50 and over 5k and beyond

October 2016 Runs & Workouts (Read 8 times)

Art in AZ

Just so that I don't repeat last month's mistake, here starts the October runs.

3 easy miles as a sort of rest day before tomorrow. This will be a multi-tasking day. Doing house work, yard work (sprinkler repair, leaking before the valves so water was soaking the ground), and car work. Enough to keep me busy for the day.

AZ - I know you felt good after the run if you didn't feel any of your injuries. You have two weeks to get ready for the Cave Creek 10K.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Multi-tasking is a good way to keep in shape. Those temperatures are nicer for you to get outside. We have had some unseasonably warmer afternoons lately. 70's F.

az2mntrail Nice for you to get out with your group, even in the rain. Will you be able to see your MT about the lump/swelling?

9 miles.

2 hrs. weeding, raking, mowing. Back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 9/30... off

Saturday, 10/1...  8 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail today.   Kind of boring to keep doing these same workouts, but what's a guy  to do....

Art... I wondered if you'd keep posting in September's thread...lol     The pies came out good, especially the pumpkin, home grown is definitely better than the canned stuff.    You have to use pie pumpkins though.   Seems like you've got a race this weekend, if that's right, good luck!

Chantilly... I haven't seen the latest MacGyver.   It's funny how they keep re-making the old shows for the next generation, Hawaii 50 is another example.   I'm waiting for the next Gunsmoke...lol

az... no bake sale for this kid, I've only learned to cook the things I like and nothing gets wasted...lol

justrundan

4.5 Thursday & 6.5 Friday. Cross training yesterday cleaning gutters & trimming trees for DD&DSIL. Ladder works muscle I don't normally stress, feeling it today. 😕

Chantilly- nice steady runs for you. Good your weather is letting you finish your yard work.

Art-Take advantage of your 'cooler' weather when you can.

Rich-I'm with you on selling pies- I would never bake one I didn't like, and I like them so much I'd rather eat them.

Later yesterday DW family met @ her Mom's house for group BD celebration. Chocolate cake & apple crisp were both delicious, I can vouch for that personally. 😀

And today I'll be grilling chicken for the six of us when we celebrate my 63rd with the immediate family. I requested peach pie & DW is a fabulous pie baker!  Twist my arm. 😉

Dan

Art in AZ

Maggie's Place 15K report

Got up at 5:30 AM and got ready to leave. Checked outside and the temp was nice for running. Had breakfast and headed to the site. Sky was clear with the sun rising in the East. Looked to be a good morning. There were some clouds off in the distance to the West. Arrived at the Tempe Center for the Arts and found a place to park. Nice size crowd around the area. Besides the 15K I was running, there was also a 5K, 9K and 10K that were timed. Our race started and as we were headed out I noticed the clouds were closer and looked like they were rain clouds. Well maybe they will hold off, I hope, till later. Race was mostly around the Tempe Town Lake with a couple of places veering off a little to get the 15K distance.

Felt good running and found a comfortable pace running near the front of the pack. Lining up it seemed like no one really wanted to be at the beginning. It took about a mile before those I could see started to pull away and we sort of fell into our space. Passed the pier on the North side of the lake and there was another event of some kind going on there. Couldn't tell what it was but wondered if we would be sharing the trail. I could see the lead runners following the bicycle coming towards me so was near the turn around point. Figured I was somewhere between 15 - 20 in the race. Lost count trying to watch out the other runners, strollers, and bicyclists that were out this morning. Just past mile 5 I see water drops on the ground. And then it started raining at a decent pace for a couple of minutes before it started pouring. And with the rain came the cooler temps. And it rained varying intensities all the way to the end. The concrete got slick in a few spots and the areas that were packed gravel were now muddy. There was nowhere dry unless you stopped under one of the bridges. Which a few people did. I give a lot of credit to the volunteers that were out there with us in this. None of them brought rain gear either. Everyone was soaked and enjoying the situation.

Headed into the last mile and saw more runners as the different lengths now started converging. Saw the finish line up ahead and started running faster trying to past as many as I could. Didn't matter that they were in a different race, it still felt good. Crossed the finish line but didn't know time as there was no timing board. Figured I ran a good race and figured I would be lower than 1:20. But that was just a guess. So I got a water and found a dry place to rest for a few minutes. No sense going to the car and changing to dry clothes because they wouldn't be dry for very long. It was fun watching all the kids have a great time in the rain. They all had big smiles on their faces. I'm sure all the people that saw us running were going "What are those idiots doing out running in the rain?"

Finally decided to meander over to the timing tent and check my time. Of course I get there at the beginning so it has to go through the 5K and up races. Just before the end of the 10K results the results screen goes out. Figures I thought. The laptop got wet, because it's still raining, so a volunteer wiped the laptop and somehow caused the data cable to come loose and drop the signal. After resolving that the results start, from the beginning, again. Finally get to the 15K 60+ runners, why are we always the last? I see my name and a time of 1:08 something. All I can say is "No way". Something must be wrong. I've never done a 15K that fast. Fastest I did was a couple of years ago and that was a 1:16:59. I looked it up now that I am home.

After getting home and drying off, I wrapped myself in a blanket to warm up from the chill I still felt and woke up a couple of hours later. Must of been a little tired. Got on the computer and checked the results. My time was 1:08:21 and I was 17 overall. First in age group also. Funny thing is that during the rain I didn't think about running much just that it was just water, don't slip and hopefully the rain will stop soon.

Chantilly - Nice run. Those temps are still nice, even if you are working in the yard.

Rich - I agree that doing the same route gets boring, but like you said, "What else are we going to do?" There are only so many options near the house. I agree on eating what I bake. I saw a few bits of the new MacGyver. Didn't impress me.

Dan - nice runs and ladder work. I know exactly what you mean. And more pies. Yum.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 10/2... day off

Monday, 10/3... 9 mile tryke ride on the railtrail today.   Kids going crazy with their ATV's really tore up the trail over the weekend, making for a difficult ride, but a good workout.

Dan... I can see why you'd want to get those miles in on Thursday and Friday, knowing all the calories you'd be taking in during the BD celebration.  Good planning!    Seriously though, those were a couple of nice runs.    Happy Belated Birthday!

Art... what a race, eh?   You smoked the course!   Congrats on an excellent time!

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning in the cooler weather. Felt good running and didn't seem to experience effect from yesterday's race. I hope I can get this feeling again at the end of the month.

Rich - Too bad the tryke course was a little beat up because of the TVs. But like you said, it was good exercise. I still wonder about my time. Makes me want to do another 15K to see if I can actually do it again or if this time was just a fluke or a very good day running. Time to focus on the upcoming halfs.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Monday, 10/4... duplicated the railtrail workout I did the other day where I Nordic walked miles 1 and 3 and ran miles 2 and 4.    It's actually a good workout and something I'll probably expand on once my heel's behaving again.   Today it was a little "testy", but never felt like what I was doing was making matters worse.

Art... looking at a pace calculator, you ran 7:20's in the 15K.    That's an excellent pace over 9 miles, only in my dreams...lol    I usually have a pretty good idea how well I'm doing in a race, but have been surprised too.   And both ways, running too slow AND too fast...lol    At any rate, congrats again, you probably just had a good day....

NH Runner

Wednesday, 10/5... 10 mile mtn bike ride

Chantilly75

NH Runner Some harder workouts for you on the beaten-up rail trail. Aren't you getting anything from that hurricane system? We are up here.

Oh, yeah, Gunsmoke...and Wagon Train...20 Mule Team Borax...We are too old.LOL.

justrundan Happy B'day! Sounds like a good time! and good eating!

Art in Az Congratulations on your excellent 15 Km! What a great feeling for you at the end to see the time. I liked reading your RR.

32F here and snowing with wet accumulation. Good thing I keep my ice scraper in the trunk. 10 miles on the track.

Sonata Arctica

Hi everyone!

Art:  CONGRATS speedy!! Nice surprise to run faster than you thought and being 1st in AG, YAY!! Doesn't surprise me!  Great finish time and you are definitely ready for the upcoming halfs.

Dan:  HAPPY belated Birthday!! Those desserts didn't stay around too long, I'm sure.

Chantilly: My MT here concentrated on the tight muscles and boy, it was a 'good hurt'.  My run the next day was great!!  The change in environment is much more positive IMO.  What's your next event?

NH:  "Gunsmoke" HAHA!!  My dad and I loved watching Star Trek in black and white!!  Glad that you are 'rotating' running and riding the tryke, I was doing that for awhile, running/biking.  Somehow I end up running more than cycling.   Hope heel gets better.

So ran 4 miles last Thurs w/ group.  Rest Friday.  Then Volunteered ALL DAY at the Sky Running trail race on Saturday.  Was at Finish area for most of the day, 9500 ft.  Then rode ski lift to 11,500 ft from 3 pm till around 6:30 when last runner stopped at the aid station I was helping with.  We had to take a container back down by HIKING since chair lift closed at 4:30.  I had my head lamp and trail shoes w/ extra jacket and gloves.  It was in the 40s and dark when we made it down, took us 1.5 hours to hike just over 2 miles!!  Tired and hungry.  Went home.  Next day, my legs were screaming w/ muscle soreness and since I forgot to wear my knee support, knee/injury area was not a happy camper!! So glad I had my massage scheduled that day.  It helped tremondously but I think the soreness/aches were due to not staying hydrated.  Just kinda forgot with all the excitement of the event and runners.  It was such a beautiful day despite the occasional ran shower.  I really miss the mountains!!

So Rest on Sunday.

Monday: 4.2 miles on the trails near home, great hill training.  Knee/injury area felt good, took it easy.

Tuesday:  5.2 miles on different trail.  I don't remember the last time I ran on two consecutive days.  Took it easy, no hills, just short ups/downs.

Today:  rest day.  Knee/injury area feeling a bit sore.  R-I-C-E this morning.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail I guess we were posting at the same time. Sounds like you had a good time at the race and what a hike! Nice that the MT could help you out. I have no events so far, still looking.

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Tuesday was a rest day. Just some general exercises to loosen up.

Did a 9 mile run this morning. Part of the run is on sidewalk before getting to the canal again. The tree trimmers finally got most of the trees trimmed higher so I didn't have to duck. But they didn't do anything to the bushes further down that are overgrown into the sidewalk. Makes me want to take an axe to them. The bushes. I'm talking about the bushes.

Rich - Good couple of workouts. I went back and checked my times and I have ran in the 7s before. I just didn't expect to this race. Honestly I was shooting for a 1:15. So yes it was a good day.

Chantilly - Snow and cold. I would be at the track also. Or sitting in the heated house thinking about running.  I remember those early shows. I watched Timeless Monday night. A series about time travel. It was OK. Hopefully it gets better as I think it has potential exploring a lot of what ifs.

AZ - So you were "high" most of race day. Sorry, couldn't resist. Not only having a good time cheering on runners I'm sure the scenery was pretty good also. Bummer on having to walk down the mountain. I'm sure part of that soreness was from having to carry the container down and dealing with the extra weight and trying to keep your balance. Good short runs and rest before next weeks race.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

12 mile bike ride for a change of pace.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 10/6... 10 miles on Isabell today.   First 1/2 mile on the railtrail, then through town before heading up the road.    Riding the breakdown lane with traffic turning into driveways and side roads, it's important to stay alert.   Older woman drove up behind me this morning  on the opposite side of the road, then cut across right in front of me without ever looking.   Luckily, I'd noticed her and slowed up, but it's hard to think she never saw me, bright clothes and bright red flag flying high.

Chantilly... why do I think you live in the upper Midwest?    You've probably seen Hurricane Matthew's latest forecast that shows it going in a tight loop out over the Atlantic before getting to the Carolinas and heading back towards Florida, so no, I'm not getting any weather from it.     Are you?    And don't forget Dragnet, Twilight zone and Ozzie and Harriet...lol   We're not old, we're seasoned Veterans...   And as my sister likes to say, "I'm not fat, I'm stacked". lol   I can't believe you're dealing with snow already!   And that you didn't get out and run in it, make a snowman or have a snowball fight...

Art... yep, don't be taking an axe to the Tree Trimmers...lol  Nice couple of workouts there, good for you...

az... you always seem to enjoy yourself no matter what you're doing, so if running's working, why ride the bike.   I still consider myself a runner, even though I seem to be doing less and less of it lately...lol    Seems like you said a while ago that sitting might be behind the trouble you're having with your leg.   After reading that, I tried adding a cushion to the seat I use sitting at the computer, but it didn't make any difference.   The other day I switched to a seat firm enough that I'm sitting on my "sit bones" and it seems to be helping.    Just a thought...