50 and over 5k and beyond

February Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

Chantilly75

3 miles yesterday and 10 miles today.  Difficult to read back and try to "talk" to everyone, so I hope I did it ok.

NH Runner Good news about your CT.  Hope the leg improves.  Maybe a shoe change would be wise.

rmcj001 Nice workouts. Wow.. 7:35 pace...Good to hear that your reservoirs are filling up.

adkkev Some nice indoor workouts for you. Interesting farm visit. Nice hike on the snowshoes…scenic!

az2mntrail Sounds like you are feeling better. Have fun and good weather in AZ.   You're taking the new bike…that'll be a workout on the trails there…I'll see about the Blue Ox as the summer progresses...

gito57 Quite a lovely group of birds on your run.  Good variety of gym workouts. ...WI is the land of cheese!….guess it's mostly cow's cheese.

My son and I ran several 5/10 Km's and 4 HMs before he became too busy. I work as casual/relief, so am dependent upon the young ones being off for vacation/maternity/sick leave. I don't want a full time job at my age (61), but can't retire till 65.

justrundan Congratulations on your high mileage month. It would be nice to meet up in the fall.

Art in AZ Some nice miles for you.  What kind of shoes did you get? Did you ever find another home made bagel place?

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 2/1... my left knee's complaining today, so I'm icing instead of running...lol   February already, where has winter gone?! lol

Chantilly... Thanks!   I'm going to change shoes, but am not sure what I want to change to, so am going to read a few reviews, then take it from there.    Goal for now is to get rid of the inflammation in my knee, then go from there.    Nice mileage lately!

Jeezzz, I was just thinking that I need to post in a new month and I STILL SPACED it out ...........and posted in JANUARY!! Jeezzz!!!   It won't allow me to 'cut and paste' so you just have to go back to January .........Sorry ........

Just read the two posts.

Chantilly:  would be great to meet you! 10 miler today!!  awesome!!

NH:  oh no!! R-I-C-E- .........tell me about it!  Hope you recover quickly. And it's LEAP YEAR?!?  Anyone know anyone who has a birthday on Feb. 29th?  

rmcj001

For those who (like me) don't want to back track to January's thread...Here's what Az posted:

Ray:  I like your three goals for Boston.  But I think your competitive spirit has it the other way, 3:30 being a first goal, etc. And we all know  you will reach each of those goals!  I actually requested that the PT be a 'runner' ...........maybe I should have been more precise, haha!! He's okay, and I possess enough curiosity to keep him engaged in my treatment and outcome. WE are working on it together and that's important to me. The 'dull ache' is gone so those few seconds of acupuncture seemed to have taken care of that.  Will see how I do after I start 'jogging/walk break' back on the AZ mtn trails.

NH:  Walk breaks aren't so bad.  Other muscles pick up the load to foster your finish.  I hope it gets better.  Massage can help too.  I agree with Ray that many runners become 'pace obsessed' each time they run when they get closer to their goal.  I know I start to do that so I just take a 'walk break' to get back to training plan. Do you emember, we had a runner on here who got us doing some 'gump runs?'  I think there is some good logic there.  Of course, I'm gonna be doing ALOT of those now, haha!!

Deb:  bummer on you missing out on the possible 'reunion.'  But if things change ........... I did mention the Blue Ox now and then though before you rejoined us .......just sayin' LOL!!   We would love to have some visitors up here in northern MN!!   Great Jan. miles!! You have 58 more miles on me!

Dan:  Your area seems to be still going through some storms .....another on the way I hear, which will be south of us. yippee!!

adkkev:  you always have such an adventure on your runs/snowshoe!! I've missed those.  Love your descriptive explorations; they sound just amazingly soothing places!! I love and miss the sound of trickling water in the forest.  Can you snowshoe in those deep snow places?

Art:  WOW! you caught up on your running in just a few days!!  I would think you outran your shoes by now.  I need to stop in at the Road Runner just to make my feet happy again, haha!!  New running shoes, what kind?  I'm hoping for nice sunny days in northern AZ mts!!  I have a couple of meetings in Phx which will allow me to visit and spoil rotten the two GD princesses. 

Chantilly:  work must be keeping you busy .....which is a good thing so you can save up for the Oct. Blue Ox, right? Hope you're getting some strong runs.

I'll be on the road tomorrow and will check in when I can.  Run safe and stay warm everyone.

PRs In my 50's:  10k trail=52:00;10 m rd=1:23;10 m trail=1:31; HM=1:52; 25K Trail=2:40; FM=4:10; 50k=7:18

Copy and paste from January thread for Az. Italisized so you know it is a quote...

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Happy February!

Art - Nice 3 day streak there, you're on a roll!  I love shoe talk, what did you get?

adkkev - Excellent snow shoe adventure! 

Ray - From the few people I know that have run Boston, it appears they went two ways -- trained to run it competitively or run it easy to take it all in.  The latter thought they would never qualify again or be able to afford a return trip so they wanted to savor every moment.  You are certainly putting up some nice mileage!

AZ - You'll be back to those mega-mile-months in no time.  Enjoy the SW sunshine and being together with family.  Wish I could be there for Blue Ox!!!  I'd love to run Grandma's or Gary Bjorklund HM some time.  As senior parents of a team member we spearhead the XC Invitational.  It is a highly regarded meet with 35-40 HS teams and 15-20 grade school teams participating.  Lots of preparation and hard work, but so much fun!

Chantilly -  Thanks for getting us started this month!  Nice mileage for you over the past two days.  I hope the young ones appreciate you being there to fill in what must be mostly weekend and holiday hours, right?  My job is kind of physical, so other than the $$$ I'm happy it is PT.

Mo, 2/1 - Beautiful day here, cloudless sky and in the mid 40's F.  Decided to  run the 6.5 miles on the interurban bike path.  Some flooded areas due to the warm temps and the weekend rain, but so nice to soak up some vitamin D.  Capris and ss t-shirt were just fine today.  Lots of people walking their pups or running before the snow rolls in.  They've downgraded earlier predictions for a blizzard.  Hopefully there will be just enough snow to cover up all the icky, gray stuff studded with garbage that was revealed because of the January thaw.

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

3 running miles on the treadmill @ 2% incline, 2 miles walking on the treadmill @ 2% to 5% incline.

Az - I have an older model MSR Denali Ascent snowshoes ... I like them because they are pretty sturdy with nice teeth on the crampons for a good grip on the slippery stuff.  They are about 24" long ... and then I have "tails" that I can attach to the rear end of the snowshoe to extend them to about 32" long for the deep snow.  I didn't use the tails on Sunday ... off trail snow just wasn't deep enough to warrant using them.  Another cool feature of these snowshoes are the "televators" ... it's a u-shaped rod that you can pop up under the heels of your shoes (that are in the snowshoe bindings); these help when you're climbing steep slopes, doesn't let your heel come all the way down to the snowshoe.  Hard to describe without a photo.  But believe me it works!!

Chantilly - I'm still working and will be for another 2.5 years (I'm 63) ... then I'll be able to retire & keep my current health insurance as my Medicare Advantage plan.

Rich - have you ever considered something like the Altra Olympus shoes?  Cushioned much like Hokas but with a nice wide toebox.  Might be helpful for your knee issues.

adkkev

Hi Deb!!  You posted while I was composing my post!!  Nice run for you today!!

Chantilly75

NH Runner  What type of shoe are you looking at? Do you wear a different shoe on the rail trail than on the road?

Back to your comment re: vinyl LP's. ...Did you ever think when listening to them, that 40 yrs. in the future, you would be saying "I only ran X number of  miles today?"  Back then I'm sure most of us didn't think people in their 60's could be runners. LOL

az2mntrail  Safe travels!  "spacing out" goes with being "50 and over"  …. I have been to the Runners Den in Glendale quite a few times and found some good running clothes there.

gito57  Nice weather on your bike path! We have had a very mild winter also. Quite the track meet for your son. Sounds like you do a lot of work for it.

I work the 12 hr. night shift…. it's not that popular with the young ones...

adkkev That incline on the treadmill  will help you on your hiking.

10 miles indoor track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Chantilly- nice track miles.  Good luck with the night shift.  I used to hate that.

Debra- wow, nice Milwaukee weather!  I haven't run in SS in a long time.  Did you get snow today, or did it slide north of Milwaukee?  We got 7 inches very quickly, came down real fast, then just misting last 5-6 hrs.

AZ- hope your trip goes well.  Keep rehabbing that knee!

Rich- I've been using Brooks Ghost 6&7 for quite a while, really l like them.

adkkev- good Tmiles

3.4 on TM this morning, some cross training moving snow this evening.  lots of patients cancelled today so got home early.

You all be careful out there.

Dan

Art in AZ

Monday morning was damp, cold and very windy making it seem even colder. End of the storm moving through the state. Did get some rain over night. Rotten running conditions so ended up with a mile, maybe.

This morning got in 3 miles under clear cold skies. But no wind. Even dressed for the weather I didn't feel loose while running. Felt stiff and chilled. With the talk about jogging and running, let me say I was jogging more than running. Well, there's always tomorrow.

Chantilly - Nice couple of 10 miles there. I don't remember reading about it but how has the weather been by you? Got another pair of road shoes. Will probably get another pair in a couple of months. And no on the bagel place. I don't know what it was but those bagels from the Bagel Nosh were real good. But slowly lost the great taste. Others I've tried all seem to taste like they came from the grocery store. Mostly good but not up to what I had before. Still looking.

Rich - Icing your knee. I think a walk outside would 'ice' it nicely. Don't get too excited yet, I'm sure the weather will return.

Debra - I ended up with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 16. The 14s were real nice, the 15s were OK but ended up feeling tight in the toe box. So for the 16s I went to a different size. Sales person mentioned that other runners that had the 15s complained of the tight toe box also. I'll run in them Wednesday morning. Funny you mention temps in the mid 40s and running in a ss shirt. I would still be in a long sleeve shirt.

adkkev - I had to look up snowshoes to picture what you were talking about. Not something I see a lot of down here.

Dan - Good cross training there.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

5.5 miles on the elliptical followed by .66 miles of cooling down on the treadmill (yeah, odd mileage but it's 11 minutes of walking).

Art - my second pair of running shoes were Brooks Adrenalines ... I retired them to yard work after a while, moving onto Brooks Pure Flows for a while.  Found that I needed a larger toe box & the Pure Flows were a little better in that respect.  Then I discovered Altras.

We have been catching up on the early seasons of Downton Abbey on dvds.  I missed the first season & started watching in season 2, my wife didn't start watching until season 4.  It's kinda neat to watch how some of the characters have "developed" over the seasons.  I don't see how they can possibly end things for good this season ... not sure how they're going to wrap all the stories up!!  It's too bad ... this is one of those series that could go on forever.

Our DIL (in Alaska) posted a video of our younger grandson (he's 4 yrs old) climbing free style up a climbing wall ... he just buzzed right up that wall as if it were nothing, chattering away as he climbed.  Pretty neat to watch.  His older brother, who is almost 8, is a hockey nut & has been playing pee wee hockey for several years but the younger one isn't interested in hockey (or ice skating) at all.  Maybe he's found something, eh?

rmcj001

Monday, 2/1/16, 4.5 mile recovery run on TM - at 4 miles I just wanted to get off the machine so sped it up a bit to get to a point where I felt OK to stop...strange how that goes sometimes.

Tuesday, 2/2/16, running late afternoon here at work with the temps dropping miles just kept getting faster, 8.4 miles of "running" for me, jogging for those elite runners 

Rich - That was good news about your lungs!  We're having weird weather, it warmed up but was wet last week, this week it has cooled down and still a bit wet (chance for snow on Mt Hamilton today) and they're expecting Sunday to be near 70F and dry! There's lots of snow in the Sierras now and the lakes are filling up nicely.

Chantilly - Some nice 10 milers the last couple of days! Every now and then I do go a bit faster - today I didn't need any help to approach that for a little while 

Az - Hope it was ok to include your post (you won't sue me for copyright infringement, I hope ) Realized after I did the post, it probably would have made sense to just copy the link over...

Gito - Yes, familiar with the 2 schools of thought. I'm not much of a smell the roses kind of guy unless I'm injured. DW will be running in 2017 and I'm thinking might have to stay with her on that one - which would give me time to "take it all in".  Don't know what'll happen after that. Run yesterday had to feel good! 6.5 miles! WTG!

Art - 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other - it's all good.

adkkev - Keeping it going!  The snow shoes sound interesting - not that I'll ever need any...

Dan - Some good cross training shoveling the snow. Nice mileage for January!  Bodes well for the rest of the year...

Ray

Hi everyone! Quick post. About to leave from DH's aunt place (SD) after waiting out the storm last night. Sunny out, WOW!!

Ray:  thanks for posting my post in Feb. posts, haha!!

Dan, Chantilly, Deb and anyone else who might be interested.  It's in Sept. It's considered one of the best midwest trail run, not technical at all, lots of rolling hills I've been told. I have not run it yet .......always end up traveling but I hope to run it this year, probably the HM although the FM would be awesome!! It's about 50 mins from us so you're welcome to stay at our home.  Nice scenic drive to and from.

http://www.northlandrunner.com/run?page=Race&raceId=280http://www.northlandrunner.com/run?page=Race&raceId=280

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly - After the 2014 and 2015 deep freezes, this winter has been great.  When my sister was working as an RN she always worked 3rd shift and loved it.  Thankful people offer to do it, 'cause I know it would be tough for me.
                              Dan - No snow at all, too warm.  All the weather ingredients were there for a repeat of the 2011 Groundhog Day blizzard!
                              Art - Hope the new shoes and warmer temperatures help to bring a little magic to your running.  I've always been a Brooks shoe wearer, and both my sons wear Adrenaline.  I've worn Defyance, PureFlow, PureGrit and Ghost.  The PureFlow1 was my favorite, then they redesigned the shoe and the toe box.  Seems to be a pattern with Brooks, eh?
                              adkkev - Your grandsons certainly have their grandparent's adventurous spirit!  LOVE Downton Abbey!  The verbal sparring between the Dowager and Isobel Crawley are priceless.  I guess all good things must come to and end, before they "jump the shark"!
                              Ray - Never expected you to give anything less than your finest at Boston!  Congrats to DW for BQ-ing!
                              AZ - Thanks for the link and the invite!  Hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing!

Tu, 2/2 - 20 minutes elliptical~>30 minutes weight training~>plank/bridges, 3x40 sec.~>20 minutes stretching.  Then home for stroganoff  and the annual viewing of Groundhog Day with Bill Murray.

W 2/3 -  up early for 4 miles with pick ups on the last lap of each mile at the indoor track.  Checking in while I await a conference call meeting for work. zzzzz!

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

3.6 miles on the treadmill ... starting at 2% incline moving up to 5% incline by mile 1.25.  Pretty warm inside the gym ... wish they'd either turn down the thermostat or turn on the a/c.  And some folks are wearing sweatshirts & capris .... they have to roasting in them.

Another warm day with lots of rain, windy too, hard to believe that it's early February.