3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

July 2015 Race Thread (Read 24 times)

kcam

Only four contestants for the beer of the month.  I think we can safely discount the maintainer of the July race thread with two Fails.  A case can be made for everyone else .... Greg got out there on a hot & humid Tuesday evening (F That!) and gutted out a nice 10miler, Kevin ran twice and pulled in a 1OA and a little cash (though he dropped down from the big boys race to do it ) and Robin succumbed to peer pressure (usually NOT a wise move) to up his goal a few seconds and then beat it.  Hmmm .... after much debate .... the beer goes to .... Kevin.  Hard to argue with two races and a 1st Overall.  Enjoy your beer Kevin!  If we ever meet IRL I'll buy.  Keep track of that for me!

Name Date Distance Race Location Goal Result Comment
    kencamet 7/4  5K Freedom Fest Morgan Hill, CA 19:22  19:25 Not too bad
    Ntown Kevin 7/16  5K White Woods XC Litchfield, CT 16:58  16:54 Had the kid hearing footsteps
    Ntown Kevin 7/25  3.25M New Milford Road Race New Milford, CT 17:55  18:09 1OA ... EZ Money
    Roth Runner 7/25  5K Brockwell Parkrun London, UK 16:54  16:51 Onwards (way to step up!)
    kencamet 7/25 5000m WVJS 5K on the Track Saratoga, CA 19:20  19:24 Fastest 5K of the year (1 sec)
    Greg C 7/28 10M Yankee Homecoming 10Miler Newburyport,MA 1:09:17  1:11:44 Dug deep and did not wuss out.
    kcam

Totally forgot about this thread!

I ran 19:25.  Good course, competition and weather.

Nice race, Ken. The trifecta of good course, competition and weather so rarely comes around.

My July plans:

7/16, 5K, White Woods XC Series, Litchfield CT

Goal: beat last year's 16:58

7/25, 8M, New Milford Road Race, New Milford CT

Goal: 46:30

New course this year (construction), backloading all the hills into the last 2 miles. Will be different and hard to pace. Mega flat for 6 miles, then a 300 - 350 hundred feet up a mile and a half, downhill last half (more or less).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Did indeed beat last years time, by a whole 4 seconds. Really fun race. XC goes by in a blur. Lost by 10 seconds to an 18 year old, but at least he told me after the race "you had me worried", so that's something.

kcam

16:54, on XC, is great.  Way to gol

wow.. nice work Kevin. Looks like a great result. Especially with all your easy running of late.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

16:54, on XC, is great.  Way to gol

Great result indeed.  Nice run!

Thanks. Yeah, on the easy running...I think I kind of burned myself out a little last summer with a lot of racing AND workouts and really just ended up flat at the end of the summer and a little hurt (my foot is still a bit screwed up). So definitely erring these days on the side of easy, with a few workouts sprinkled in.

Yup nice run Kevin!

I've done a few races recently but nothing what I would call full out racing - so I guess I should put one on the board to try and get myself going again for the rest of the summer.  My training has picked up a bit recently so lets give a hilly 5k a go:

Roth Runner

7/25

Brockwell Parkrun

London, UK

Goal: Course PR, sub 16:56

Come on now.. .you have got to beat Kevin!

Goal: Course PR, sub 16:56 16:54

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

Come on now.. .you have got to beat Kevin!

Agreed - and it shouldn't be too hard.

Alright I succumb to the peer pressure! – and a local rival of mine also ran 16:54 (on this course a month ago) – so sub 16:54 it is!

7/25, 8M, New Milford Road Race, New Milford CT

Goal: 46:30

New course this year (construction), backloading all the hills into the last 2 miles. Will be different and hard to pace. Mega flat for 6 miles, then a 300 - 350 hundred feet up a mile and a half, downhill last half (more or less).

Decided to step down to the "5K+" sister race (about 3.25 miles). Ran 17:55 last year for 3rd. Hope to beat that this year.

kcam

Ken - mark me down for another 5K this coming Saturday ...

7/25  5000m   club 5K on the track   Saratoga, CA   19:20

OK.  You got it (don't fall for that peer pressure thing and go for 16:54).

kcam

C'mon now, Hurtlocker racers.  July is shaping up to be 5K race month.  Get in on the fun!