3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August 2012 Racing Thread (Read 641 times)

Nice work C-R and DB!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Graniteman Big Lake Sprint triathlon

S=0.33 mi, B=15 mi, R=3.1 mi

Finsihed 8th of 33 in 40-44 age group

1:18:28

Swim was long at about 0.4 miles, time was 11:35

Bike time 39:12 @ 23.0 mph

Run time 25:06, 8:06 mpm pace

After my triathlon a couple weeks ago, I'm pretty happy with my finish time and especially the run. I managed to run the entire route and that was a win in itself.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Nice job Cr , Mike and Robert!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dead Harriers was 23:35 I think 

First leg of R2S was 8.5 miles and I did it in 1:05:56

Second leg of R2S was 5.5 and I did it in 48:36 but that includes a mandatory 2 minute stop (right before the handoff ) Weather sucked but I had a lot of fun.  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

Dead Harriers was 23:35 I think 

First leg of R2S was 8.5 miles and I did it in 1:05:56

Second leg of R2S was 5.5 and I did it in 48:36 but that includes a mandatory 2 minute stop (right before the handoff ) Weather sucked but I had a lot of fun.  

Good racing Rocken considering the other distractions. 

Chin up!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good racing Rocken considering the other distractions. 

Chin up!

Yes, this.  

And you got to have some fun!

steph  

Paavo Nurmi Marathon August 11th.

Goal: Win it. Again.

I'm a little bit undertrained...then again, last year I only had a 16 mile run leading up to it. At least this year I have an 18 miler.

Slo

Goal: Win it. Again.

Good Luck Candice.

My job interfers with this marathon every year. Maybe a good thing because this year I would be woefully unprepared.

an amazing likeness

08/04 MilkTruck - Beach to Beacon 10K, Cape Elizabeth, ME, g=46:30

08/05 MilkTruck - Cape Ann Yukanrun Half, g=1:41:00

Both an emphatically "HAH....you sucked!"

Beach to Beacon 10K = nope = 48:13.  (Ran it at 80 - 90% effort to save something for the next day...which as you'll see was stoopid)

Cape Ann Half = 2:00.13.  Yes sirree couldn't even hit sub-2.  Here's my log notes:

After today's trip to running hell...I now have a better appreciation of what the Boston Marathon runners faced this past spring. I have never been so hot while running in my life. Even thinking back to ancient days of late summer football practices where it seemed the intent was to, literally, make you collapse...I can't recall anything that felt like today.

Course was a 6.5mi out-and-back running North-South. Temp at start was over 80F and made it 87F in the next hour. Wind was a nice, soft breeze from from the south, so on the way 'out' there was some breeze. But after the turnaround and heading back north, the soft breeze made sure you were running in no moving air at all -- it completely offset any air moving from your running pace.

The road (Atlantic Ave in Gloucester) used by the course leads to public beaches north of Boston, and it was packed bumper-to-bumper with cars in sections....so from mile 2.5 to 9, you ran single file next to idling cars. On baking black asphalt. Let me tell you there's nothing quite like a bunch of people sitting in air conditioned cars giving you shit about your slow pace and bloody shirt. Also, if I ever meet the engineer who designed the Ford PowerStroke diesel engine used in their pickup trucks...I'm going to either punch him/her in the throat, or kick them in the groin -- those things spew.

Oh...another thing -- when you get soaked from sweat and dumping water over yourself, it makes your technical shirt cling to your chest and in the absence of bra for us guys, shreds the nipples. I had anticipated this and stuck on bandaids before the race...which promptly came off about mile 2.

By mile 9 any sort of actual running was done. It was walk/slog from there. If there had been any sign of a sag wagon, I would have DNF'd in a second. This was not a race, It was a death slog. I'm not logging it as a race.

OK...so you can laugh at me...from my Cape Ann Half a few weeks ago...

Two thumbs up at mile 5.5!

87F wins at mile 11!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

C-R

Both an emphatically "HAH....you sucked!"

Beach to Beacon 10K = nope = 48:13.  (Ran it at 80 - 90% effort to save something for the next day...which as you'll see was stoopid)

Cape Ann Half = 2:00.13.  Yes sirree couldn't even hit sub-2.  Here's my log notes:

After today's trip to running hell...I now have a better appreciation of what the Boston Marathon runners faced this past spring. I have never been so hot while running in my life. Even thinking back to ancient days of late summer football practices where it seemed the intent was to, literally, make you collapse...I can't recall anything that felt like today.

Course was a 6.5mi out-and-back running North-South. Temp at start was over 80F and made it 87F in the next hour. Wind was a nice, soft breeze from from the south, so on the way 'out' there was some breeze. But after the turnaround and heading back north, the soft breeze made sure you were running in no moving air at all -- it completely offset any air moving from your running pace.

The road (Atlantic Ave in Gloucester) used by the course leads to public beaches north of Boston, and it was packed bumper-to-bumper with cars in sections....so from mile 2.5 to 9, you ran single file next to idling cars. On baking black asphalt. Let me tell you there's nothing quite like a bunch of people sitting in air conditioned cars giving you shit about your slow pace and bloody shirt. Also, if I ever meet the engineer who designed the Ford PowerStroke diesel engine used in their pickup trucks...I'm going to either punch him/her in the throat, or kick them in the groin -- those things spew.

Oh...another thing -- when you get soaked from sweat and dumping water over yourself, it makes your technical shirt cling to your chest and in the absence of bra for us guys, shreds the nipples. I had anticipated this and stuck on bandaids before the race...which promptly came off about mile 2.

By mile 9 any sort of actual running was done. It was walk/slog from there. If there had been any sign of a sag wagon, I would have DNF'd in a second. This was not a race, It was a death slog. I'm not logging it as a race.

and this is why I ran a 5k on Sat instead of the trail marathon/half marathon also offered in town.

Way to gut it out, but summer sucks for decent times on longer races.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

When you're naturally well insulated, evn short 5k's can suck when its hot and humid.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

C-R

When you're naturally well insulated, evn short 5k's can suck when its hot and humid.

That's why the list of participants in this thread keeps growing. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000somethings/forum/7663e29d58994dc6a1dfccfca3eb6687

Wink

I'm here in the same part of the world as MT, and just slogging my pathetic long run was freakin miserable yesterday. No way in hell I would've lined up and raced, especially nothing as long as a half. Just a festival of humidity and heat. Blecchhh.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

8/11/12

Upsala Heritage 5k

Upsala MN

Goal: Sub 23:00

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

spaniel -- 8/9 -- some midnight 5K, Columbus, IN -- 16:40

No, I am not sandbagging, that's a legit goal right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills