3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August 2012 Racing Thread (Read 641 times)

8-26-12

Lakes Country Triathlon

Baxter MN

Swim = 0.5 mile

Bike = 17.0 miles

Run = 3.9 miles

Goal:

A) Sub 1:35:00

B) Top 25% 40-44 Male

This is the race in which I crashed my bike before the race even started and ended up in the emergency room with a head injury. This year there will be NO bike warmup ride, just a short run and swim warmup.

I achieved both goals at yesterdays race. Good way to end the tri season.

Goal:

A) Sub 1:35:00    Finished with a time of 1:33:23

B) Top 25% 40-44 Male.......Finished 5th of 23 in AG, top 22%

I ended up taking 4th in the swim, 3rd on the bike and 10th on the run. I need to get my run in line with my swim and bike, then I should be hearing the podium.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

an amazing likeness

08/19 MilkTruck - Westport Island Shore Run 10K, Westport Island, ME, g=49:59 (this is billed as toughest 10K course in Maine)

Logged a 48:54 at this little hill monster.  2nd in AG (50+)...but it's a small race with about 60 runners.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Goal:

I ended up taking 4th in the swim, 3rd on the bike and 10th on the run. I need to get my run in line with my swim and bike, then I should be hearing the podium.

Dude.  Awesome result!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Logged a 48:54 at this little hill monster.  2nd in AG (50+)...but it's a small race with about 60 runners.

2nd is 2nd.  Over a minute under goal...very nice!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I have not been following the racing threads much and forgot that I had volunteered for this.  Maybe paying attention to this will provide some motivation.  Anyway, post 'em if you got 'em.

NameDateDistanceRaceLocationGoalResult
            C-R 4th 5K Carmelfest Run for Haiti Carmel, IN Sub 21 20:13
            DoppleBock 4th 5K Seymour Bun Run Seymour, WI Sub 19  18:27
            Burnt Toast 4th Tri Graniteman - Big Lake Triathlon Big Lake, MN Top 10AG, Sub 1:25 8AG, 1:18:28
            rockenmamaof5 4th 8.5M River 2 Sea Relay Leg 1 NJ   1:05:56
            rockenmamaof5 4th 5.5M River 2 Sea Relay Leg 2 NJ   48:36
            Candice S. 11th Marathon Paavo Nurmi Marathon   Win 3:10:12 FTW
            MilkTruck 19th 10K Westport Island Shore Run 10K Westport Island, ME 49:59 48:54
            WhoDatRunner 25th 15K Dino Trail Run Series Indianapolis, IN 1:45 1:32:16
            Burnt Toast 26th Tri Lakes Country Triathlon Baxter, MN Sub 1:35, 25% AG 1:33:23, 22% AG

Racing at the end of the month is supposed to be like running in a later heat: you have the advantage of seeing what you've got to do to advance.  But geez!  Stiff competition.

Looks like I've got to PR by 2min on a hillier course in hotter weather.  Whose stupid idea was that, anyway?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Goal:

Nice race BT!

Nice race BT!

Thanks mbehr and Spaniel

Now if I can just drop about 25-30 pounds by next try season I should be pretty damn competetive in the run portion of the race.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

CliveF 31th 10K Tacky 10k Davidson NC Sub-42 (hilly course)  46:11

Nasty, hot, humid, 80*-plus dewpoint.  Hilly course.  Runner unwilling to adjust effort for either.

And so my evening ended like this:

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

Nasty, hot, humid, 80*-plus dewpoint.  Hilly course.  Runner unwilling to adjust effort for either.

I assume that you are OK.  You should have asked them to weigh you before they stuck a tube in you.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wow!  At least your still smiling!

steph  

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Dude that's hardcore. Hope you're OK. Did they hit stop on your Garmin for you?  Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I have not been following the racing threads much and forgot that I had volunteered for this.  Maybe paying attention to this will provide some motivation.  Anyway, post 'em if you got 'em.

rockenmamaof5 1st 5K Dead Harrier's 5k Warminster, PA 22:40 23:35
                          C-R 4th 5K Carmelfest Run for Haiti Carmel, IN Sub 21 20:13
                          DoppleBock 4th 5K Seymour Bun Run Seymour, WI Sub 19  18:27
                          MilkTruck 4th 10K Beach to Beacon 10K Cape Elizabeth, ME 46:30 48:13
                          Burnt Toast 4th Tri Graniteman - Big Lake Triathlon Big Lake, MN Top 10 AG, Sub 1:25 8th AG, 1:18:28
                          rockenmamaof5 4th 8.5M River 2 Sea Relay Leg 1 NJ   1:05:56
                          rockenmamaof5 4th 5.5M River 2 Sea Relay Leg 2 NJ   48:36
                          MilkTruck 5th HM Cape Ann Yukanrun Half   1:41 2:00.13
                          spaniel 9th 5K some midnight 5K Columbus, IN 16:40 DNS
                          Candice S. 11th Marathon Paavo Nurmi Marathon   Win 3:10:12 FTW
                          Burnt Toast 11th 5K Upsala Heritage 5 Upsala, MN Sub 23 DNS
                          MilkTruck 19th 10K Westport Island Shore Run 10K Westport Island, ME 49:59 48:54
                          WhoDatRunner 25th 15K Dino Trail Run Series Indianapolis, IN 1:45 1:32:16
                          Burnt Toast 26th Tri Lakes Country Triathlon Baxter, MN Sub 1:35, 25% AG 1:33:23, 22% AG
                          CliveF 31st 10K Tacky 10K Davidson, NC Sub 42 46:11

Looks like a good month for the Hurt Locker, racing through the heat and humidity.

Hats off to Burnt Toast, C-R, DB,  Candice, Milk Truck, and WhoDatRunner! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Oh shit I missed this.  Glad you are (now) OK.  True Hurtlocker effort.

I feel like a slacker right now thinking about how I resorted to walk/run in my hot and humid 5k instead of employing your HTFU approach. Kudos and hope you're ok.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Prince of Fatness

Some nice racing considering it was the dog days of summer.  I gotta go with Candice S for the beer, given the defense of the marathon title.

Congrats!

Not at it at all.