50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2017 runs and workouts (Read 18 times)

Art in AZ

Happy New Year everyone!

No run today because there has been light rain or drizzle all day so far. Don't feel like getting wet in the cold weather. Otherwise just a laid back kind of day.

Ray - Congrats on making your goal. Are you planning for the same this year?

AZ - Did you get in a run today or did your cold do you in?

Rich - Nice weather for some skiing and having a friend along for company.

Chantilly - I did one of the Lost Dutchman races a few years ago. But right now I don't have any plans for a race yet.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

12/31/2016... 4 mile run today with walk breaks thrown in.  Overnight temp was 14 degrees, so I figured the railtrail would be frozen solid with good footing and it was.   My goal for Spring is to be running steady again, can't believe how out of shape I am as a runner right now...

1/1/2017... temp was 32 degrees this morning, just right for XC skiing and wearing insulated ski pants, shirt and wool sweater.   4 miles again on the railtrail with the occasional snowmobiler to interrupt the quiet, all in all a good workout.

Art... 'Spanky and our Gang' kind' a day, eh? lol   Those are the best kind sometimes,,,

justrundan

Happy New Year all!

Started the new year with a hike @ local state park with DW.   Footing was iffy so we didn't get as much in as we had hoped.

Good luck for a good start to the year.  Enjoy your runs and stay healthy!

Dan

HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR everyone!!

We stayed home last night since we are both not fully recovered from our bouts w/ head/sinus colds. Made fudge.  Finished another book.  Watched rest of "Breaking Bad" while DH watched "Homicide Hunter, Joe Kenda" and then bits of Griffin/Cooper for NYE's celebrations in NY.  New Year's Day is also our anniversary!!   DH surprised me w/ a Pandora bracelet!!   Stayed up till around 2 am!!   Family/friends called/texted all day.  We didn't go snowshoeing after all today.  Don't want a relapse and although it was SUNNY and hardly a breeze, it is still butt-freezing cold! Had a nice early dinner at home.  DH put in a couple of hours of snow removal on the driveway and changing oil in the shop. I'm going to start working out at the gym again starting tomorrow.  Will try some jog/walk for a 5-10 min.  Have PT session on Thurs.

NH:  nice you got in some XC ski workout.  How is DW doing?  What is her plan to be more active?

Dan:  hike in the park is always a great way to start the new year! Stay safe and warm!

Chantilly:  I've also run the Lost Dutchman a couple of times a few years ago.  I really love the location, scenery but it's too 'flat' for me even with the few gradual hills. Nice double runs!

Art: Thanks for starting the thread.  You deserve a day of rest anyway.  Stayed home today, see above.

Ray:  congrats on reaching your mileage goal, very impressive!!

Art in AZ

4 miles this morning. Still cloudy and cold along with that dampness feeling because of the cold. Prepped my run log for the coming year so I'm ready to go.

Rich - I don't know but I would think with all the other training you have been doing your running shape is probably better than you think.

Dan - Hiking is enjoying the outdoors at a slower pace.

AZ - Pretty soon the weather will change a I won't be so cold out. OK, maybe not that soon.  But when it does you will be ready for it.

Stay warm out there.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

easy 3.1 on TM today, then watched Badgers win Cotton Bowl! 

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to enter my goal for 2017 on my training log.  Can someone remind me?

Art- After all the heat you deal with do you like running in the cooler weather?

AZ- hope you feel better soon.  how is the knee/leg?  Are you getting a second opinion when you head south?

Rich-  I agree with Art, you have stayed very active, you will start up fine in the spring.

DW got teary eyed after printing a copy of her resignation/retirement letter today.  2016-17 will be her last year teaching!

Dan

justrundan

For some reason I was able to see how to update my goals to 2017 when I looked at it on my phone. 😬

You all have a great week.

Dan

Dan: I will be seeing a different ortho doc next week. He is one of the conservative ortho surgeons that DH knows on staff.  Have another PT session on Thurs.  I don't use any of the online gadgets for logging miles, I just type mine in on calendar so I would not have been any help.  Glad you figured it out, doc! Bitter sweet I'm sure for DW. It is always tough to say goodbye to a part of our lives that we spent many years 'growing' professionally. Go Badgers!! Good job on the TM miles!

Art: That would be nice 'ideal' running weather but it's all 'relative.'  Stay warm and dry!

DH and I went to gym yesterday.  He got in his swim.  I cycle first for 2 miles, then my first jog/walk for 15 min. 15 min weights, then finished w/ 15 min elliptical.  Jog/walk was good. Knee/calf injury area woke up but made it through.  Will be going again today.  SUNNY but windy and cold. The 'storm' wasn't too bad, about 4 inches of new snow.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 1/02/2017... 5 mile railtrail run today with walk breaks thrown in.   Footing was ok, but the last 3 days of running / skiing / running was apparently too much for my heel.   Didn't feel like it during the run, it swelled and got sore later in the day.

Wednesday, 1/03/2017... sooo... this morning I was at the local massage parlor getting a deep tissue massage on my sore leg.   Too early to tell how successful it was, but if pain is an indicator of success, I should be able to do back flips and tumbles in no time.   Qualifying for Boston should also be a piece of cake...lol  Seriously, my leg's apparently a mess, so I'm hopeful this works...

Edited to add this quick read about sore, tight muscles and crystalized lactic acid... http://www.petachenko.com/whytightmusclesareusuallysore.html

Dan... doggone gadgets anyway, eh?   At least you eventually got to enter your 2017 goals, success is always sweet, no matter how long it takes...lol   I can relate to DW getting emotional at the thought of retiring.   In no time at all though, she'll settle into her new routine and be just fine.

az... DW's walking in the house at the moment, the goal is 3 sessions of 10 minutes each per day at a brisk pace.    She's doing 2 at the moment, with an eye towards upping that soon.   She's also talking with a friend about doing walks outside this Spring when the weather improves, which is something they both need.    Your workouts seem to be going ok, would you say there's an improvement in your injured area since these latest treatments.   Meant to say HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and DH earlier, but forgot. 

Art... that cold damp air goes right through you doesn't it?   What's missing in my fitness is my ability to process oxygen, I've read your VO2Max goes away in a hurry when you stop running and that's what I'm finding.   When I pull up to walk during a run, it's to catch my breath.    It's the most frustrating part of getting hurt, regaining lost fitness...

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Good job for you to get out in the drizzle. Mitts don't help much when they get wet.

It must be a big change in temps for you.

NH Runner I would have thought that the rowing and skiing would help with lung fitness? I am a great believer in deep painful sports' massage.  My MT's have helped me a lot over the years. I hope they can help you out. Your wife is doing well with the walks.  Do you have a mall or big box store nearby?  Lots of seniors walk in these places in the winter.

justrundan Nice to get out for a hike.

az2mntrail Happy anniversary! πŸΎπŸ°πŸŽ‰ Hope you are doing ok with the treatments.

rmcj001 Congratulations on beating your goal for last year.  Hope this year will be good to you.

mkayc, gito57, adkkev,  wishing you the best in 2017.

Yesterday I had a bunch of house-related stuff to do after all that work, so didn't run.

Today, windchill -32F.

15 mile run on the track

30 minute walk.

Then walked up and down the aisles at a large home improvement store for 40 minutes just looking.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Art - I use the training log here on running ahead (maybe you're using it too), my Garmin automatically uploads my runs and I've got 4 years of data stored here. Back when we were on cool running, used their log tools to track things. I believe the tools here are better, but I still have a couple of years of spreadsheets exported from cool running...No plans to set a goal for this year (well, other then 2000 miles). After my injury in August it was too much about reaching the goal. I can be goal oriented and it should be more about the  real reasons.

Az - Happy anniversary!!! Nice workouts to start the year. Hope the PT goes well. DH has my admiration for swimming - something I've never felt comfortable doing...

Dan - TM is too much fun, but can beat running in in-climate weather!  Like the hikes you've been doing too! DW and I with another docent led 12 mile hikes on 31st and 1st. Definitely a nice way to end/start the year (this is the 2nd year we've done this). Glad you found how to set your goal for 2017, I deleted mine 

Rich - think you might be a little off on your dates or days of the week... Sorry, that the heel is still acting up.  Sounds like DW has a plan to move forward, help here stick with it.

Chantilly - 15 miles!  And on the track! Gotta admire the stick with it that requires. Walking the aisles of home depot? That would work.  DW and I usually do Costco when we want to get steps in 

4 miles on 1st at a leisurely pace and then nothing on Monday the 2nd. Tuesday 8.1 on TM (or is that DM?) watching "Tremors".  Will finish the movie for tonight's TM session.

Ray

NH Runner

Thursday, 1/5/2017... took yesterday off.   Tuesday's deep tissue massage worked great, but wasn't enough to cure the problem with my heel, at least not yet.   Improved circulation to the area did bring down the swelling and inflammation though, enough so I decided to try a run this morning on the railtrail.   Everything felt good at first, but within a half mile I knew it was time to turn back, my heel was starting to hurt.    No harm, no foul, I'll go back for a follow-up massage in a few days and take it from there.

I'm sold on deep tissue massage though, tight muscles reduce blood flow and that in turn can cause lactic acid to build up.  The longer the condition, the worse things get.    A Therapist will break up knotted muscles and get circulation flowing again, just what I've needed.

Chantilly... I know some people push hard enough riding a bike to improve their VO2Max, but I don't ride that way, so in my case, nothing works my lungs like an up tempo run.    My over-all fitness is ok, but the business of getting oxygen to the muscles during a workout isn't what it was.  Nice run on the track yesterday.

Ray... congratulations spotting my calendar mishap.   I'll leave it up so others can see what they missed.   I actually did that on purpose to see if anyone was paying attention...   You get the 'Mr. Picky' award...   What, you mean there's a pace other the 'leisurely'?   I can't remember...lol

Chantilly75

rmcj001 I think watching Tremors on the treadmill would be kinda shaky..are those giant worms under the house? It would be something if you had surround-sound also. Nice of your wife and you to lead the groups.

NH Runner I hope you can find the right treatment for your heel. ... Rome wasn't built in a day, etc. etc.

10 mile run

50 minute walk.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Ray:  good to hear from you! DS and I love Tremors!! Cracks me up. I'm not at all surprised that you reached your goal so it would be interesting what you have for this year.......staying injury-free would be the goal for me.  The hikes sounds so amazing, what a great way to end and start the new year!! Kudos to DW!! CA has been getting some much needed moisture!! yay!

NH:  bummer on the ongoing issue w/ the heel. Hope the deep massage fosters the healing.  Can't find a good MT here in MN but I swear I have the world's greatest in northern AZ.  Can't wait to see her again in Feb.  What do you think it is?  Did you have a doc/ortho do diagnose it? Maybe a podiatrist?  How is DW doing?

Chantilly:  WTG on the mileage miles!! I need to walk the isles of Home Depot and Menard's just for some exercise indoors in these freezing temps!! Cons: finding stuff to buy for the house!

Art: What upcoming race do you have scheduled?  I am so looking forward to my AZ trip. Looks like I will be there for about 2 months, the AZ dental convention will be coming up in early April so..........need the CEs to renew my license.....and prolong my visit w/ the GDs!!

Had my PT session this morning.  Haven't seen him since 12/22 due to my crummy once-in-5-yrs head/sinus cold. Calf exercises tired me out, WHAT?!?   Then 3 sites of dry-needling.  Last one was a dousy!! on lower calf injury site. Feels like an impending 'cramp' ......a knot.....but it disperses in time.  OMGoodness!! Went to gym:  20 min elliptical, jog/walk 20 min, 20 min weights, 10 min cycle and finished w/ some stretching.  Felt good.  Got home and had heat pad on area on and off for about 30 min.  DH wanted to have dinner out so just returned and heat pad again. It is so freaking cold out there, Sunny most of the morning, light breeze, but overcast later in the day, about -8 degrees now!! BRRRR!!

NH Runner

The bike trainer I ordered arrived today, so I assembled the thing, attached the mtn bike to it and rode for 30 minutes.   About as exciting as watching paint dry, but worked to get in a different kind of workout for this time of year.   The idea behind buying it was to modify it so I could ride the trike, but now I'm not sure I want to deal with it, I'll probably just wait for better weather.

az... the MT's actually my niece, owns the business and has been at it for 15 years.   She's helped my right leg a lot, I knew it was 'out of whack' but was surprised just how bad it was.   The chronic ache in my hamstring is gone, as is the inflammation in my heel.   There's still some healing in there that needs to take place and I'm thinking the improved blood flow since the massage should speed things along.    As far as diagnosis, the swelling's in the Bursa located at the back of the heel.   I suppose the medical term is Achilles Bursitis and my tight hamstring's been aggravating it for quite a while now.    I'll call my niece tomorrow and schedule a follow up visit, then take it from there.    Hey, not a bad gym workout, eh?   20 minute walk / jog thrown in must have felt good...