2018 in 2018

Are You Planning to Join the 2019 TEAM Game? (Read 122 times)

Run Fastah 2018

The 2018 games goes on, but your game admins are already thinking about next year. One of the considerations we are thinking about is how many teams we'll have next year. We started with 10 teams of 18-20 runners this year (based on trying to balance mileage targets); ESTR is down to 12 people while  Modi-5 Button still has 18.

This is NOT a sign up or commitment, but just trying to gauge interest.

Please vote what is closest to what you are thinking right now.  Smile

MTA: 2019 Sign ups will close on DEC 22! Once teams are formed, we are NOT adding any runners. NO LATE ADDITIONS!

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

Three half marathons later, I got a number. Half Fanatic #9292. :)

I fly.

What about the option of I want to join, but I don't know if I can bear to be on the team stays in last place for 6-7 months of the year (okay 9 months)...

Bring it on.

Run Fastah 2018

What about the option of I want to join, but I don't know if I can bear to be on the team stays in last place for 6-7 months of the year (okay 9 months)...

I hear you. Our team is fun, but I'd like to win a few more weeks. Clearly we need to break up Modi-5 well when we make next year's teams.

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

stealth.rnr

Or clone M5 a few times......

nevermind......

Trails

Jill my biggest concern is that fact that I don't do traditional races only 50ks and up.  Next year I am planning on a 100k so I'll have the miles but won't be winning any points for 5k to marathon.

Bravos Bend 50 - Dec 8 - DNF

Prairie Spirit 50 mile - Mar 30

Possums Revenge 56k May 25

Lhotse 24 Hour Aug 30

I lost my rama

Jill my biggest concern is that fact that I don't do traditional races only 50ks and up.  Next year I am planning on a 100k so I'll have the miles but won't be winning any points for 5k to marathon.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.  I'll be lobbying for a race point for longest ultra each week next year.

But I did run a 5K last weekend   Oh wait, my team is out. 

2019 Line-up:

3/7 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon

6/22 - Monitou's Revenge 54 Mi - tentative

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour - tentative

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

stealth.rnr

50k and 100k race miles are equal to marathon race points if they help your team win the most race miles that week.

nevermind......

Run Fastah 2018

In the head to head weekly team competitions, there are 10 points for the team with the highest % to team mileage goal. 1 point to the team with the highest race miles and 2 points to the team with the highest percentage of runners hitting their individual mileage goals. There are single points for the fastest 5k, 10k, half and full, but the fastest race is calculated across both the individual and team games so those are not always awarded.

I honestly don't think it should be a make or break for anyone if their preferred race distance isn't included. Many people in the game aren't fast enough too win those anyway. What we need is people to commit to the game and run consistently to their goal as much as possible.

I lost my rama

There are single points for the fastest 5k, 10k, half and full, but the fastest race is calculated across both the individual and team games so those are not always awarded.

This is why I think it would be cool to include longest ultra race for a race point.  Fastest in an ultra is irrelevant, given how different the conditions and terrain are, but longest might make it interesting, even just for a single point.  And not all 100 mile races are equal distance either.  Also, very few running a 50K or 100K would win the marathon race point, unless nobody runs a marathon that week.  I think the marathon is a very different race anyway.

In any case, just throwing the idea out there. 

2019 Line-up:

3/7 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon

stealth.rnr

An ultra can win most time on your feet and highest mileage of the week points, plus the team race mileage point. Adding a 4th potential point for 1 race is too much. Fastest mathons only get 1.

nevermind......

I think someone that is an ultra runner and runs consistent mileage throughout the year is a huge asset to a team. Winning fastest race distance is only a point, but consistently banging out your miles week after week is what positions a team to get those 10 pts week after week. I only run a handful of races throughout the year and will never get fastest race but being on a team is what keeps me running consistently and that's where it really matters.

and don't be hating on the modi-5's  . games not over and we haven't won. so much can happen!

Tammy

I lost my rama

stealth.mr - Very good point (but I still haven't given up, haha!)

Tammy - High mileage runners can also backfire on the team if they get hit with non-IR worthy life issues.  Kind of a double-edged sword, but I hear what you're saying.

2019 Line-up:

3/7 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon

Run Fastah 2018

I think someone that is an ultra runner and runs consistent mileage throughout the year is a huge asset to a team. Winning fastest race distance is only a point, but consistently banging out your miles week after week is what positions a team to get those 10 pts week after week. I only run a handful of races throughout the year and will never get fastest race but being on a team is what keeps me running consistently and that's where it really matters.

and don't be hating on the modi-5's  . games not over and we haven't won. so much can happen!

Tammy, good point about the ultra running.  As for M-5, you guys knocked us out of the game LAST NIGHT. Give Jill & I some time to get over that. 

Quickadder

Modi-5 Button

Or clone M5 a few times......

Isn't that what Eric's program does at the start of the year? The teams start the year as close to identical as Eric can make it, so in theory any of the teams could have done what Modi-5 Button have done to date.

I don't see any significant difference between the individual members of Modi-5 and other teams, but we quickly developed a powerful team spirit and the rest is history.

Started running at age 60.

PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39 (12/9/17), Marathon 4:32:09

Upcoming: Watch this space!

but we quickly developed a powerful team spirit and the rest is history.

I think we (Modi-5) owe a lot to our team captains - a totally underrated and thankless job (sort of like game admins.) -  but MUCH appreciated.