3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

You ever reach a point in your life... (Read 580 times)

where you say to yourself: This is best I'm ever gonna look, the best I'm ever gonna feel, the best I'm ever gonna do...and it ain't that great?

That's from the movie City Slickers, and I think that's the key to why these old folks I'm racing against are so dang fast.  Just a bunch of old guys running for our lives, trying to hang on to something we can still get better at.

....or maybe it's just that I should run more.

Hey TonyP, no I haven't but I was thinking about this last night.

Who cares? Were we ever so super fast? Will we ever be? Does it matter so much. 

What's important is the fire in your belly and you can have that at any age.  Runner's run.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

where you say to yourself: This is best I'm ever gonna look, the best I'm ever gonna feel, the best I'm ever gonna do...and it ain't that great?

That's from the movie City Slickers, and I think that's the key to why these old folks I'm racing against are so dang fast.  Just a bunch of old guys running for our lives, trying to hang on to something we can still get better at.

....or maybe it's just that I should run more.

Just run more P

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Seanv2

Maybe this is one of the good things about getting into running later in life (meaning in my mid thirties). I KNOW my best years at running are still ahead of me.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Prince of Fatness

later in life (meaning in my mid thirties)

Dude, you're killing me.  You do know that there are old guys in here, right?

Seriously, I'm two years away from my 50th birthday, and I'm just not going to worry about it.  I am going to keep running as long as my body lets me.  The good thing for me is that I never took racing that seriously in my early years so lifetime PR's are still out there for the taking.

Just keep plugging away at it Tony, and see what happens.  You never know.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

Dude, you're killing me.  You do know that there are old guys in here, right?

I wrote that just for you tater.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

You're not done until your dead. I don't think there's age in running. (says the 26 year old)

This guy is my hero, and friend: "I outran five state records in one race. And those five records were mine to begin with." http://dallasfallsforward.blogspot.com/

You guys sound older than him. Except, well, he's 70.

You should read his latest entry.

That's Dallas!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I am going to keep running as long as my body lets me.  The good thing for me is that I never took racing that seriously in my early years so lifetime PR's are still out there for the taking.

Just keep plugging away at it Tony, and see what happens.  You never know.

+1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ostrich runner

My training partner isn't nearly as good looking as me, but he's faster and 22 years older.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

That's Dallas!

No. It's not. Not the one you know.

Different Dallas Smith. Older. Faster.

You're not done until your dead.

Cheery, but true.

My  PRs are about 20 years behind me. That rarely bothers me, though, since they're there and I'm here and I'm still running. Sometimes I'm bummed that I can't run that fast anymore...not because of the time on the clock, but because I like to run fast.

Cheery, but true.

My  PRs are about 20 years behind me. That rarely bothers me, though, since they're there and I'm here and I'm still running. Sometimes I'm bummed that I can't run that fast anymore...not because of the time on the clock, but because I like to run fast.

See and someone like me who didn't start running until mid 30's will never miss being fast lol , though  the little bit of tiny speed I've felt is AWESOME and leaves me wanting more, so I'll be working on getting as "fast" as I can before I did (which for all I know may be tomorrow)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ha! I came across sounding a little defeated, but that wasn't how I intended it. After a race I have always felt like I can get better. I was just thinking about what drives the Masters age runners and triathletes to work so hard because it is not uncommon for someone in my AG to win overall. Nader, I agree... Fire in the belly is a good thing! I'm (slowly) closing the gap on the fast guys. Fortunately, I don't think I'm the best I'll ever be... that would be depressing.
                                I'm still pretty new to the sport, so I don't know how I would feel if I had fast PRs that I couldn't expect to beat. My sport was powerlifting and I still miss it...especially when I see these young kids lifting heavy.

Cheery, but true.