3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Summer Training and Fall Marathon (Read 119 times)

I am working on my training plan for this summer and for the St George Marathon on Oct. 6.

I just ran the Ogden Marathon on Sat and finished in 3:26:11.  I was shooting for <3:15 to BQ but it just wasn't there.

My training was fairly sporadic over the last couple of months before.  I know that being more consistent is going to be the biggest help in improving.

I am leaning towards doing Pfitz 18/70 or 12/70 for the marathon.  I have a 10k the 3rd week of July that I have been trying to decide whether or not to focus on the 10k race and then focus on marathon training after the 10k.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Feeling the growl again

FWIW, the difference in training between the 10K and marathon are overblown.  My 5K and 10K PRs were both set on marathon training, and far superior to anything I ran on "5K/10K training".  

I would say pick your marathon plan, make sure you are spending part of at least one workout a week (plus some strides on another day) at or faster than your 10K pace, for 6-8 weeks leading into the 10K.  Once you are through the 10K, longer tempo workouts and medium/long runs can take the place of intervals most weeks.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills