50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 6/23/13 (Read 8 times)

rmcj001

3+ miles walking yesterday.  5 miles in 43:30 at lunch.  Took awhile to get loose.

Chantilly - Nice distance and on the track...We've run shorter races together.  Normally he'll stay with me for about 1/2 the race and then jet.  I think he set his PR in the 5K that way and pulled me to a PR (over 50) too.  I was hoping we would both finish closer to 3:50, which would have been PRs for both of us.  I beat my previous PR (3:59+ in 1985) so I got it half right.  Fueling was an issue that affected DS more.

Ray

adkkev

Pretty quiet around these parts lately ... whatcha'll doing??  Big grin

Ran a few times while on vacation ... a 4 miler, a 4.5 miler, and then a 5k (the "Mosquito Meander") on Saturday the 15th before heading home that evening on our long plane ride(s).  Also got some hiking in ... climbed half way up Mt. Marathon in Seward before being stopped by the remaining snow fields.  July 4th is the date of the crazy race up & down this 3000 foot mtn & I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to try it.  We had some of the most awesome weather we've ever experienced during our vacation ... whoda thunk that you could be 160 miles south of the arctic circle & bake in 80 degree temps & get a tan?  And tanning ain't easy for this white irish guy ...

Since returning home:

Monday - 5.25 miles around town

Tuesday - 7.5 miles around town

NH Runner

Yup adkkev, it was starting to look like a ghost town in here, thought this little group was about to disband.  Sounds like you had an enjoyable vacation, even if it was in Arizona type weather...lol

Ray, congratulations on a well run marathon, setting a PR on a difficult course says a lot about your training and preparation.  Was that your son's first marathon?  I'm very familair with "hitting the wall", hopefully he'll have a better run next time.  If you don't mind, what training program did you follow?

Chantilly, you're a machine, congrats on that 12 miler!

Monday 6/17, was a rest day for me.

Tuesday 6/18... 7 miles on the highway with 2 mile warm up, 4 @ tempo and 1 mile cool down.

wednesday 6/19... 5 miles on the railtrail at an easy pace.

Everyone's heard of the Shakers, right?  http://www.shakermuseum.org/   The town this museum is in puts on the "Shaker 7" road race each year and it's this weekend.  I'm headed up to run it, hopefully I won't get pulled over for speeding during the race...Roll eyes

Chantilly75

rmcj001  It is nice to be able to share the race experience with your son.

adkkev sounds like you had a very nice vacation.

NH Runner I know a little about the Shakers, and have seen some of their furniture. Good luck on your race.

7 miles yesterday

4 miles today plus 2 miles walking.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 6/20

One mile warm up, 4 x's 400's in 1:48, 1:47, 1:46 and 1:46 with a 90 second break between, one mile cool down.  Pace was just over 7 minute mile...

Chantilly75

NH Runner that looks like a strong w/o.

4 miles on the track.

Have to get going here, have a 50 K in late summer, then the usual fall marathon.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Chantily...I like to run some quicker paced stuff once or twice a week, either in form of intervals like today, or a tempo run.  I kept today's workout short to stay fresh for Sunday's race and tomorrow will be a day off.

Good luck gearing up for your fall races, I'm still up in the air about a fall marathon, but need to decide soon...

adkkev

8.6 miles around town this evening ... it was a beautiful evening for a run!!

rmcj001

NH -  Like the interval work you're doing.  Son has done at least 3 with a PR of 3:55.

adkkev - sounds like a good run.

Chantilly - That's a big commitment. Good luck!

With nothing scheduled at the moment and no plans just went out and had fun on my run today.  Racing kids on bikes and talking to scavenge hunters (looked like time was part of there adventure) while passing them up.  5 miles 38:38.  Feel mostly recovered from Sunday.  Need to figure out what's next...

Ray

Chantilly75

adkkev evening runs are relaxing

NH Runner have a good rest before your race

rmcj001 sounds like a nice no-pressure run

4 miles run plus 1 mile walk.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

4.5 mile walk with my wife this morning ... 7.4 mile run around town this evening (while she's at work).  Another beautiful day!!

NH Runner

Friday, 6/21... cross trained on the mtn bike, 8 miles easy on the railtrail.  No running.

Saturday, 6/22... 2 miles to stay loose.  Splits were 9:17 and 8:50

It looks like lousy weather's moving in just in time for tomorrow's race, humid with a temp close to 90.  Seems like I just went through this... Roll eyes

Chantilly75

NH Runner  is it usually that hot in June?

66F here this AM.

14 miles @ pace of 10-11 min. per mile.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Chantilly ... I believe the hot & humid weather has gotten to us folks in the NE a little earlier than usual this year ... more like late July & August weather!

As for me today ... 9 miles of hiking doing trail work on my adopted section of the NPT.  It was pretty humid in a few places where the vegetation was pretty thick.  Fortunately I caught a break with the bugs ... no mosquitos and no black flies today, just some chigger/gnatty things that swarmed my legs (but didn't bite) when I stopped at Rock Lake.

NH Runner

Chantilly...  up in this neck of the woods our weather changes with the Jet Stream.  If it's bringing our air down out of Canada, we'll be cool and dry this time of year, if it's dipping low and bringing our air up from the South, we'll be hot and humid.

We weren't that hot this morning for the Shaker 7, but the humidity was up.  I had a good run, just not as fast as I'd hoped.  1:02:45, or an 8:57 pace.  Tough course and a great workout!   Plus I had fun... lol