10 k a day or 3650 km for the year

How close are you to running 10k/day - not as an average but for real (like the mile a day club)? (Read 1270 times)

Here's another way of looking at out group progress. (Scroll down to see a table)

MTA3: I'm hoping that all the calculation bugs are now GONE. I've tried.

The data as a table:

I'm managing to keep well ahead of the 10k/day average so far this year, but I got curious about how I was going with the *raw* goal of completing 10k a day - not as an average per day, but for real (i.e. how many days this year have I run more than 10k?). I could have just counted the runs in my log, but why do that when I could be a geek and write some code? ... so I wrote a Google script to read the info from my RA log and do the counting for me. Then I thought perhaps others may be interested too so I tweaked the script and checked how I compared to others. Here's the result. Interestingly the leader board is not an exact duplicate of the YTD distance list - but the top name is the same for both (Amores Perros) and even then it's only 80% of days at 10k/day. There is a chart, and if you scroll down a table. The info in this post is live and is automatically updated once a day. If you are missing from the list then your log is probably private and the Google script can not see the info.

MTA1: Shifted the boring word stuff to the bottom, and put the charts up the top of the post.

MTA2: Chart links changed

Running - cheaper than therapy

Thanks for that, I like it.   I'll make this a sticky post so it stays at the top of the list.

Steve
      My Marathons and another interest Sports Photography

Good work - it's an interesting chart.

I'm not sure I actually want to run 10km every single day. But I'd have hoped for more than 47%. It's easy to make excuses about illness and injury... but part of the game is figuring out how to run without getting injured.

Unlike the pace dingo there no way to completely make amends... you can catch the dingo if you're behind, but you can't reach 100% - for this year at least. It might be interesting to have a rolling percentage - for example the percentage of days in the last 30 that you ran 10km.

But I'd have hoped for more than 47%. 

I was surprised that mine was this low so I had a bit of a look at my workouts for the year. Part of the reason is that I have a standard run that I do that I think of as "10km", but actually my gps normally makes it about 9.8km... so I have quite a lot of days that are 9.8km days, but not 10km days. I might have to modify the route slightly to tack on another couple of hundred metres Smile

Another interesting column could be the average days per week running.   In my case, at 72% that equates to 5.04 days per week running at 10 km per day or more.

Steve

What if you do a double, a 10k+ run in the am then one in the PM? Does that count as two runs over 10k even though it is the same day?

Good work - it's an interesting chart.

I'm not sure I actually want to run 10km every single day. But I'd have hoped for more than 47%. It's easy to make excuses about illness and injury... but part of the game is figuring out how to run without getting injured.

Unlike the pace dingo there no way to completely make amends... you can catch the dingo if you're behind, but you can't reach 100% - for this year at least. It might be interesting to have a rolling percentage - for example the percentage of days in the last 30 that you ran 10km.

xhristopher

Very interesting but might my data be a little off? I've got 15+ doubles or runs where I've broken them into multiple entries with no individual entry longer than 10K to better categorize the workout, race, etc... from warm up, cool down, or extra miles. I know on the 52 in 52 forum I have to manually enter my runs broken into multiple entries but, unlike the 52 in 52 forum, 10K a day need not be a continuous run.

I assume (without knowing for sure) that it's just using daily totals and counting the number of days that the daily total exceeds 10km, but I guess Ian knows for sure...

xhristopher

I assume (without knowing for sure) that it's just using daily totals and counting the number of days that the daily total exceeds 10km, but I guess Ian knows for sure...

Out of curiosity I counted them and found 75 (give or take) but now I don't know how to account for the difference. Bike rides?

What if you do a double, a 10k+ run in the am then one in the PM? Does that count as two runs over 10k even though it is the same day?

If the script works as I intend it to then it adds up distance run on a day and "counts" it if the total is 10km or more - so running 10km in the morning and 10km in the evening counts as one day of at least 10km.

Another interesting column could be the average days per week running.   In my case, at 72% that equates to 5.04 days per week running at 10 km per day or more.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll have another play (probably on the weekend) and try to add that to the table.

Out of curiosity I counted them and found 75 (give or take) but now I don't know how to account for the difference. Bike rides?

The script says 67 so there must be something wrong with what I've told it to do. I've had a quick look and I counted up from your log and found 68 x 10k run days, and 9 x 10k bike days. The script only counts run days so that's probably the difference.

xhristopher

The script says 67 so there must be something wrong with what I've told it to do. I've had a quick look and I counted up from your log and found 68 x 10k run days, and 9 x 10k bike days. The script only counts run days so that's probably the difference.

I counted again and got 73 then used that "reports" feature and got 72 so I assume if I did it a few more times I'd get to 67. 

No worries. I should probaly stop drinking and just figure out how many miles a 10K is. 

MTA: Some of my entries were clearly short. If I logged 6.2 miles, which I did, I was clearly short of 10K by about 72 feet. I'm such a slacker.

jpdeaux

I think I have 77, but it could be 75. If I run the report by "10K to 100mi", I get 75 "entries" with the Summary Button.

If I run it by Day I get 95 days total, with 18 under 10K, so 77 left.

I think it's 77. But 3/31 was the last time I went over 10K and it feels like forever.

I think I have 77, but it could be 75. If I run the report by "10K to 100mi", I get 75 "entries" with the Summary Button.

If I run it by Day I get 95 days total, with 18 under 10K, so 77 left.

I think it's 77. But 3/31 was the last time I went over 10K and it feels like forever.

Unfortunately (unlike the 52 in 52 group tracking sheet) I have not set things up so that you can enter a manual count. That feature may have to come out in version 2.0Cool.

Your log (along with maryclaire, owentx, StriderDave, Tesso, & tony123) is not open with the "Allow everyone to see my running log" setting that the google script needs to be able to read the data. This means you 6 are invisible and won't show up on the chart. Sorry.

I've added a few more columns to the table. 

The key "new" information is avg. distance/day, and avg. distance on each day that you have actually run

I've added a few more columns to the table. 

The key "new" information is avg. distance/day, and avg. distance on each day that you have actually run

Thanks iansyd, this is really adding value to the group.   Very interesting.

Steve