50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 04/07/2013 (Read 13 times)

Art in AZ

Short 3 mile run this morning. Sunny with temp about 60 degrees. Took Easter Sunday off spending time with family.

Rich - Answering your question about summer running from the other thread. Yes I run in the summer and ride the bike also. I try to get out earlier during the summer but as long as it is dry out it's not to bad. However, during July, August and first part of September, the humidity goes way up and running then can become really challenging. During this time even a short run I have to bring water with or run the same course that has a water station all the time. After those runs I can take off my clothes and literally squeeze the sweat out. And running at night isn't really an option has it hasn't cooled off any. In fact there are times when I can watch the 10:00 PM news and it shows the current temp on the screen that it is still 100 degrees out. Least favorite time for me here.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Monday

April Fools Day

My legs were a little sore this morning, so I ran a 3 mile recovery run on the railtrail.  The trail's still got at least another week of drying out before it's in good shape.  Where the sun gets through it's ok, but I was picking my way along to avoid the ice and mud where it's shaded.    Splits were 11:20, 11:20 and 11:05.

Art, I've looked at Miami's weather in July and August and it'll be in the high 90's with dew points in the mid 70's.   I don't know how anyone can exercise in that stuff, but my buddy does.   We have heat and humidity here in NH, but never to that extreme.   It sounds like your July, August and September is like our December, January and February, weather so extreme it takes all the fun out of being outside.

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  I like being warm, but your summer would be a bit much to run in. Spring break weather is nice there.

NH Runner keep watching out for that hidden ice.

6 miles on the track. Had to tell a couple of kids (<10) to get off the running lane, don't know where the parents were.

If I fell overtop one of them, we both would be in some serious injury.

They weave in and out, stop suddenly, veer off in another direction.

I'm old, I can't stop suddenly, without pulling a muscle.Sad

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Rich & Art - Active recovery is good.  It's good to move.

Chantilly - Another 6 and on the track!  Keep it up!

4.3 miles walking in 1:02:25.  Wore my heart monitor, it says I averaged 99bpm for the walk.  Walking to try and work the right achilles.  Icing the thing right now.  Might do a little treadmill tonight ... we'll see.  I guess I could do 3 miles Big grin

Ray

adkkev

10.25 miles around town early this evening, lots of hills along the way.  Pretty freakin' windy too!  But at least the sun was shining until it set ... I could feel the chillier air moving in, just as predicted.  Tuesday's high temp is only supposed to be in the mid-30s.  Yeah, April Fools, right?  Not funny.

Art in AZ

Another short 3 mile run after doing some core exercises this morning. Saw a couple of new people out today walking. Without making a too broad generalization it seems that most of the kids I see going to school are just grumpy in the morning. Whereas the older adults are friendly and have a smile on their face. Thinking back I wasn't happy going to school early in the morning either.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Tuesday

4/2/2013

No running today, cross trained instead.  2 sets of 12 reps of 10 different resistance band exercises, push-ups, sit-ups and planks.

Chantilly... what out for those kids, eh?  Nice run!

Ray... good luck with that Achilles

adkkev...awesome run!

Art... I wasn't too happy about going to school either.  In hindsight, I'd probably have a different attitude today...lol

adkkev

6.25 on the nature trail this evening ... I took this route tonight because the trees blocked the strong winds that we have been experiencing.  Fortunately most of the return route (it's an out & back) was with the wind at my back.

And we were greeted with about 2 inches of snow this morning.  Streets in town were a bit slick & the driving was slow until I reached the Thruway, then smooth sailing all the way to work.  Today's sunshine melted most of that snowfall, thankfully.

Art in AZ

5 mile run this morning. Didn't feel anything special about it. Felt both good and blah. Was surprised when I got back and looked at the clock and it showed 42 minutes.

adkkev - Hoping the snow you received is the last bit of winter and the weather only improves for you. Good use of the environment to protect from the wind.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday

4/3/2013

I started out on the railtrail with the intention of running 3, then turning for home for 6 total.  At about mile 2 3/4, the trail ahead was nothing but ice.   Soooo... with the last time I ran on ice still fresh in my mind and the fall I took, I turned and headed for home...lol

Gimme about 5.5 miles @ 10:30 pace.  The Weather Channel predicted wind gusts to 40 mph today and it was windy, but I don't think it blew that hard.  I actually ran the trail to escape the wind.  With a temp of 34 degrees, Old Man Winter is still hanging around, but we're supposed to warm into the 50's after today.  A heat wave... Roll eyes

Chantilly75

NH Runner  guess we can't trust April weather, either.

adkkev nice to have a wind block on some days

Art in AZ .....you know you're getting to be a senior when...... you are smiling early in the AM and saying "Hi" to everyone.Big grin

mcj001  that's a good walk, hope the Achilles feels better.

9 miles yesterday and 7 miles today on the track.

Some HS kids were there, running a mile.  Even though they all looked like they never normally run, they still beat my laps by quite a bit....

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Rich - Way to get the work in.   At least you get a real spring...

adkkev - racking up the mileage.  Cool.

Art - It doesn't cost anything to smile and say "Hi!".  I have to keep telling myself that Big grin

Chantilly - You're consistent and that's awesome!

4.6 miles in 40:16, 75F and mostly sunny.  Achilles is still tight and I've started doing my stretches again and lots of ice.  Yesterday turned into a rest day (too much going on at work).  Monday night wisely decided not to do the jog (did walk an additional 2 miles).  Lots of ice after the walk to dinner, corner grocery has food trucks on Mondays!

Found this picture last night and something about it struck me (does have my son in it...) Hopefully it shows upSon on Hill

if it displays as a broken link try opening in a new tab...

Ray

adkkev

SRD for me today ... I'm happy for that too 'cause the wind is still howling today.  That's three straight days of 20+ mph winds!!  And we did have a dusting of snow this morning.  Forecast says 50 by Saturday though!!  Big grin

Chantilly75

mcj001 can't see the picture, only a blue question mark.

12.5 miles done @ 6AM.  It helped that a marathon training group was there, and I did not want them to see me stop....

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday

4/4/2013

I tossed around 2 different runs today before settling on a VO2max workout.  I'd thought about an 8 miler with the 4 in the middle @ tempo, but we've got a good breeze out of the South today and that meant a lot of that run would have been into the wind.

So... I warmed for 2 miles, ran 15 sprints @ 30 seconds each with 30 second breaks between, then cooled for 2 miles.  The sprints were 130 yards long and took between 28 and 30 seconds.   Out of curiousity, I checked my pace and 28 seconds works out to a 6:19 pace, 29 seconds = 6:32 and 30 seconds = 6:45.   Not bad for an old phart...lol

Chantilly... you're logging some serious miles!