3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December 2013 Racing Thread (Read 36 times)

I've already got a couple of races organised for December so I'll take up the reins for this one:

Who

Date Event Distance Where Goal Result Comments

Roth Runner

12/1/13  Pirie 10 XC  10 miles  South London, UK  1st for team DNS   

Roth Runner

12/7/13  Burgess Parkrun 5k  5k   London, UK  May race may pace someone else 16:34  Win and paced friend to sub 17 
    TeaOlive 12/7/13  Savannah River Bridge Run 10k Savannah, GA A Goal: 54:00, B Goal: Survive Bridges! 57:09 

3rd in AG, Survived Bridges!

kencamet 12/8/13 Cal Int Marathon 26.2 Sacramento, Ca 2:53 2:59:31 

Missed goal but kept sub 3 streak going 

rockenmamaof5 12/8/13 1st of the Shiver by the River 5k 5k Reading, PA 22:30 with son for a cat!    
    Roth Runner 12/22/13 Portsmouth Coastal Marathon  26.2 Portsmouth, UK Sub 2:50 and possible win  

kcam

Thanks for picking up the Dec racing thread.  Add me in for CIM, I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with 2:53.  My original goal was a 2:50 from the beginning of the year but I've not made enough progress for that to be even remotely possible.  As it is 2:53 will be far from odds-on.

Who

kencamet 

12/8/13  Cal Int Marathon  26.2 Sacramento, Ca 2:53    
      kcam

Parklife .... you steppin' up here?!  C'mon man I know you got something for December up your sleeve!

Who

Roth Runner

12/1/13  Pirie 10 XC  10 miles  South London, UK  1st for team    

Scratch for me - did the 10k yesterday instead.

Who

Roth Runner

12/7/13  Burgess Parkrun 5k  5k  London, UK May race may pace someone else    
          TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive     12/7      Savannah River Bridge Run  10K     Savannah, GA     54:00

Or just survive twice over that darned bridge.

steph  

Roth Runner 12/22/13 Portsmouth Coastal Marathon 26.2 Portsmouth, UK Sub 2:50 and possible win

What are we missing here?  You're in much better shape than a sub-2:50.  What's the UK term for sandbagger? Big grin

Roth Runner 12/22/13 Portsmouth Coastal Marathon 26.2 Portsmouth, UK Sub 2:50 and possible win

What are we missing here?  You're in much better shape than a sub-2:50.  What's the UK term for sandbagger? Big grin

Sandbagger?  I can imagine what you mean?! Smile  Well the course is part off-road but I guess the goal is a little soft - we'll see, it may be a tactical race for the win, unless someone really good turns up - then I'm stuffed!

Who

Roth Runner

12/7/13  Burgess Parkrun 5k  5k  London, UK May race may pace someone else  16:34  Win and paced friend to sub 17

Decent run this morning, ran a nice even first two miles with a quicker last mile to overhaul the early leader with about a km to go and to pull away.  I'm ready to rumble in my marathon in two weeks.  & I managed to pull my clubmate to a first sub 17 which was great!

kcam

'Decent' run?  Right off your PR - you are definitely ready to rumble!

12/8  1st of the Shiver by the River 5k/10k  in Reading, PA

I'm running it with my 12 year old son who really really wants another cat.  We had made a deal that if he reached his goal during cross country season that we would get one as soon as he was able to prove he's responsible to take care of 2 cats (feed and deal with litter) .We he didn't quite get his goal during the season. He asked earlier in the week what his time had to be for the 5k in order to earn a cat. We came up with 22:30 or under. I highly doubt he'll get that tomorrow especially on the course we'll be on but I'm going to put 22:30 as my goal to show him that I support him. Who knows maybe he can pull a 22:30 out of nowhere. If he does I sure hope I don't die trying to keep up with him

Oh and I believe we are doing the 5k

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

Good luck rockeen. I just offer my yo $20 for a new pr. Seems easier but he's bankrupting me this year.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive     12/7      Savannah River Bridge Run  10K     Savannah, GA     54:00

Or just survive twice over that darned bridge.

Fail - 57:09.  mta:  3d AG.

steph  

kcam

Who

kencamet 

12/8/13  Cal Int Marathon  26.2 Sacramento, Ca 2:53    

Fail - Ran 2:59:31.  I knew a 2:53 was not in the cards after my last few race.  I think I peaked too early for the marathon but I can't complain as I had a great year running.   So I ran the first 5 miles at 6:45 pace and then decided that if I kept running 6:45 I was going to have a deathmarch for the last 10K.  I slowed the pace down to 6:50 - 6:55 and was able maintain that - barely.  It was hard.

Very cold day for running (25 at the start 31 at the finish), PR day if you were ready for it but I wasn't.  At mile 14 I took off one of my gloves to help me tear open a gu pack and decided "hey that airflow on my hands feels good" so I tossed my gloves.  Huge mistake as by the time I finished my hands were red, swollen claws that couldn't even hold the water bottle they gave me at the finish.  My fingertips were turning purple ferchrisakes.  I got em warmed up pretty quickly after the finish and all's well that end's well.  Satisfied as I beat most of the guys I run against in my USATF division, including one who I raced to the finish and outleaned for the 'win'.  Pathetic, I know but we both enjoyed the competition.

kcam

Fail - 57:09.  mta:  3d AG.

Nice run - Congrats are in order for a 3rd in AG!

Had a mad race today in the rain and wind on the UK coast.  The Portsmouth marathon course which turned out to be half off road and half road was a mess due to heavy storms in the preceding days.  Very quickly you had to adopt a run straight through mentality with all the standing water which sometimes was half way up the calf.  I had been ill for the days leading up to the race but luckily recovered really well in the last 24hrs.  In the end I came up short in my goals with a 2:50:02 and 2nd place overall (1st vet).  I nearly caught the leader but he held me off for the last few miles to win by 25 seconds.  I can't complain, he showed good strength to respond to my pressure.  We ran a slow motion duel 15-25 seconds apart into a 20-25mph headwind to the finish, a weird experience. 3rd place was 6 minutes further back.  I've also never seen so many bashed up runners after a race.  I must have seen 15-20 runners with bloodied knees, shoulders, forearms and a couple with head wounds as well.  I had to chuckle when one lady finished as she had obviously faceplanted in the mud (she was not injured I hasten to add).  A crazy end to a good year!