakfast bar.  That's just the way I've always done it and I really never had any issues.

Generally speaking though, like Norm said, my problem with food is that I eat too much of it.  Lack of appetite has never been a problem for me.  The main overtraining signal that I get is not being able to get a good night's sleep.   Restless legs, etc.

Some good stuff in this discussion. Yeah, I'm a bit restless, too, but that's usually if it's overtraining in combo with not eating enough. The best thing for me is eating a good dinner (good sleep and energy for the next day) and a good breafast so that I'm ready to roll at work.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Have you ever tried GOOD coffee??  I grew up thinking Folger's was coffee...I didn't start drinking it until I was 27 when I realized the error.

The in-laws are the big coffee drinkers. Fortunately, the FIL enjoys the different beer varieties when we get together. The SIL loves Alterra. They have some good coffee choices.