50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & workouts, week ending 2/24/2013 (Read 14 times)

NH Runner

First run back from the flu.   2 miles on the railtrail with walk breaks thrown in.  It's a start...

rmcj001

Rich,  At least you're running!  It's all good.

Walked 6.4 miles Sunday, 3.8 with dogs yesterday and 5..25 today.  Lots of hill work in there.  Leg is feeling better.  Not sure what the timing on my next run should be.  SF Marathon is 6/16 this year 5-6 weeks earlier then normal because of America's Cup schedule.  Back in November was thinking a PR, now not so sure.  Was looking at an 18 week training plan, that's not possible now.  I'm thinking now about starting with an 8 week 10K training plan and then try to increase the long runs after 8 weeks by 2 miles a week for 4 weeks, that'll get me 4 weeks to get my leg right with an 18 mile run my longest run.

Ray

Chantilly75

NH nice start back.

mcj Have you run in SF before?  I found their marathon quite hard with all the climbs/hills.  But a very scenic race.

6 miles.  arthritic toe acting up..

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday 2/19/2013

3 miles on the railtrail today.  Considerably less lung congestion than yesterday, but I still took walk breaks when the urge to cough was too strong to ignore.

Ray, good luck getting back up to speed.   You were running really well last fall and running some fast times in races.   There's still time to get ready for the S.F. marathon if you can get healthy.  Again... good luck!

And I wondered if you were a racer Chantilly, now I know you're a marathoner.  Good luck with that toe...

Last summer I ramped my miles up to 70 a week with the intention of qualifying for Boston.  Not only did I not qualify, I cramped at 19 miles and had a horrible race...lol  I was so beat up I ended up with a serious injury (Plantar Facsiitis) that I'm still not completely over.   For a guy in his 60's you'd think I'd know better...lol

Wednesday's a day off...

Chantilly75

Tuesday 2/19/2013

For a guy in his 60's you'd think I'd know better...lol

Big grin

...shouldn't we all!

yes, I have finished many marathons plus a couple of ultras over the past 15 years.  But remain slow due to arthritis in several areas.

7 miles on the track.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Well, I've finished 3 of 4 SF Marathons entered so far and I believe the course was different for all 3 ('79, '85, '95).  Given my age at the time, any hills would have seemed minor.  My favorite training run during most of that time included the "dish" at Stanford, which has a couple of good hills in it.  Even when I did my training in my home town (Vacaville) I included one of the steepest hills in my runs.  When my wife got me a fitbit two Xmases ago I started adding hills back in and now go out of my way to try and get "floors" in.  Solid 7 miles on indoor track no less - good job!

Rich - it's gotta feel good to be running again.  We all like to think we're getting smarter as we get older, but for some of us (maybe just me) we just get olderWink

5.76 miles walking today in 1 1/4 hours.  Wife wants to do a half marathon this weekend and there's a 8K with it.  Might have to race walk it.

Ray

Chantilly75

6 miles.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

4 miles on the railtrail today.  I'm still having to stop and walk a little, but the lung congestion is getting better.  I expect to be a blur again before long, people will see me run by, but I'll be going so fast they won't know what they saw...Roll eyes

As you can see, I'm not only getting older, but my imagination is still intact...Wink

old-runner

I was having some physical problems last week so I was only able to run a total of 7 miles in the five days from Monday to Friday. I had already paid for everything (registration, hotel, etc.) for the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon so I made the trip, hoping I would feel better. When I woke up Saturday morning I felt the best I had all week and ran one of my best races in a while -- 1st place in the 60-64 age group (1:35:51)! I guess the forced taper paid off. 

In a couple weeks I'm going down to Jacksonville, FL, to run the Gate River Run 15k. It's the biggest 15k in the country (15,000 to 20,000). Is there anybody else in this group who's planning on running it??

Chantilly75

Good luck on your race, old-runner!

7 miles. Deep heat rub is helping arthritic toe.  (at least temporarily)

Sonata Arctica

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hello! I am new on this thread, but see my post on "61 and still running" for some of my personal details. My runs so far this week are a 3.9 mile run on Monday, a 4.9 Tuesday, a 4.1 on Thursday and my long run of 7.4 miles today. My speeds were not very fast, but my fastest pace was on Thursday with a 10:54 pace and my slowest  was 12:10 on my long run. The weather has been cold, in the low 30s on Monday and Friday, in the low 20s Wednesday and Thursday.  - Altair5

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Welcome oldrunner and Altair5

oldrunner, that's a great time for Myrtle Beach half, way to go!   I hope you stick around and post your workouts, I'd be interested to see how you train.  And good luck at the Gate River run, what a crowd that'll be!

I got out for 5 miles on the highway today.  Our temp hit 40 degrees with a light wind, quite an improvement over what we've had lately.   I'm still dealing with the effects of having the flu, but I think the best thing I can do is keep moving.

Chantilly, good luck with that toe.  You might look at contrast baths as a way to help with the pain...

rmcj001

ORich - Welcome and don't forget the "Hi!" thread.  That's definitely a great time for the 1/2.  Like NH-Rich I'd be interested in your training regimen.

Altair  - any run is a good run in my book!

Rich (NH) - Getting there.

Chantilly - I'm a fan of ice, for me when my arthritis acts up there is almost always inflammation.  Like Rich mentioned the hot/cold treatments seem to help healing.

6.5 mile walk today.  Wife has changed her mind on what race to run, so it might be a 10K walk with lots of hills on Sunday.

Ray

Chantilly75

rest weekend.

Sonata Arctica

old-runner

ORich - Welcome and don't forget the "Hi!" thread.  That's definitely a great time for the 1/2.  Like NH-Rich I'd be interested in your training regimen.

I try to just keep things simple with my training. For the past couple years everything I do has been based on the book "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot" by John L. Parker, Jr. He's also the guy who wrote the running novels, "Once a Runner" and "Again to Carthage." The whole method can be summed up in about one sentence but he managed to write a whole book on it.

Basically I run at about 70% of my Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) most days, but one or two days a week I run at 85% or higher of my MHR (one of the fast days usually is a race). That's pretty much it. It works perfectly for me. For example, in the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon last week I built up my heart rate to 167 (that's about 87% of my MHR) and stayed there the entire race. It's an even effort all the way so I don't feel a lot different at 12 miles as at 4 miles.