50 and over 5k and beyond

April 2018 Runs, Races, Whatever... (Read 10 times)

rmcj001

I guess I'm starting the thread this month...

Quick drive by -- will respond later

8.1 miles on another warm sunny day here in the West. Too bad they were on the treadmill...

March was a good month, sort of, got my first 200 mile month of the year and made a big dent in catching up to the pace bunny. We got a bunch of rain so things aren't looking quite as dire around here. Only 1 race, a slightly slower then expected 10K, but it was threatening rain that day and no one showed up -- so placement wise it didn't look so bad .

Ray

Hello Ray! Nice that your area is getting some moisture but those landslides are scary in some areas. Congrats on the 10k, Don't you love small races!!  WOW, nice mileage month!  I should keep up with my monthly miles.  Lately, I just run the miles. So what's next for you? and DW? Is she still on HM/month streak?  The Golden Gate trail marathon and ultra is tempting, July 7th.  Thinking about it.

So, everyone,Happy April!! Looks like the midwest, east coast is feeling any Spring yet.  It won't be nice to rave about my weather so I won't.

I posted my RR of the Bataan Memorial Death March marathon from March 25 ........... on last day of March!

Did run 10 miles on Friday.  Taped my healing blisters on big toes, and it went fine.  Rest on Sat.  Was going to run  6 on Sunday (yesterday) but a nagging muscle tightness below right hip area was telling me to rest so I did.

Today:  8 easy mile on trail.

Spent yesterday watching the exciting NCAA women's final between Notre Dame and MS state!! OMG, it was an incredible second half, right to the last second!!  So glad it didn't go into OT, that would have been unreal!! Notre Dame just had a similar last second basket at the buzzer against UConn on Friday!! In OT!! Holy Moly  Both of the women's semi final games went into OT.  Love these type of games, no matter the teams.  Hope the men's final game today is another white-knuckle thriller!!

NH Runner

Monday, 4/2... quick check-in.  The cold I picked up last weekend while out shopping kicked my butt the last few days.   Didn't run yesterday or today and still not feeling that great, so taking it one day at a time.

Ray... good to see you post again.  I probably don't have to remind you Boston's coming up, can't wait to see how our elites do this year!   Nice mileage last month!

az... what a grueling race, eh?  My big toes hurt just reading your report! lol  At any rate, congratulations on the finish, nicely done!

Art in AZ

6 miles Saturday morning trying to stretch the miles out some. Worked on the bath some more then Easter mass and then dinner.

Took Sunday off because of family events.

Another quick 3 miles around the neighborhood this morning.

AZ - Nice report. Sorry to hear that you got blisters. Nothing yet on the Pine race. I may not plan anything until Fall.

Ray - Funny when you say you had a 200 mile month and still haven't caught the pace bunny yet.

Rich - I'm with you on having to deal with sick people at work. Stay home and heal already. Though I know some can't afford the time off.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

az - Great race report! I had to look up what the Bataan death march was, how cruel us humans can be. I guess that a 65 mile march would be a truer tribute. Why were you in the honorary category? Did you have someone in your family who served in the Philippines? Interesting that there were so many marchers, it must have taken them all day to finish. I don't understand why in such a big event with thousands of participants they don't have helpers along the trail to point out the correct paths.Do you usually get blisters when running trails? I apply some coconut oil between my toes before running to prevent that. As far as that trail race I was thinking of I just checked the website. It is limited to 250 runners and is filled and already there were 122 people on the waiting list for any openings coming up if there are cancelations. I don't think I can get in at this time. It may be best to try and practice some trails on my own.I am not too worried about a DNF, I am confident about the distance as long as I can walk the more difficult sections or walk when I need a break from running. Another 50k come up in October, it would be just a week after my marathon though! That one is very nearby and would not take much traveling to get to. Unlike you and Ray I don't do very many races. Good easy 8 mile recovery run!

Will continue at another time, going out for a quick run and then have to attend a "Fire Safety" class before my regular work.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 4/3... with rain / snow forecast for later today, I decided to try a short run on the trail this morning.   The congestion I've been dealing with from the cold had eased up, so I grabbed the Yaktrax and headed for the trail.   There's short sections of the trail that are dirt, but for the most part it's still packed snow and ice.   Anyway, my lungs were a little tight early on and I just pulled up and walked when the need arose, 4 miles total, it was nice to just get out and go through the motions of a run.   I've since noticed my lungs have cleared out even more since this morning, here's hoping that trend continues.   And if you haven't seen this kid run, this will be a treat, a high school sophomore setting the national 5K indoor record.  Amazing how the good ones make it look so easy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCtnx6Jonkk

Art... you do a good job getting your miles in most days, nice.  Time spent with family around the holidays is special, isn't it?   And yeah, I couldn't believe the woman working the register the other day while DW and I were out shopping, coughing hard and into her hands, I wonder how many people she gifted with the same cold I got...lol  I doesn't appear to last long, but was pretty intense for a couple of days...

Rich:  such a bummer to have colds limit your running days but glad that you are on the mend.  Our bodies will respond well to activities it is use to prior to getting sick, granted we take it easy and can foster in quicker recovery as well.  I feel for you all having to still deal with the winter snows.

Altair:  I had/have family in the military but not in the Bataan death march.  I was in the honorary category because no one could tell us where I was suppose to be even tho' it showed in the booklet, but I wasn't the only one.  Many of the 'runners' were in the honorary corral anyway and in the end, it really didn't matter.  I will try the coconut oil and then tape my toes.  I've become more prone to it the more and LONGER distance I run dirt trails especially when it's more sandy/loose dirt and warmer than I'm use to.  It's the friction that causes it obviously and even tho' I wear Injini socks, I still get some degree of blisters.  The ones in Bataan was the most painful, and wider area.  It really did feel worse than it looked.  I still think you should run a few 25ks, 30ks before you tackle a 50k.  And there are some races that have a generous cut off time.  And what's with the self-fulfilling prophesy of a possible DNF .......as long as you give yourself enough time to train, you'll finish upright, and yes, you will walk, everyone does.  But some of the aid stations are awesome buffets!! 

Art:  even those 3 milers are nice to get in!  When you are sweating buckets in June, you may just head up here and run the Extreme Pine!    I'll be in Phoenix next week, staying with DD, while I attend the dental conference in Glendale.  Hope to get in some runs, maybe a group run with the Aravaipa Running.

Dan:  hope you're staying warm and safe on those winter roads.

Ran 8 easy miles yesterday.  Right side, below hip (along side of thigh) is nagging me, feels tight and been doing stretches, foam rolling, massages.  Could feel it on my run but not enough to say it's painful, just annoying.  Will take a rest day today.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

az - I guess I was not too clear, I have no concerns about a DNF, as long as I can walk or rest I can do the distance. The cutoff time for the 50k was that you had to complete the first loop (16.5 miles) in 5 1/2 hours. That would be a 20 minute mile pace and I think I could walk that fast if I had to walk the whole thing! As for the coconut oil, any lubricant would help, such a Vaseline between the toes. The coconut oil just seemed the healthiest stuff to put on the skin. Some people use a product called "bodyglide" which claims to work better, but I see some mixed reviews and I never have tried it myself. I have used a product called "un-petroleum jelly" made with castor oil,coconut oil, beeswax and vitamin E and that is good, but can only be found at health stores. Note that this will not eliminate 100% the chance of blisters, but some lubrication on strategic areas that typically chaff or blister can make things much better! I am not sure what you mean by "taping my toes", if you put tape around each toe I would think that in itself would cause more rubbing!

NH Runner

Wednesday, 4/4... all day rain event, didn't run.  Wind gusts to 60 MPH last night...

Thursday, 4/5... temp was 30 degrees this morning when I headed for the railtrail to run.  Wind was still blowing 15 - 20 MPH with gusts to 35, making the trail with its trees to break the wind the only option.  6 miles wearing Yaktrax, the footing's better, but still too slippery in places not to wear something for traction.  Today's run was a 'Character Builder'...lol

az... I think the small dosage I take of Vit. C each day helped with recovering from the cold a little quicker than normal.   I'm still not 100% yet, but gain a little each day.   Nice that you got out for an easy 8 miler, getting blood flow going into areas still effected by your last race will help with recovery for sure.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I did not do the 12 mile run last Saturday. It was 54 degrees, overcast and windy. Rested most of the day and then did a 4.15 mile run. Then, on Monday, a sunny day, I did 5 miles. Light drizzle Tuesday, 3.87 miles and repeated that run Wednesday when it was overcast at start with high winds and graupel stinging my face, then it became sunny latter on. A lot of people lost power due to 60 mph winds. Yesterday I did my long run, 10.4 miles. I did two short sections at race pace (9:20) or better. They only total about a third of a mile, but it is a start getting use to speed. Some sun, but also some light snow flurries and winds. Tired by the end of the run, especially after a steep hill at 6 1/2 miles, and my legs are sore today. Just catching up with things today, no runs planned. It just stopped snowing, got about an inch of the white stuff. I am trying to be quicker and improve my pace, but my weekly miles are a lot lower than this time last year. I hope to fix that with warmer weather coming up, but still more cold and some rain forecast for most of this week. I did register for the Sept 30 marathon today! $130 plus processing fee! No wonder I do so few races!

Dan - Good 13.8 run, now you know you can do the distance!

Art - Know how it feels not to have the time you like on a workday! Better a short run before work than none at all! Congratulations to the new Master Sergeant!

Rich - Guess it is hard to pick what locomotion method to use with the varying trail conditions. A walk is always good. Sorry to hear about your cold, glad the lungs are clearing and you were able to get out.. Some people where I work are sick, hope I don't catch it! The video was interesting, looks like she lapped most of the other runners by 4x!

Ray - I am envious of your 200 mile month! I wish I was running as consistently! Why the 8 miles indoors on a warm sunny day?

NH Runner

Friday, 4/6 ... 7 mile trail run today.   With the difficult footing, I'm really just logging miles 'til things improve, but it's all good.   Somewhere buried in the depths of my top bureau drawer are running shorts and T's, it's been so long since I've had a need to wear 'em, I've forgotten what they look like... 

Altair5... same thing here with the 60 MPH winds, lots of people without power.   Luckily, I was spared.   The kid breaking the national 5K record is something to see, isn't she?   You almost feel bad for her competition the way they get lapped so many times...lol  Fun to watch though, what a talent at such a young age!  10.4 miles with a little speed work  thrown in!   You're gaining...

Art in AZ

Another 3 miles Thursday morning before work.

Rest Friday because of an early work start.

6 miles this morning before starting the days activities with family in from Wisconsin. They are enjoying the weather here.

Altair - Now that you signed up for a race the 'real' training begins.  You're right in getting in the miles when we can. There is always tomorrow to get it done.

Rich - Nice that you got better quicker. When it gets that windy I think most people would want to stay inside. While you are waiting for the warm weather gear, I think it's safe to say I don't have to think about the cold weather gear here for a while.

AZ - Enjoy the weather while you are down here. It's still nice running in the morning, but it's getting there. I see that the Pine race has a 13K. Now that I think I could do.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 4/7... 3 mile walk on the trail today, basically a recovery day.

Sunday, 4/8... 4 mile trail run today.   I'm holding off running something longer 'til conditions improve in a couple of days.   Ran wearing the  Asics windbreaker I just bought, with removable sleeves, it doubles as a vest.   With so many variables in our weather, I figured it's something I couldn't live without...lol

Art... yep, put that cold weather gear away, you won't be needing it for a while, eh?   We seem to be having a late Spring this year, VERY late! LOL Things don't green up 'til around mid May, but locals try to hurry things along by looking for it to warm up by March...lol  A couple of runs and visiting with family from out of town, eh? Nice!

Happy Monday!

RR:  Tuba City HM trail and bike race, April 8.

My brother stayed at our place on Saturday night, he lives/works near the NM/AZ stateline.  He is doing the 25 mile trail bike ride, I'm running the HM.  It's an hour difference in time so we are up at 4:45 am.  Leave at 5:30 am after getting some breakfast packed, coffee.  We arrive at the start location after driving about 1.5 mile on dirt, wash-board road.  This is the first year for this race and lots of bikers and runners already, most from AZ but from UT, NM and CO.  About 160 runners.

Bikers take off at 8 AM.  Runners at 8:30 am. It's out and back.  It's deep sand at the start down a short hill for only a few yards, then hard packed graded dirt road, lots of wash-board areas, a couple of short gradual inclines till mile 4, then it's downhill for almost a mile.  We will be running back up this hill.  Aid stations were well placed so I only had my collapsible water bottle in a small waist belt, some salt tabs and a gel, and lots of kleenex.

It's around 55 degrees and getting warmer with the wind picking up around mile 5. The front runners are already heading back, WOW!! And the wind is kicking up dirt and swirling across the course, I'm glad I brought/wearing my bandana which I use to cover my mouth when I'm running head-on into the wind/dirt.  I'm beginning to pass ALOT of runners who took off way too fast at the beginning (IMO).

I walk through a couple of aid stations for water and gatorade.  On the way back, I walk through the same A.S. for tissues to blow my nose, it's been running faster than I am HA!  It's gotten more windy and sideways with dirt/sand.  I jog up the hill to about halfway, then walked 30 seconds midway and jogged the remainder of the hill, YES!!

It's mile 10 and picked up the pace and pass a few more runners who are walking alot by then. The wind is at our backs finally.  The hard dirt/wash board road is getting tough to run on.  Hip is complaining but feeling ok. Knee is fine.  I kept up with another female (younger) runner ahead of me but didn't catch her.  She kept me going though.

I run up the short hill through the deep sad near the finish.  Had a strong finish!! Chip time: 2:16.   OV: 51/160 but I think less than that actually finished.  AG: masters, 1st place!!   The results doesn't show my place in female but finishing in 51st overall probably puts me in good standing.

My brother had a good race and finish, he also got 1st place in masters!  How often does that happen, a brother/sister team, LOL!!

Overall, great training run for my upcoming marathon, May 5th in NM.

Today:  ran easy 8 miles on mountain trails.  NO soreness, tightness of hips felt much better after run.

Art in AZ

6 mile run Sunday morning before doing things around the house.

Rest day today because of an early work start.

Rich - That windbreaker sounds useful. Your weather will eventually break. Ours is going up and I just read we are in a serious drought condition again. Rain for Jan. through March was 0.77 inches. Normal is 2.82 inches. Plus the Northern part of the state got half of the normal snowfall. And we are in the driest three months of the year, Such is life here.

AZ - Well congrats on the first place finish. Bet you felt great after hearing that. And congrats to your brother also.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ