3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April 2013 Racing Thread (Read 72 times)

Ken, Great effort! I wish I had an much zen-pacing as you do.

Kevin, Sorry to hear about your Mom. But, congratulations on a solid run out there.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Kevin, Sorry to hear about your Mom. But, congratulations on a solid run out there.

+1 to both.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

1:16:10

Guess I have to stop bitching and moaning about my bronchitis now. A little less wind and a little less snot and I'd have really kicked ass. Big grin

Congrats WhoDat!

Clive, Kevin and rg too.

Prayers for your mom, Kevin.

steph  

kcam

Training-schmaining, you shoulda come out and run!  Saw a few of your Buffalo Chips teammates there but it seems that River City dominates that race.  They beat our club's 50+ team across the board -

River City - 58:38, 61:09, 62:10, 66:32

WVJS -     59:37, 61:25, 62:17, 68:29

flarunner

Good racing to all of you, especially Tea Olive. 75 miles is just nuts! Big grin

Gville Kevin, prayers for your Mom and a speedy recovery.

Great racing by Clive, Kevin, Ken, WD, and RG!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Training-schmaining, you shoulda come out and run!  Saw a few of your Buffalo Chips teammates there but it seems that River City dominates that race.  They beat our club's 50+ team across the board -

River City - 58:38, 61:09, 62:10, 66:32

WVJS -     59:37, 61:25, 62:17, 68:29

Wow.. nice work Ken. Your team is very good.

RC is pretty amazing. We all hope and dream of being on their 40+ and 50+ teams. Mickle is crazy. Guy is even running Boston, so I guess this race was his final tune-up.

I paced a friend the last 10 at AR50. Made a 4 hour time bank withdrawal from the "Its your turn to watch the baby" account, there was no way I could do both.

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

kcam

Wow.. nice work Ken. Your team is very good.

RC is pretty amazing. We all hope and dream of being on their 40+ and 50+ teams. Mickle is crazy. Guy is even running Boston, so I guess this race was his final tune-up.

I paced a friend the last 10 at AR50. Made a 4 hour time bank withdrawal from the "Its your turn to watch the baby" account, there was no way I could do both.

Dam.  I was wondering why he ran so slowly .... 58:38 ain't exactly slow but he ran 55:02 at Norcal 10 just a month ago and that course is about a minute slower than Sactown.  Musta just been a tempo run for him.  Crazy.

Missed it by one. I was seventh and beat two people I didn't think I had a chance against, and two more that I thought it would take a really good day to beat, so I should be happy.  My bike split was 6 seconds slower than the 2nd Overall Male, so I'm pretty happy with the bike on a fairly hilly, technical course... but the other part is the run.  I did ok on the run, but the ones at the top are faster.  Part of the run is on a trail and I'm definitely no trail runner.  I got stuck behind a line of 9 people in the 3rd mile of the first 5k, so my splits for the 5k were, 7:20 (the race started uphill); 7:06; 8:49!!!  Coming back we ran it reverse, so off the bike after a really hard ride, my legs were cooked and the combination of tired legs and trail made my first mile 8:32, then the final .67 of what was supposed to be a 2.5k was a 6:47 pace, which is faster than my 5k PR.  A guy in my age group passed me on the run just as we exited the trail and I didn't have anything to fight him off, but planned on trying to take him as we got close to the finish... but as we went up a slight hill he started walking... WALKING! I ran past him trying to look fast and strong.  I stayed ahead of him and ended up 7th, he was 8th.

There is still a chance I can make the team.  If one of the top 6 can't go or decides not to, I'll be the first on the roll down list.

Another option is traveling to Minnesota in June for the regional championships there. If I don't get a rolldown, I think I'm going to have to try since I'm so close to making it.

4/6 - Double Oak Duathlon (Qualifier for Age Group World Championships in Ottawa, Canada in August) - 5k run/12.5mile bike/2.5k run - There are 17 in my AG and 5 are out of my reach. Last slot to make Team USA is 6th place and that's my goal.  It's a long shot and it'll take my best, but I have a chance.

an amazing likeness

Let's give this a shot....

4/14 MilkTruck  5 miles    84th Boys Club Patriots Day 5-miler      38:30

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

flarunner

Good job Tony. Especially that bike split!

Missed it by one. I was seventh and beat two people I didn't think I had a chance against, and two more that I thought it would take a really good day to beat, so I should be happy.  My bike split was 6 seconds slower than the 2nd Overall Male, so I'm pretty happy with the bike on a fairly hilly, technical course... 

I stayed ahead of him and ended up 7th, he was 8th.

Another option is traveling to Minnesota in June for the regional championships there. If I don't get a rolldown, I think I'm going to have to try since I'm so close to making it.

Nice racing Tony!  A lot of good stuff to pull out of your recap.

Very impressive what you were able to accomplish and that you are that close to making the team.

Nice racing Tony!  A lot of good stuff to pull out of your recap.

Very impressive what you were able to accomplish and that you are that close to making the team.

I was thinking the same thing.  (Tired of saying +1.)

An especially strong run off the bike, too!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

#artbydmcbride

Let's give this a shot....

4/14 MilkTruck  5 miles    84th Boys Club Patriots Day 5-miler      38:30

fingers (and toes) crossed!  Smile

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

4/15 Ileneforward  26.2 miles    Boston Marathon      4:20:01

Yeah, I will go on record and say this may be way ambitious for how terrible I am running.   I plan to just have fun and finish smiling!

Runners run