50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

I made sure I post in August!! But Art didn't, LOL!!   Back later after workout .........

Happy August!!   82 degrees but nice breeze made it less humid.  Rest day yesterday.  Gym workout today.  20 min stationary bike, 10 min elliptical, 30 min weights, 20 min running drills, 2 easy laps.  The gym has to invest in a Gi-normous A/C, it's hot and humid in the gym, whew!!  More people than usual.  Hope to run 6-8 miles tomorrow.

Who's running races in August?

rmcj001

Happy August!

Az - Fires aren't that close, but when at work there has been smoke in the air and when at home you can look south and east and see a cloud bank that is smoke. Hope the knee/leg is still improving.

Art, Rich, Chantilly - Good to see you all so active! Mileage is looking good!

Dan - Sounds like a good trip and you and DW are doing well!

Been staying just ahead of pace bunny. Done a couple of races - Lake Merced Half marathon and SF Marathon - both very mediocre.  I don't know if it is mental fatigue or what, but seems to be harder to get motivated for the full marathon.  Took them both relatively easy and managed to sprint out the last 100 yards of the 1/2 to catch another runner at the tape (which meant I had way too much left in the tank). SF Marathon was close to ideal as it will get and if you take out the bathroom break (6 minutes) it would have been my 2nd fastest on the course (tho they changed it up a bit again). Also, my watch clocked it at 26.7 miles - so, course seemed a bit long. Did a mild recovery run of 5k this morning and legs feel just a tad fatigued - all 'n all not too bad.

Ray

NH Runner

Sunday, 7/31... basically a day off while I iced the stretched my heel.  Did take the mtn bike out for a 6 mile easy ride to try increasing blood flow to my heel and loosen things up.

Monday, 8/1... 9 mile tryke ride on the railtrail. Schedule was tight so I had to hurry along, made for a good workout.

Art... I can't believe you put an August post in the July thread!   How could you?!     Not sure what there is about the trail that aggravates my heel, could be the soft footing, the shoes with no cushioning or the uneven terrain that has my feet landing all sorts of way.    For now at least, I'll have to be a road warrior...

az... nice gym workout yesterday.   I appreciate the heads up about Art, that's something I'd never do, but the reminder came in handy just the same...lol   Hope today's run went well, I'm up in the air about tomorrow, but will probably run something...

ray... you're still running well, eh?   Maybe you need to step back from the marathon for a bit, those things take a lot out of a runner.   Run some shorter races and just have fun without the drag of constantly prepping for a marathon.    Here's an idea, drive down to San Francisco and walk around carrying a Trump sign, that'll add a little excitement to your day and probably give you a few opportunities to run like hell...lol

Art in AZ

Yea, yea. Go ahead and make fun of the old guy. And I was first last month so it was someone else's turn.

Rest day today because of having to be at work at 8:00 AM. Missed my chance to run in the rain as I got a little North of the house it started raining. And right now there is a storm overhead that is dropping water like crazy. So finally getting some rain here. Which will make for a very humid run tomorrow morning.

AZ - Nice gym workout. I don't know that any gym has a correct sized AC unit for summer. A few people here that use the gym during the summer have complained about the same thing. I will probably make the trip to Kanab for the half on the 20th. Monday's run felt good so I should be able to at least finish.

Ray - Congrats on the races.

Rich - An easy bike run is a good way to get things moving.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 8/3... 5 mile road run today.   My heel's still a little "testy", so I took it easy and iced afterwards.   A bad run's better than no run, eh? lol

Art... Yep, you're an easy target when you're on the other side of the country...    Too bad you missed the chance to run in the rain, especially with the heat you've been dealing with.    Probably the only people who would understand would be another runner...

NH Runner

Thursday, 8/4... 10 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail...

Art in AZ

Did the 8.4 mile canal route this morning but it was not an easy run. While getting ready it started to drizzle out. Maybe I'll get a little wet from rain. By the time I got out about 10 minutes later it stopped. First half mile felt an occasional drop. But the humidity and dew point were way up. Felt OK running but breathing felt a little harder. Didn't take long to get soaked from sweat and even with a breeze it didn't help. Just felt out of it. Eventually finished but felt wiped.

Rich - After today's "bad" run I'm not sure I agree with your statement.  Like we all have said before, "Some days are better than others. There's always tomorrow."

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning under cloudy, humid conditions again. But this run was a little different in that it got cooler since a storm system was coming through. Temps dropped 7 degrees between start and finish.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

HAPPY FRIDAY!!

Art:  you have had some vastly changing conditions on your daily runs, keeps it interesting!  Some runs are sucky runs but you persevered and mental toughness needs training too, right? I tell myself that when I'm being chased by deer/horse flies/mosquitoes in the hot humid woods   When I finish, I poise like "Rocky" when he runs the steps and rejoices, LOL!! The humidity takes the energy out of me, I can't breathe in it.  Totally get what you mean.  Been watching the National weather station and AZ got pounded, moisture is always a welcome there.  DH has been enjoying the cooler temps in Flag.  "Haven't seen a mosquito since leaving MN," he says!! Glad you will take on the challenge of the Kanab HM, run for joy and enjoy the cool temps. and change of scenery.

NH:  What part of the heel is causing issues?  Damn injuries can be so persistent.  You seem to be giving it some TLC, hope it responds back and you can get some mileage.  The tryke is a life-saver, if anything, gets you some strength training.

Ray:  my trail running buddy has been in 'training mode' and she's wiped out, just short of losing her mojo and risking injury.  She's just maintaining her base without pressure now.  You sound disappointed in your recent races. Fatigue does sneak up, lack of motivation is a red flag. Take care of yourself.

Chantilly:  excited about the Roswell event?

Mon and Wed:  workout out at gym.  Elliptical, stationary bike, some running drills, weights.

Thurs (yesterday):  to gym again.  Weights. And a 3 mile run. Elliptical.

Today:  gym workout again.  30 min Elliptical, 20 min bike; 30 min weights, some running drills.

Hope to get in a run tomorrow.

NH Runner

Saturday, 8/6... 10 mile railtrail tryke ride this morning.   10 is the furthest I've ridden the tryke and it's definitely making me stronger, I powered through places where I've had to slow down in the past.   Happy, Happy!

Art, do you track your weight very closely?   You must lose a lot running in the heat and humidity.    How about a before and after weigh-in to see what you lose in water weight during a run?    At any rate, you're hanging tough, just don't be TOO tough...

az... the Bursa between my heel bone and Achilles is inflamed and swollen, I guess the medical term is Achilles Bursitis.   I had it pretty much under control 'til I ran 8 on the railtrail the other day, so now I'm repeating the process that calmed it down in the first place.    I swear it goes back to my tight hamstring, that thing's flared up again as well.   You might remember I'm trying to get ready to run a half marathon Labor Day weekend, so am going to TRY going long tomorrow.    Nice workouts lately az, covering all the bases...

Art in AZ

Well we're back to sunny skies in the morning for a few days before another storm might make it here. 5 miles again this morning, hot and humid.

AZ - That gym is sure getting a workout with you. I know you're glad to have something like that close by.

Rich - 10 mile tryke ride. Way to go. I have thought of what amount of weight loss on these long runs. But I would have to get a scale so I could do a before and after. I'm sure whatever I lose during the run is put back on after the run with all the liquid I drink.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Another spectacular cool morning!! Less humid. DH returned late last night.  Glad I set the alarm to pick up him at airport, I dozed off!

Didn't run yesterday, no workout either.  There's a dragon boat festival, about 62 teams, lasted all day.  Partly cloudy day made it ideal.  So just got done with a short 4 miler this morning.  Yes, I did!!  Will work my way back up in mileage since I gave my injury some good rest days other than the workouts at gym.  The town is gearing up for the county fair this weekend so another weekend of too many people & traffic.

Art:  You'll rock the HM in Kanab with your mileage and biking.  Are you staying in town?  Solo? The drive is very scenic so take in the view, take your camera.  Wave to Flag!

NH:  sounds painful and frustrating.  Hope the planned LONG run worked out.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Some really nice gym W/O's for you. The lack of A/C < insects, IMO.   Hope you're not too lonely. I won't be going if the temps there don't get below 94F.

rmcj001 Congratulations on your SF marathon. I think it is a tough course. Very scenic, though.

NH Runner Some nice mixes of workouts for you. Hope you get the bursa problem under control.

Art in AZ  How was I thinking of the stadium stairs at the same time?  It was good to receive the rain there, but not the humidity. Hope you do well in UT.

Didn't run much last week due to sciatica and work.

6 miles on the track

30 min. stationary bike

60 min. walking.

Back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Got in a 12 mile run this morning. Still hot and humid. Not like it's going to change for a while. Did 3 loops of the overpass sections, gradual incline/decline in the middle of the canal loop. Needed walk breaks last few miles.

AZ - Good for you getting in a 4 mile run. I think the dragon boat festival is fun. You ever get to the one they hold in Tempe? Some groups really get into it.

Chantilly - I like your high tolerance for the temp.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ