3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April 2013 Racing Thread (Read 72 times)

an amazing likeness

Yes, yes...fingers & toes, because I am now officially a 3-toed sloth.

fingers (and toes) crossed!  Smile

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Sorry to hear about your Mom's health problems Gville Kevin, I hope she is recovering well.

Well done on the sub 17.

+1.

And solid effort, Tea.  I still can't imagine being out on a course that long.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Let's give this a shot....

4/14 MilkTruck  5 miles    84th Boys Club Patriots Day 5-miler      38:30

Nice. I'm pondering that one myself...

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

kcam

4/7 - Sactown 10 - Sacramento, Ca - <1:02:00

4/21 - Zippy 5K - Brisbane, CA - TBD

Put me down for a <18:30 at Zippy.  It's a tough course and I was only able to run 18:23 a couple weeks ago on a flat course.

bhearn

4/15 bhearn     Boston Marathon      2:55

Well, this is not gonna happen. Not sure yet what I will be pacing for, but it won't be that. The hamstring/adductor has totally shut down my speedwork this training cycle.

In a very non-Hurtlocker-ish thing to say:

These threads inspire the hell out of me.  Way too many awesome performances to list.

On a more Hurtlocker-ish thing, I've decided the only thing to try for for the 50K is to try to race the other guys from my running club.

New goal for Forget the PR 50K: beat the other guys from my group.  If Peter has a good day...there's probably no way, but I plan to try to hold on as long as I can.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

an amazing likeness

4/14 MilkTruck  5 miles    84th Boys Club Patriots Day 5-miler      38:30

Posted a 37:28.  I'll take that and be ok with it. Bad leg held up well.

A couple folks asked for advice on running the course, and I did exactly what I advised them not to do...start fast on the downhill and fade to the finish.  Met a guy today who has run this 5-miler 44 years in a row, and 47 times overall. Wow.

Good luck to all the folks running Boston, run strong and enjoy the day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks flarunner!

Good job Tony. Especially that bike split!

Thanks mbehr! I'm giving serious thought to booking a flight to the regional in Minnesota for May 25.

Nice racing Tony!  A lot of good stuff to pull out of your recap.

Very impressive what you were able to accomplish and that you are that close to making the team.

Thanks CliveF!

I was thinking the same thing.  (Tired of saying +1.)

An especially strong run off the bike, too!

DADGUM Tea!! "DNF" and 75 miles do not belong together. I feel pretty good about a 75 mile BIKE ride. Great job even though you didn't meet your goal!

DNF.   6 laps.    75 miles.  20h:53m I think.    Live results are not accurate for some people.

My lap #1 is missing.

I felt good through lap 5.  By the end of lap 6 not so much.  Started too fast as usual I suppose.

Tried to talk my self into going back out after lap 6 but I knew that it would be two laps of 90%

walking vs 10 running.  Couldn't see the point in mostly walking 25 miles.

On the other hand my 50 mile time is a 37 min PR and I finished the 75 miles  4  3+ hours faster than the 73.6 miles

I ran in February.   So, over all I will count it as a positive.

mta:  I also took a little detour on my way out for lap 6.  IMO the drive ways vs race route wasn't marked that well in the dark.

I didn't put it on the race schedule, so I guess it isn't a candidate for a free beer, but I did the Purity Moosic City Dairy Dash 5k... and for the first time in almost 4 years, I PR'd the 5k with a 21:36!!  Only by 9 seconds, but this race was 42 seconds faster than my last stand alone 5k.  I'm sure hoping this one doesn't stand for 4 years.

W00t!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

4/13 -- CliveF -- Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k (Richmond VA) -- sub-40

42:01.  I don't wanna talk about it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations on your goal but  especially on the leg!

steph