50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2015 runs and workouts (Read 8 times)

HAPPY SEPTEMBER everyone!!  Can you believe another month passed by?

So I started my week with a 6 miler on Sunday with my trail running buddy.

Took rest day on Monday after running 3 days in a row!  Quick addition shows August miles:  135.1  Smile

Today, up early to get my long run in, 16 miles.  Had 1/2 banana and drank half of a Powerade as I drove to state paved bike trail.  Wore my Ultraspire hydration vest for the first time.  One bottle with water, other bottle with HEED.  No gels but had salt tabs and a couple of sport beans.  It was about 65 degrees, 45% humidity, and NO breeze!!  No clouds.  Early miles were in the shade of the trees as the sun is rising quickly along the paved trail.  Took 1 minute walk break every 2 miles.  Took 1 salt tab every 3 miles with water and a sip of HEED in between.  At 5 miles, reached the actual state park where the trail is mostly under shaded trees from both sides for the next 5 miles, about 3 of them on dirt trails with a couple of decent hills.  Mile 10, I headed back, took in 1 sport bean (dissolves slowly).  Still had plenty of water and HEED.  Once out of the actual state park, not much shade as the sun has risen more overhead.  Still felt good, poured water on head and neck after mile 13.  Pace is slower but picked it up the last mile.  Actually finished 16.5 miles!! YAY!!  I am very pleased with my hydration vest, still need to work on which pocket to store whatever but it was snug and stayed on my back, feels lightweight, not cumbersome, has enough ventilation throughout and storage kept things in place.  On drive back, saw the time and temperature sin at university, it's 91 degrees!!! My car showed outside temp as 89 degrees!!  Same difference.    Humidity didn't change much.  Got home and couldn't wait to drink an ICY COLD smoothie.  YUMMY!!

Art:  watched evening news and boy, you all had a spectacular storm!!  And flooding .....again!!  Glad you and GS made it home safely.  We have a generator in our AZ home and have only used it once, thankfully but power outages are pretty common with such incredible storms.

Chantilly:  I forget to post in correct month .....for days ......but I saw your post.  Yeah, the sunny days aren't hazy anymore here either.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/1... 2 mile railtrail walk with Sim, basically a day off.

Wednesday, 9/2... 8 miles this morning, ran early to beat the heat.    First mile easy warm-up on the railtrail, bailed off the railtrail after 2 and ran the next 6 on pavement.    Even managed to run through my favorite covered bridge... lol   11:37, 9:17, 9:11, 8:24, 8:29, 8:23, 8:26 and 8:36.     Latest form change is working great, the only thing that's gonna get hurt on me from now on is my feelings... lol

az... great run yesterday!   Sounds like the new hydration vest's a winner, good for you...

Chantilly75

az2mntrail I forgot to make a new month.

Very nice run for you and a good practise with the vest. It sounds good, no riding up and lots of pockets. It must have warmed up fast while you were out and about.

NH Runner You kept speeding up for those 8 and you felt good with them?  That is good to hear. Longish walk there for Sim…must have taken awhile with all the sniffing and snuffling dogs do. 

7 miles, felt ok. HM is on the 13th.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Monday was a rest day because of work.

5 miles Tuesday to start the month.

8 miles today. Still feel the moisture in the air because of these late monsoon storms.

They are actually predicting the weather to be cooler this week. With mornings finally in the upper 70s.

Signed up for the Haunted Half here on Oct. 31. I sure hope the weather will be cooler by then. And will be doing the Mesa Turkey Trot again on Thanksgiving morning. I'm hoping to set a PR this time. Have come close the past couple of years but no cigar.

Chantilly - The long run felt good except for those last couple of miles. I'm just curious on this. Have you thought of using weed killer on those dandelions? I ask because I use to pull them manually but they were so prolific I finally used some weed keeper to keep them in check.

Rich - Sounds like you are real close to being back in good running shape with the runs you've had lately. Good job.

AZ - Nice 16+ miler there. And no issues with the hydration pack. That should be a relief going forward. Now you need to fine tune the fueling options.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH:  whatever you have been doing is getting some awesome results on your splits, wow!!  Great run there!!  Sim needs his outlet too .

Chantilly:  Do you feel ready for your upcoming HM?  Which HM are you running?

Art:  You are more than ready for you OCT HM with your consistent training runs despite the heat.  Yeah, I hope OCT will be 'cooler.'

I couldn't wait to get my shake out run this morning.  It's a good feeling to look forward to these short runs after a long run to relieve and loosen mild stiffness of muscles.  Drove to university gym.  5 min on elliptical.  Great tempo 4.2 miles on TM on rolling hills program.  Then 2 miles on mini-track.  Post-run lunges, side squats, knee-kicks, etc. for another 1/2 mile.  Good workout!  Temps on the rise for rest of the week, whew!!

rmcj001

Guess age is getting to me - thought I sent a message on Monday, but apparently not 

Chantilly - VFFs almost exclusively, exceptions are heavy duty trail runs - then I use a pair of NB Minimus,  Got my new pair of VFF Evo's (yellow this time), but haven't worn them yet.  Was that really a 1 mile run on the 1st?  Solid run today!

NHRich - Those splits are looking like the old Rich.  Keep it up!

Art - Some good long runs you're getting in there!  Does it usually rain in August there?  We got the barest dusting of drizzle on Saturday and tho it was supposed to cool down significantly, it felt almost as warm because of the increased humidity.  80F Today and yesterday, so we're a bit cooler here now.

Az - Hydration pack and a 14 miler - can life get any better?  Well, yeah, still - sound pretty good to me!

Dan - Which shoes did you go with?  Fast or slow, the main thing is to get those miles in!  Keep it up!

Ran late Saturday on TM 2 sets of  walk/run.  1 at 2.5 miles and the 2nd with 2 miles.  Energy was low and didn't feel much like running. Sunday turned into a rest day with a 6 mile night hike.  Guess it is the start of tarantula mating season 'cuz we saw multiple mail out looking for females.  Awesome sunset and a blood red moon rise.

Monday, 8/31, easy 7.8 miles - felt better, but kept it fairly slow.

Tuesday, 9/1, originally was going to keep this an easy run, but felt better as run progressed and the garmin recorded the last 5k in 24:20. 8.8 total miles.

Wed, 9/2, easy 8.6 miles.

Ray

Art in AZ

3 easy miles this morning under partly cloudy skies and a little breezy. Felt a tad cooler at times.

AZ - Nice workout after the long run.

Ray - Nice solid consistent runs for you there. One of the park areas near here has an evening hike where you are able to see different things. I haven't done it yet but it's on my list of things to do sometime. Yes, we usually get some rain in August. But for some reason the past storms seem to be more frequent and vicious then I remember in a long time. Or it could be an age thing.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ All that running in the heat this summer should help you with your fall races, from what I've read. Have you been able to plant anything else or is it too hot, still?

I have tried to do without weed killer for the past 3 years, but the weeds are out of control, so I will have to get weed killer next year.

az2mntrail Nice workouts indoors.

The HM is part of  a local marathon and this is my 15th year participating in it.  (11 FM distance and 4 HM)

If you would like to read about trails/ultras there is a good website  www.ultrarunning.com  They have race reports and give elevation and difficulty levels for races on their calendar section.(I look for race ideas there….so I know which ones to avoid… 

rmcj001 Some nice runs for you.  Must be feeling better.  Didn't know SF area had tarantulas...

12 miles at 6 AM on the track

5 miles at 2 PM outside. 74F and sunny.

Made butterscotch brownies.

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

AZ- Wow, nice August miles, esp. in the heat/humidity of the upper mid-west last month.

A tri-athlete friend of mine sent me this web site for an interesting HM   www.saultmarathon.com

Goes from Sault Ste Marie MI across bridge into Canada, along the waterway there, and back.  I wonder if you have to stop and get your passport checked?   Maybe after DW retires and it's easier to travel in September.

Rae- I bought 2 pair of the Ghost 7 to alternate on my runs.  They feel good so far.

Chantilly- nice miles yesterday.  and that sounds like my kind of post-run snack! 

Off work next 4 days, hope to get some consistent runs.  Still just taking it easy.  it will remain hot/humid until early next week, then cooler temps for a while.

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!

Dan

Chantilly75

justrundan Hope you can get in some runs on your days off.

There are 2 other cross-border races that I know about.  The Detroit Free Press marathon starts in Detroit and goes  through the tunnel under the St. Clair River to Windsor, ONT. and back to MI over the Ambassador Bridge. Each runner gets an official "underwater" mile result in this race.

The other one is in Niagara Falls, ONT. and goes across the bridge to the USA and back.  Cross border races require passports to be shown at the border. The entrants names are sent to the Department of Homeland security, and there is a time limit to be across the border.

…I remember the olden days, when they waved us through the border crossing, not even asking for any ID.  Totally a new world we live in.

7 miles on the track.  More rain today and back to work.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/3... 2 mile railtrail walk with Sim early, then an easy paced 6 mile mtn bike ride later in the day.    Both meant to help with recovery...

Friday, 9/4... 8 miles today, 1st mile easy paced warm-up, then 7 on the highway over Hill and Dale.   If you don't know what a Dale is, (I didn't) it's an open valley...   I struggled with being a little stiff the whole way, but ended up with a decent workout... 12:39, 9:04, 8:37, 9:01,(hill) 8:56,(another hill) 8:32, 8:38 and 8:45.

Chantilly... nice mileage your last 2 posts!   Yes, Wednesday's run went well, now if I can build on it without going backwards...lol   And yes, patience is a virtue when Sim's out for a walk, lots of stuff needs "watering" along the way...

Art... nice mileage for you as well.   You'll be ready for the Haunted Half next month, your mileage has been steady for quite a while now.    I'm eyeing a half in late September that'll give me another 3 weeks to get ready, should to be good to go by then.

az...  thanks!  When you do a shake out run, it's short, but up tempo?    My long runs aren't that long yet, but a shake out run might relieve some of the stiffness 'til I get in better shape.

Ray... you're gaining!    Slow and steady keeps you in the game 'til you're back to 100%.    Nice mileage BTW...

NH:  Yes, my 'shake out run' is short but tempo is up just enough for 'effort' pace.  Instead of 'walk breaks,' I 'jog' for about 30 secs between miles. When on TM, I run the rolling hills program.  I usually take a rest day the day after but every now and then, I will go for an easy short run making it three days in a row.  I'm hoping to run 5 days/week as much as possible for my next 50k in Oct. Just 'time on feet' and more on mtn trails when we get back to northern AZ.  You are progressing very well, those split times are looking great!

Chantilly:  Thanks for the website for ultra-running, been lurking on some of them.  The Detroit free press marathon looks inviting!! I am hoping to get some 'across the border and back' races in before moving back to the SW.  Looked at some races in Winnipeg which isn't too far from here.  Good job on the mileage there!!  How is the sciatic issue?

Art:  are you going to wear a costume for the Oct. 31st HM?  I try to run on Thanksgiving day as well where the fee goes to local soup kitchens or feed those who may not be so fortunate.  That always makes me sad.

Ray:  those miles are looking awesome!! Glad you are healing and back to running back to back.

Dan:  when DW retires, are you retiring too?  Looks like you are getting back to some consistency.  HM is coming up fast, right?

adkkev:  where are you?  Hope all is well.

I looked up the Chamber of Commerce to see what is happening over the weekend and saw that there is a 5k/10k/25k run on the paved bike trail!!  It's sponsored by the university!! Been going there all this time to workout and no publicity for the race!!  Only $25 for any distance!!  Can you believe that?!? VERY tempting but thought it through and NO, I don't need to pound my feet on pavement for 15.5 miles when I have access to grassy/dirt trail.  We had quite a thunderstorm last night, rained off and on throughout the night.  So got to my trail at 8 am this morning.  It's 78 degrees, 80% humidity, 9 mph wind, overcast, MUGGY!! Ran 4.5 miles on paved trail, then 7 miles on grassy/dirt trail with decent inclines.  Finished total of 12 miles, YAY!!  It was 84 degrees when I was done!! WHEW!!

NH Runner

Saturday, 9/5... 3 mile recovery run on the railtrail.    Still experimenting with ways to recover quicker and this seemed to help, here's an interesting read concerning this type of run... http://www.active.com/running/articles/a-fresh-perspective-on-recovery-runs

az... thanks for the "shake out run" info, it sounds a lot like the goal of a recovery run, doesn't it? lol   I just ran at an easy pace yesterday, pretty sore at first, but by the end of 3 miles feeling good.     Nice run yesterday!    The railtrail I run is a nice break from pavement and direct sunlight, but there's the lousy footing and speed crazy ATV'ers to contend with as well, so there's always a trade-off.    I actually like the footing on pavement for it's consistency and when you see me running at a quicker pace, it's always on the road.

I hope this link works, this is a MUST watch...   https://www.facebook.com/erwin.gys/videos/266977843441308/?fref=nf

Art in AZ

6 miles Friday morning. It was actually cool out. Well relatively speaking. It was 75 degrees when I started. Felt nice. Due to the rain and cloud cover.

10 miles Saturday morning. Back to the warmer mornings at it was 82 degrees when I left. Then spent several hours fixing one of the patio covers with new roll roofing. Damage done last weekend when that storm ripped through the area.

Bagel run bike ride of 22 miles. Cut out the second hill and 6 miles. Got a late start and it felt hot out. Bagel place changed from last visit a few weeks ago. Moved the bagels to a smaller area and replaced it with ice cream. There was the normal selection of bagels either. Got home and might know why. The bagels weren't very good. Almost bordering on hard and overcooked. Not good like usual. Wonder what's going on.

Chantilly - A couple of good days running there. One of them a double! Nothing else in the garden yet. Worked a little in it this morning but stopped. Was hot and sweaty. Hopefully I'll get a few more things started tomorrow.

Dan - Hope you're able to get those runs in.

Rich - See you are having consistent runs there. Maybe you'll get to the race later this month? That article on recovery runs was interesting.

AZ - Running in muggy weather is taxing. The weather will be a lot nicer for your race. I'm not sure on a costume yet. Trying to think of something depending on if any family show up.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Art - Nice runs and bagel ride!  If you do go on a night hike, I would suggest you get UV flashlight and you can look for one of these:

Scorpian

Dan - Nice kicks!  Hope you are able to get all the runs in while you are off work.

Chantilly - Most spiders are hermits and tarantulas don't come out too often, but during mating season, well it is a treat to see them out and about during evening hours.  Butterscotch brownies - the lady who organizes our local Monday night food truck outings sells them (and other desserts).  DW usually gets me a couple...Like the runs and doubles and work you're getting in.

Az - Yes, things are starting to feel much better and the tentativeness is fading fast. Been reading Meb's running book and he talks about setting goals.  Part of that is picking races and how to set them up to achieve stated goals.  Also, the main thing is to tell someone what your goals are to keep you accountable.  Some nice mileage you're getting in.

NHRich - Interesting take on the recovery run.  It's inline with the Hanson philosophy.  It fits in nicely with the progressive/progression runs as well. You rounding into shape.  Gotta feel good!

Thu, 9/3, got out of the gate at a good clip and mostly sped up from there.  7 miles with temps mid 70s and averaged under 8mpm.  Felt good to kick it out a bit and convinced me to shoot for a labor day race.

Fri, 9/4, 10.3 slowish miles - not sure about my sanity, followed it up with a 5 miles walk at the dish with DW and DS2.

Sat, 9/5, Zoom Point Pinole 10K - this was meant to be a "shake out" race, kind of figure out where I'm at and hard I can push myself. Opted for the 10K 'cuz DW was talking about doing the 1/2 marathon and talked her into the 10K so as not to overstress her toe. Goal was to get it under 50 minutes (the distance is actually 1/2 the 1/2 - so 6.5 miles). DW made me move toward front of the crowd at start and I guess it's good that no one tripped and was able to clear the initial jam up. The course is an "8" where there are two loops and you run the middle of the eight twice. I ran pretty well and finished 7th OA, but only 3rd in AG in 48:53.  DW finished in under an hour, which was good for 2nd in her AG.  I was happy with the overall time, a bit disappointed 'cuz mile 6, and 3, includes a fairly long uphill and split went to 8:01 and I was trying to keep things under 8 - very minor disappointment.

Sun, 9/6, 7 mile hike up in the hills so DW could show us a carcass that she wasn't sure of - opossum.  DS1 and DW wanted dinner, so did a quick progressive 3.3 miles on TM.  Started at 10mpm and finished last .3 miles at 6:44 pace.  Figure I need to get a little faster speed work in over the next couple of weeks in prep for 5K at end of month.

Ray