50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 11 times)

Art in AZ

I'll start off the month of July.

8 hot and sweaty miles this morning. No breeze to speak of. Got a slight reprieve towards the end as the sun went behind some clouds for a few minutes. Well it's not a dry heat anymore.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

3 slow easy miles today. Trying to fight off what feels like a cold.

AZ - To answer your question from June section. The ride is in Mesa the whole time. Ride up to the canal and follow it East for a while and then head over to a subdivision that has a hill in it. Pedal up the hill and then head home. I like it for the length and the fact there are a few inclines I have to work at, Plus the downhill coast gives me a chance to rest if I want.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Wow. Three in a row. Everyone must be busy.

5 miles this morning under cloudy skies. Thunderstorm rolled through last night but it rained just a little where I'm at. Temps are a little cooler because of the clouds but still humid out.

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend. Everyone have a great 4th of July weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Art- nice & steady with the runs. Good job in your climate.

AZ- I guess you could call my low mileage the last 2 weeks a taper.

Dan

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Hope you don't get a summer cold. Must be hot on your runs.

A few days off due to work and medical reason (routine)

10 miles at 6 AM.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

A whopping 1 mile this morning. A couple of the grand daughters wanted to ride their scooters for a while. So a quick trip to the park, a couple of minutes rest for them and they were ready to go back home. I don't blame them. It was hot and muggy. We made pancakes, eggs and bacon for breakfast and them made a loaf of bread and cooked it on the grill. They were nice and left me a small piece.

Chantilly - A good run early in the morning. This 'cold' is just enough to make me feel a little run down. Slight headache and some congestion. Hasn't affected my past runs any.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

odd, the above post from last night was longer; second time that's happened. 

8.1 mi on trail hills today, some house and yard work, then relaxing.

DW & I went to neighboring town for fireworks last night, Baraboo isn't having this year, the Chamber of Commerce put the money toward the Great Circus Parade on 7/25. Used to be hosted by Milwaukee for years, now local in recent years.

Enjoy your Independence Day!

Dan

Art in AZ

9 miles this morning under cloudy skies again. I'll take the break from the sun. Felt nice and relaxed during the run.

I hope Rich has been resting well and his leg is better.

Dan - Yea, the site has been acting funny the last few days. I have had to go back and retype my message a couple of times.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  One mile is further than those on the couch! Nice BBQ breakfast in the heat. The 9 mile day must have had you feeling better.

justrundan Keeping up on your hill training, not too long for you now...

4 miles yesterday and 3 today. Going to the dentist.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 7/6... 4 mile walk / jog on the railtrail this morning, I'll follow it up with a bike ride later.   Progress is slow with this dirty rotten low down leg of mine, but I am gaining.    Lot's of walk / jogs, bike and trike miles and even a few running miles, but that's about it.

Thoroughly enjoyed the race reports last month.

Everybody seems to be running well.

Wife gave me a Father's Day card that read... "You can be King for today as long as you remember I'm the Queen every day." 

Hey, how 'bout the Women's Soccer team, what a game last night!

Ok, like Arnold, I'll be back...

Ok, so it took me 6 days to FINALLY realize everyone is posting in JULY!!!   Mind is getting as muggy as this weather!!

To read more, go back to JUNE   Art, you weren't 'alone' in posting, I was in June, LOL!!

Ray:  CONGRATS to the whole family on their placement in recent race, AWESOME!! This upcoming TRAIL marathon is on my bucket list.  Will be taking walk breaks so no pressure, and I'll finish.  Grandma's was my long 'training' run a month prior to this trail run so it fit quite nicely with my schedule.

Art: end of June, you've had some lightening shows in the 'valley'!!  Sudden monsoons and incredible thunder/lightening (saw it on weather channel).  Yeah, wish I could attach another bottle to my Nathan waist belt but I'm still experimenting with back pac.

July 1: drove to gym. 10 mins on elliptical, 6.2 miles on TM on hills program, then 20 mins on elliptical, 10 mins on cycle, and finished with 15 mins of weights.

July 2:  Rest day today and tomorrow.

Art: answer to your question:  www.wildwomanmarathon.com is in Trout Lake, WA., about 1/2 hr. north of Hood River, OR.  We've been to Seattle a few times. I have a niece whose DH is in the Navy and stationed there.  Also a best friend and her DH who manages a "unique cabin resort on the Strait of Juan de Fuca on the WA's Olympic Peninsula"  www.chitobeach.com   You can see Canada from the cabins  about 15 miles away.  I spent a week there a couple of yrs ago, running/hiking, sightseeing in Forks, Cape Flattery.  DH and I spent about 10 days exploring and riding our Harleys up and down scenic byways including Olympic N.P. last Sept.

July 5:  Rest on Thurs, gym closed on Friday.  Lots of smoke from the Canadian fires in Saskatchewan.  Despite the hazy smokey air, I had to get a long run in.  Tough 15.1 miles on the paved State bike trail.  The occasional breeze was a life-saver.  Slower pace to compensate for the muggy and smokey conditions.

Chantilly:  you are more west of me so how is the air there?  Rainstorm came through so hopefully it helped.

Dan:  what about your area?  And this weekend is your race, you're ready!!

Monday, 7/6... 4 mile walk / jog on the railtrail this morning, I'll follow it up with a bike ride later.   Progress is slow with this dirty rotten low down leg of mine, but I am gaining.    Lot's of walk / jogs, bike and trike miles and even a few running miles, but that's about it.

Wife gave me a Father's Day card that read... "You can be King for today as long as you remember I'm the Queen every day." 

Hey, how 'bout the Women's Soccer team, what a game last night!

Ok, like Arnold, I'll be back...

NH:  GREAT to have you back!!  Glad that you are progressing, albeit, with caution.  Sometimes DHs need 'reminders', LOL!!  World Cup  game was incredible!! YIPPEE!!   3 GOALS by Lloyd alone, WOW!! Redemption is exhilarating!!

Art:  you've been running pretty consistently lately.  That's impressive when I know how extreme the summer temps can be in the 'valley.'  I use to run along the canal now and then when I needed a change of 'scenery'.  Do you run/bike near Tempe Lake or is that too far?  Stay cool.

Today, went to university gym for another workout.  Construction is still ongoing.  It's 'cooler' this morning in comparison to the last few days but still muggy outside and smell of tar in the gym.  Decisions  ....... need some 'hills' so drove to university gym this morning.

Started with 10 mins elliptical.  Ran 2 interval miles on TM hills program.  5 mins on cycle.  Ran 2.5 interval miles on TM hills program again.  Then 10 mins elliptical and 10 mins cycle.  Finished with 20 mins weights.  Left shoulder from my fall on snow/ice in late Nov. is slowly healing so taking it easy on the weights.

justrundan

AZ- no sign of the smoke here, but they are warning that it may follow the cold front that's giving us  some thunderstorms this evening.  So we won't be opening the windows tonight to catch the cool breeze!

When do you head to Washington?

Yes, Dances with Dirt is this Saturday, it's coming, ready or not.  I'm looking forward to it since I know more what to expect c/w last year, my first trail race.  and I know the trails pretty well by now too.  Even if I'm not in my best shape I can try to run a more tactical race and save myself for when I need it.  we will see.  Saturday I saw at least 3 other runners on the trails who I expect to be there on the 11th.

NHRich- glad you're being patient with your leg.  and Yes, we husbands do need the reminder now and then. 

short run today and probably tomorrow, Wed is rest day as always, then easy run Thursday to wind it down for DWD.

re: the World Cup championship- missed most of it, but just saw the 3rd goal by Lloyd on replay- O. My. Goodness.  what a shot!!!

You all have a great week.

Dan

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning under cloudy skies. Temps were a couple of degrees lower but the humidity and dew point were higher. The clouds in the morning are leftovers from the monsoon condition that arrives late in the day.

Chantilly - It's fun cooking outside. The grandkids thinks it's a novelty. I don't know what is worse right now. Cooking outside in the heat to help keep the house cool or cooking inside in the air condotioned house and heating the house.

Rich - Nice to hear from you. Sounds like things are going well if slowly.

AZ - Did you go back in time to post in June. Yes, the evening shows have been pretty good a couple of times. But so far it's been all wind and dust and no rain. Nice long run there. I with you on the slower pace because of the weather.

I'm trying to maintain my consistency instead of running less in the summer this time. Thinking I might like to do a couple of events in the fall and not have to ramp up the running. We'll see how it goes. Just when I think I'm a little better acclimated to these higher temps along comes a day that smacks me back down a peg or two.

I have run a few events around Tempe Town Lake and like the area. Haven't biked there yet. Mainly because there isn't a mostly traffic free route. It would make for a good bike ride though. I'll have to check this out some more.

Dan - Good luck this Saturday. Remember the goal is to finish and not be injured.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ