50 and over 5k and beyond

November 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 10 times)

Art in AZ

Starting off the new month.

Saturday's The Haunted Half race

The weather turned out nice for race day. Started a little on the chilly side with clear sky and temps in the upper 50s. Race started at 7:00 AM and off we go. Started toward the front as it looked like a decent crowd for this event. Half of the group were in costume. Pretty straight course with six turns and hardly any traffic because we started in the area of a couple of hills and open area, farms and houses few and far between to start the course. About seven miles to the finish line we got into the residential area until we ended at the shopping center. Started the race at what I thought felt like a good pace. Saw the 2:00 pace group and passed them. Then passed the 1:55 and then the 1:50 group. Started thinking something wasn't right as I saw the 1:45 group ahead. Looked behind me and could see the 1:50 group. Somebody wasn't running their pace. Was about 30 seconds behind the 1:45 group for several miles. Thinking if I keep this up I'll be really pleased. Between miles 8 and 9 started feeling tired and saw the 1:45 group pulling ahead. Got past mile 10 and my side started feeling a little pain. So walked some to give it a rest. Past the 11 mile mark started feeling tired again so slowed down and the 1:50 group passed. Got about 12.5 miles and a younger guy caught up and said he had been chasing me the past couple of miles. Said good luck as he went ahead and tried to keep up. Not today. Was running a slower pace now and just before the finish saw my daughter and son-in-law cheering me on. Crossed the finish line at 1:52 something. Better than I felt, that's for sure. But smiled when I saw the time. It was a good time but I wasn't sure how good it would be. Found daughter and son-in-law and we walked to the car so I could drop off my stuff and then headed to the timing area. Time turned out to be good for this race as I finished first in my group. Daughter was impressed so we waited for the award ceremony skipping breakfast and ended going to lunch when everything was completed.

http://1drv.ms/1Hmkp5R

So if everything worked right there should be a picture of the medals I received. The half medal and 1st place medal. Overall, not a bad race. Bah. Need to click the link. Having trouble inserting image.

Sunday morning did a 25 - 26 mile bike ride as a recovery run. Another great morning with cool temps and clear sunny skies.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

11/2... still doing my every other day routine, 6 easy miles on the railtrail.    I'm kind' a in limbo 'til January's CT Scan and just maintaining for now, but feeling pretty darn good...

Watched the NYC marathon yesterday, but the only elite American up front was Meb and he wasn't competitive after 20 miles, so a pretty boring event to me.

Art... congratulations, that's a great time for a half!     Your race report makes me think with better pacing, you'd have broke 1:50, but you still gutted out an age group win just the same!     Nice!!

HAPPY NOVEMBER everyone!

Art:  CONGRATS!!   Great finish time!! Yeah, I agree with NH but it happens even to experienced runners.  Nonetheless, you did awesome!  Cool medals too!  Thought I would see your 'costume' ......any photos of that?  I find that taking some deep breaths that go all the way to your diaphragm really helps with side stitches.  I do that the whole race now. It's amazing when our 'kids' really see that 'dad and/or mom' can really 'run' fast, right? LOL!! Priceless facial expression, I'm sure.  Love that.  Great RR!!

NH:  way to hang in there!    The 'waiting' can be frustrating but you're taking it all in stride; a healthier approach and keeping active.  I was watching for a few runners in NYC marathon as well.  Flagstaff, AZ male runner, Nick Arciniaga finished 16th male overall (he's on the cover of Oct. Running Times).  Santa Fe, NM runner Caroline Rotich (who won 2015 Boston) came in 10th female overall.  A trail running buddy from AZ, Rainy, finished in 3:35!! She's 50 years old!!  After the elites finished, the coverage just ended.

I ran a 'recovery run" on Wednesday, just over 4 miles, on the hills program on TM at gym and did some post-run drills.  I thought I was running 'easy' but the next day and into the weekend, I was groaning from VERY sore muscles of the glutes and inner thighs and quads.  Those darn lunges probably did me in!! Are you kidding me?!? I wasn't sore at all from the 25K race last Sat. So I foam-rolled, stretched, took hot showers & massaged the muscles the whole weekend. I know a short EASY run could loosen the muscles as well but I was too darn LAZY till Sunday.  I made it through the costume contest party on Sat. night, DH won the contest!! YAY!! Cheapskates, they made $$ the whole night by prolonging the contest till almost midnight!!  Prize: a lousy gift certificate to THEIR bar/grill for the bar food we can't eat!!   Anyway, Sunday was a gorgeous WINDLESS day and we spent a couple of hrs hanging X-mas (yes, X-mas!) lights on our big tree in our front yard.  Didn't want to be doing that in DEC when it's below zero!! Afterwards, I ran VERY EASY 6.2 miles on FLAT dirt road around fairgrounds.  Post-run stretches for about 20 min.  Feel much better today.   Planning on running today again.  Will take it easy! 

Art in AZ

No run this morning, just some exercising and a little weights.

Rich - Nothing wrong with maintaining especially since you are feeling good as a result. I think pacing might have helped but I was just running by feel as I usually do. I think the issue was my lack of continuous long runs before the race. Even though I did get some in before the race, all involved some walking because of the heat. Normally I have several continuous long runs before a race. Have to see how it goes with the rest of the season. But running close to the 1:45 group was a great incentive to try and achieve that goal. Now that would be something for me.

AZ - My daughter took a video of me approaching the finish and crossing the line. And a picture of me when we received the medals. I'm still waiting for them. She thought it was Way Cool that I came in first. Kept saying she would have to be carried over the line in a wheelbarrow. She has a goal of running a half. Started practicing a few times but family and work keep getting in the way. Having the older daughter in competitive cheer and the younger doing competitive dance takes up a lot of the extra time.

It's funny when we do a different set of exercises and feel beat up afterwards. I can see the logic of getting the lights up before it gets real cold and windy there.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Monday, 11/2... the weather was so nice today there's no way I wasn't going to take advantage of it.    Ran 7 miles on the roads, a pesky headwind going out, but I was in shorts and a T and didn't really care.    I've been wanting to get out on the road where I'm not stubbing a toe on loose rocks or dealing with the overall roughness of the railtrail to see where I'm at fitness wise.     Here's the splits... 8:47, 8:39, 8:37, 8:31, 8:25, 8:27 and 8:29.     Pretty happy with the run, got a little sore in the butt and right hamstring, but I believe that's a sign I'm running with the right muscles, so it's all good.     Oh yeah, the weather was 56 degrees and sunny when I finished up...

Az... as hard as you go, I suppose it's to be expected your body would rebel once in a while.    You're obviously in great shape, so a little break is probably a good thing.      What a runner your trail running buddy is, 3:35 at age 50?   Wow!    I think NYC's course is hilly too, which makes that time even more respectable...

Art... just to be clear, you'd kick my butt in a half whether your pacing was spot on or not...lol    Going by feel is probably the best way to race, it's not like I haven't gone out too fast and lived to regret it myself...lol    Bottom line, you're in great shape for an old phart...

Art in AZ

4 miles this morning under nice weather. Weather is suppose to change next couple of days as another low pressure system moves in. Expecting rain and cooler temps for next couple of days. So far this season the El Nino pattern has brought varying weather patterns across the state here. Maybe we'll ease the drought conditions a little.

Rich - Taking advantage of a nice day to get a run in is great. Especially when you know what's around the corner. Your splits are pretty consistent. Do you have any races you're considering before the end of the year? The only one on my list is the Mesa Turkey Trot again.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Art - What a great race!  Don't worry too much about the pace, especially given the downhill start - it is so easy to get out ahead of yourself. Nice bling too! Awesome job!

Rich - Some good runs there!  Yeah, all Meb did was set a new American Masters record!  In my dreams I'm that non-competitive! I'm with Art, you need to race at least once before the end of the year...

Az - We're all getting older and it ain't getting easier...You're doing great with all the races you've gotten in.  Keep it goin!

Fletch? Wondering how the training has been going?  Are you ready?

Finished off October with 5m Halloween run, 35:07 good for 5th overall.  Gotta say that I got beat by a 12yo  Kid was fast!  Oh and crushed by the 1st place woman. Did track a runner who I thought was older and passed him in the last 1/2 mile, couldn't stand the thought that an older runner might beat me...turned out he was only 50... Finished October with a total of 269 miles.

Sunday took the day off, too many things to do and the time change through me off.

Monday, 7.2 easy miles at 9mpm pace.

Tuesday, 8.2 at normal marathon pace.  Starting to get nervous about Saturday...

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 11/4... another nice weather day, so another road run today.    Just 5 miles through the local covered bridge, I stepped on it (for me) in miles 3 and 4, then caught my breath in mile 5...lol    Splits were 8:56, 8:23, 8:11, 8:00 and 9:30.    New form is working great, if I started training like I should and added a little speed work into the mix, seems like sub 8:00's would come pretty fast.

Art... good luck with El Nino weather, it'd be nice to get past the dry weather that's been plaguing the West for so long.    The plan is for me to race this weekend, the "Run for Pie 5K".     Difficult course that I ran last year, but not at race effort.    They give homemade apple pies to outright and age group winners, so there's a little motivation to work up a sweat...lol    Racing isn't a guarantee, but if nothing gets in the way, I'll be toeing the line Saturday morning.

Ray... no shame in getting beat by a 12 yo, it's amazing how fast some of those little so and so's can go...      I watched the winner finish the NYC marathon, then shut the tube off, so couldn't tell you what Meb ran for a time.     And I wasn't expecting him to be with the leaders at the end, he's still a heckuva runner even at 40.    Pre-race jitters, eh?    It's what it's all about...

rmcj001

Rich - Looks like you're gearing up.  Good to see, might be a pie in your future...

DW headed down south to attend a conference on plants and pickup the rest of our race packets on Friday.  DS1, his SO and I will be leaving early Friday afternoon.

Wed, 8.2 miles at moderate easy pace today.  Weather has gotten cooler here, finally starting to not feel like summer.  Oh. weather forecast for Saturday's race is high of 77F.  Start of race should be near 50F - could make for an interesting day...

Ray

justrundan

Last week had first ever running dream:

Doing multiple loops of 'somewhere' I'd never run before. I looked at my Garmin & I was @ 11 mi, thought, "wow, when I get back to the truck it'll be 13, this wasn't hard at all!".  Well DUH, it's a dream.

Art- that's the only way I'll ever run 1:52, 'in my dreams'. 

great job on the race.   Something's not right if you can see the 1:45 and the 1:50 pacers!

Ray- 269 for October...  I think that's close to my July-October total.  You are a beast, averaging almost 9 mi/d.

AZ- you are spot on re: the Christmas decorations.  I've done it in the cold before, don't want to repeat that!

Last few days have been amazing weather here, but haven't taken advantage with running. kind of a 'super-taper' for the HM Sunday.

DW & I took a quick trip to a quaint little town on the Mississippi, 45' north of Lacrosse WI.  Beautiful views from a cabin in the bluffs.  We did do some hiking up a bluff that killed my calves the next day!

Dan

Art in AZ

Quick 3 miles before work in cold with clear skies right around sunrise. OK. Cold for around here. Mid 40s so I ran in long sleeves and could see my breath. This low pressure front dropped the temperature and left a little rain also.

Ray - Nice monthly total. I don't mind losing to younger people. Much. I'm amazed that some of them are as fast as they are sometimes. It's like "They did what!". Good luck this weekend.

Rich - Hope you win a pie. I like warm apple pie, ice cream and a few slices of cheddar cheese. Mmmm.

Dan - Good luck this weekend to you also. Now I feel left out because everyone else is racing but me.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art:  WE can cheer on the racers this weekend!! I don't have any races till Dec. when I'm back in AZ.  You're staying consistent with your mileage despite the drastic change COLD temps there .  Stay warm in Phoenix!

Dan:  GOOD LUCK this weekend!!  You'll finish upright and strong!  Hope the weather cooperates.  How far is the race from your home? Have you run this before? Any family/friends running this too?  Glad you are taking some time off to enjoy the outdoors with DW, those trips are priceless.

Ray:  Congrats on your last race, that's still an amazing finish time!!  What a fast 12 y.o., wow!!  It's funny that I expect that but it's a bit ego-bruising when 'older' runners beat me (especially on trail races), and it happens alot, LOL!!   But it's inspiring at the same time. Your October miles shows you are ready for this weekend!! Is DW running? I've heard it's a very scenic course, hope you enjoy it. Good luck!

Rich:  you have the best reason to run a race!! A pie at the finish, yummy!!  Your training splits are awesome!

Hey Chantilly, hope all is well.

Let me see, On gorgeous Sunday, ran 6.2 miles, around fairgrounds.

Monday: another nice day, ran 4.2 miles around fairgrounds again.

Tuesday:  3.2 miles on indoor track at the gym, with drills in between, 15 mins each on elliptical and bike, then weights.

Wed:  rest day but lots of stretching and foam rolling.  Rained most of the day, cold and depressingly overcast.

Thurs:  Another rainy, gloomy, chilly, breezy day so drove to gym.  Started with 10 mins on elliptical.  3.1 miles on track with drills thrown in, 5 miles on TM on hills program, then finished with 2.2 miles on track.  Total of 10.3 miles, yippee!!

Friday (today):  About 40 degrees, feels like 36 degrees.  Another chilly, breezy, overcast day, BRRRR!  Got in short easy "kinda muddy" 3.2 miles around fairgrounds. Didn't want to drive to gym.

So I've run 5 days this week, YAY!! Smile

NH Runner

Saturday, 11/7... ran the 4th annual Run For Pie 5K this morning and at first thought I'd won my age group, but I missed the 60 year old punk who finished ahead of me and took my pie.     I'd looked for last year's winner and kept him behind me the whole way, but it was not to be.     Really difficult hills at the end of mile 2 and twice in mile 3.     Small crowd, just 64 runners total.   I finished 2/7 age group, 16th overall and just over a minute ahead of last year's winner in 26:47.     For the training I've been doing, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Ray... your race was today, right?   Hope it went well...

Art... 40 degrees!!!    That's considered below freezing in Az, isn't it? lol    You haven't lived 'til you've tasted Vermont extra sharp cheddar, it's really good...

AZ... training's going well in spite of Ma Nature's best efforts to slow you down.    Nice...

Dan... Good luck!!!

Art in AZ

5 miles Friday morning

5 miles this morning before going to young grandson's Arizona championship football game. Their team won so next stop is Florida and a chance to play in the championship game. From what I understand they play till they lose.

Rich - Too bad about the pie but you did good in both the age group and overall. All that training has paid off for you. Congrats. I'm off to watch a granddaughter play in her softball games.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

sluggo

John

Hello all,

Thought I would chime in. My miles have been going up a bit, about 20 mi/month.

My knee is feeling better. I take days off, especially if the knee is sore.

My solutions have been the gym, some swimming, foam rolling, and new custom fitted orthotics.

I've lost a *lot* of speed while mostly idle. I am running 5K in about 28 minutes - at least it is 5K

Oh yeah, ran my first timed race last month, a cross country. It was fun but I don't pick my feet enough. I kicked rocks and fell down a few times. It hurt, I was bloody, and I did NOT tell my wife!

I'll try to stay tuned with you all but I just don't log in that often...

John
                                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"