3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April 2013 Racing Thread (Read 72 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Time to regroup, rally and hammer the mini. Should we bring a few brews for that?

I say we either bring a few brews to have in the park or hit a local bar after. I'll try not to make you and Spaniel wait too long for me.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

bhearn

Last minute decision, ran 31:46 at Earth Day 5M in Tigard OR. Forgot Garmin, so guessing. Missed PR of 31:24, but won the race. I'll take it.

Feeling the growl again

Last minute decision, ran 31:46 at Earth Day 5M in Tigard OR. Forgot Garmin, so guessing. Missed PR of 31:24, but won the race. I'll take it.

Didn't follow training plan, skipping speedwork with a nagging hammy, and running a PR then flirting with a 5M PR days later?

Dude.  What would happen if you DID do speedwork?

Nice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

He'd be wicked fast and winning more. DAMN!

Dude.  What would happen if you DID do speedwork?

Nice.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A big fat fail from me at London - 2:49:03

Still I had a great day and the support was incredible.  1:18:49 with a 1:30:14 back doesn't really tell the story.

A 5:37 mile in mile 3 probably gives a hint at where it went wrong!  Still sometimes you have to have a crash and burn effort to work out a few things that do and don't work for you.  I don't think my target was there yesterday even with perfect pacing.

There was a lot of emotion out there for Boston and the 30 seconds silence was impeccably respected at the start.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Sub 3 at Boston and a 5M win on a bad hamstring. Damn.

I feel like such a wuss. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Still I had a great day and the support was incredible.  1:18:49 with a 1:30:14 back doesn't really tell the story.

A 5:37 mile in mile 3 probably gives a hint at where it went wrong!  Still sometimes you have to have a crash and burn effort to work out a few things that do and don't work for you.  I don't think my target was there yesterday even with perfect pacing.

There was a lot of emotion out there for Boston and the 30 seconds silence was impeccably respected at the start.

Nice run RR! I missed the start of the marathon, but got to watch the finish. It was exciting to watch Kebede pass Mutai and take the win. He looks like a pretty solid little guy for a runner.

C-R

I forget what your goal was RR but 2:49 when pushing the envelope early ain't bad. I expect you'll nail it in the fall.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Big congrats to bhearn.  That's especially impressive given the proximity to Boston.  You're not human, right?

Spaniel, I really hope you get the hip sorted out soon.  You don't need a relatively inexperienced newbie like me to tell you you made the right call.

Roth Runner, I sincerely hope to someday have the guts and talent to do a crash-and-burn-learn like that.  Awesome race, regardless, and points to a huge PR come fall season.

C-R, hope the Immodium treats you right in the future.  I took it once...found out I'm allergic to it.  Hives, rash, the whole deal.  Ugh.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

#artbydmcbride

4/15 Ileneforward  26.2 miles    Boston Marathon      4:20:01

DNF due to terrorism

Runners run

kcam

OUCH!  That probably left a mark.  But you'll be tougher for it next time.  Congrats on a nice cycle.

DNF due to terrorism

We're all glad that you are fine though!

Same event for me.

Goal is to average less than 6 min/mile, so that would put me around <2:37.

Not quite the 2:37 but at least managed a 2:42:56.  Half splits were 1:18:04 / 1:24:52.  Last three miles were pretty much identical to the effort in Milwaukee in 2011.  I'm still happy with the effort.  Just need to figure out how to not trash the quads in anything over 20 miles.

Feeling the growl again

Not quite the 2:37 but at least managed a 2:42:56.  Half splits were 1:18:04 / 1:24:52.  Last three miles were pretty much identical to the effort in Milwaukee in 2011.  I'm still happy with the effort.  Just need to figure out how to not trash the quads in anything over 20 miles.

What you experienced is pretty typical for Boston for someone who trains on the flatlands.  To do better you will need to find a way to beat your quads up more in training.

MTA:  In "Duel in the Sun", it relates how Beardsley used to pound his fist into each quad X number of times per night.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

18:44 at Zippy 5K on Sunday.  Can I buy a vowel or something here?!  I just can't seem to hit my goal times.  Next time.