3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Should a wasp sting have much effect on a hard workout? (Read 235 times)

I was doing a key workout for my upcoming race - a 4 hour brick (3hour bike/1 hour run) at race pace.  At mile 24 of 60 on the bike, a wasp stung me right square in the forehead.  I'm not allergic or anything, but it gave me a good headache.  I finished my ride and felt ok, except for the headache.  

I know on my run, I started too fast, which was stupid... but even so, I thought I should be able to slow it down, and when I started feeling really bad, I figured I could jog it on in the last 2 miles.

Wasn't happening.   I made it 5 miles.  And even though I had slowed down a lot, I was on the edge of throwing up... so I stopped, walked the last 2 miles to the truck.

Have any of you been stung during a race or hard workout?  Did it affect you at all?

(See I'm trying to figure out a way that it wasn't ALL my fault, and rationalize that I'm in better shape than this workout shows.)

Ostrich runner

Stings are weird. A hornet took my legs from under me for a few days last year on a backpacking trip. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Stings are weird. A hornet took my legs from under me for a few days last year on a backpacking trip. 

Ouch.  Hornet stings are tough.  

Well, I hobbled through my long run on Sunday about the pace I expected, so I guess there's no permanent damage. LOL!