50 and over 5k and beyond

June runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

Crazy Diamond

Congratulations to everyone on finishing up May on a strong note.

Thinking of you Rich, and hoping all goes well today!

Just came through a rough patch on a number of fronts the last few weeks.  Today, moving forward with 8 miles run (really it was a slog) with DH on his bike on the shady bike path.  75F and 65 dew point at 7:30am. Whew!  Summer is here!

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Well, I wish I had a good race story to tell, unfortunately it didn't happen.   5 miles into the race I pulled up walking after getting hit with a searing pain in my lower right leg.    Tried running again and was able shuffle and walk enough to finish the race, but what a disappointment.

Anyway, I'm still pretty sore 5 hours later, but I'll survive.   I do need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, so am going to take a few days to recover and try to get a handle on things.

gito!..  was worried about you!   Good to see you posting again!

justrundan

Starting out June with a rest day.  Retirement party this evening for a co-worker I spent 30 years with!  She was hired as a medical assistant a few months before I came to BAraboo in 1984.  What a sweetheart!

I did get in a 9.5 mile long run Friday and 4.5 slow (well, let's face it, they're all slow!) miles Saturday, so I did barely beat my March total.  June will be lower, we are going on vacation late this month, and it's not easy piling up the miles on a cruise ship.

Debra- good to hear from you. Hope your June is better.

Rich- OUCH!  Hope you can figure it out and it is healed quickly.

Have a good week all.

Dan

adkkev

Rich: sorry to hear about your leg problems during your race.  Calf pain?  Achilles?

Debra:  good to see you back ... 8 miles at that temp & dew point is pretty remarkable ... definitely woulda been a slog for me as well!

Dan: nice finish for May!

5.75 miles for me on a beautiful evening, watching the sun set as I ran about town.

Trying this again.  Not sure what's going on but posts are not showing up here.

So wrote up a post and it didn't show up!!! ugh!! Will try again later ......hope this message makes it!!

Nana_

Hi Everyone,

I've been visiting every couple weeks at best but here I am again attempting a new habit in this forum :-)

My update -

I've made it through Week #13 of "this exercise thing" counting those two weeks I was on the bench sidelined (precaution) with a ?bad knee?

I'm in Hal Higdon Week 3  Novice HM plan for a few more months of long-run progression.

Is your weather starting to get hot yet?  Summer not-n-humid  training, ugh :-)  But no more snow at least 

rmcj001

Debra - Nice 8 miles!  Hope things are going better!

Rich - So sorry to hear the leg didn't hold up.  I know exactly how you feel.  Taking it slowly might just be the mantra...

Dan - More mileage is more mileage, don't matter what the finally tally is - it's like a PR   Don't they have TMs on the ships?

adkkev - good start to June?  Keep it up.

Az - Yes, websites can be frustrating at times.  2 posts got through - so, there's that 

Jo - Good that you're back.  Hope the HM training goes well.

Friday, 5/30 - okay I'm late on this one, 6.1 miles in 54:50 or 9:00mpm.  Saturday, complete rest day.

Sunday, 6/1, Vibhna Dream Mile Half Marathon.  Whole family did this one (well, DS2 did 5K) including DS1's GF.  This race has been held at Hellyer Park the last 2 years and is fairly flat.  A very good HM for a first time runner and for GF it was her first. I usually need to warm up and family wanted to stay warm so separated early. Weather was cool for this time of year, so things were setup nicely for a good race.  I started close the front, but the race was chipped from the start.  Got off to a good start and first mile went by in around 7:05, knew I was going too fast and started to slow down a bit.  Mile 2 marker came by at 14:53 and tried to back off a little more.  Got passed at this point by 3 other runners - one of them appeared to be younger (13 turned out, but looked younger). After they passed me they seemed to slow a bit, cuz I wasn't losing any ground.  Caught up to the kid around mile 4 and he made an effort to stay with me.  At mile 5 I said we had about an hour to go and he said more like 1 1/2 hours.  I turned to him and said you're going way too fast if your planning on finishing then.  We stayed together until about mile 6 and he had to slow down a bit.  We say the leader at about this point - so smooth and about a 1/4 mile ahead of the #2 guy.  Turnaround was at about 6.8 - 6.9 miles and I was around 15th at this point.  Saw DS1 & GF and they were 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind me.  At this point caught one guy who had passed me and he was very cheerful, he informed me he wasn't racing just doing a 17 mile training run and would be pacing his wife soon.  DW came along and said I was in 16th.  I told the guy I was shooting for 1:40 and he said shouldn't be a problem.  Just before mile 9 he met up with his DW and headed back the other way wishing me luck.  Tings were find until around mile 10 where we hit the 10Kers, not too bad and I was tracking one of the men who passed me earlier as we weaved our way around the people.  I passed him at one of the aid stations and he made a concerted effort to pass me shortly after.  Between mile 11 - 12 we hit the 5Kers and things got crowded.  Lots of walkers and mobs using up the whole bike trail.  I'm very tired at this point and just mad that there is the mass of humanity between me and my goal.  I'm yelling "Runner coming!" and as usual, most people move to the right, but not all  which perturbs me to no end.  Then I'm getting mad at myself for being mad at them - no way to make me happy!  Finally we're back and I've lost the guy in the crowd and I'm running as fast as I can go into the finish.  Hit my watch and it says 1:38:39.  I've got to find water at this point as someone hands me a medal.  Grab some water and then head back to cheer people on.  GF comes in at 1:51 or so, but DS1 isn't with her(?).  DS1 finally comes in around 1:57 followed by DW at 2:00+.  I grab some more water.  I find some results and I've won my AG and we figure GF has probably won something so wait around a bit.  GF won her AG!  DW too!  Winners got certificates and medals!    DS2 ran the first mile of his 5k and finished in slightly over 30 minutes and then informed us he got a heat rash from running ( we force him to do at least 1 race a year and this was the race for this year).  We headed out to grab some DimSum and everyone was finally happy...

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Rich~You showed perseverance and strength finishing your race after suffering the leg pain so early. I know you're disappointed, but I'm assured you'll figure it all out.

Dan~Nice May miles!  Thirty years is a long time, you don't see that kind of loyalty much anymore.

adkkev~Beautiful sunset run - lovely way to end the weekend.

AZ~Hope your able to post soon.

Jo~Great to hear from you.  Keep on keepin' on with your HM training, and take care of your knee.

Ray~Congratulations on another fabulous race and AG win!  You are on fire!!  Awesome day for you and family.  DimSum - YUM!

Thunderstorms late yesterday washed everything down.  Walked 3 miles this morning.  First day of summer vacation for DS2.  We celebrated with a trip to the public museum, lunch and visit to our LRS for new trainers for him.  Size 14 - he won't be able to sneak up on anyone in those!

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Thanks for the encouragement, it's appreciated.    Structured tapers leading up to a race don't seem to work for me, so they're out, at least for now.    As bad as pulling up lame in a race is, the fitness I gained getting ready is still with me, so the best approach now is to get moving again asap.    I'm still pretty sore, so it'll be a while, but that's the plan...

dan... your motto should be... "Slow miles beat the heck out of no miles."    You do just fine!

adkkev... about an inch up from your ankle bone on the outside of your leg is where I had problems in the race.    If you feel there with your hand, there are tendons in there that connect the smaller leg muscles to your foot.    That's where "something" let go...

az... kick your computer!   It won't fix anything, but you'll feel a lot better...

Jo... slow and steady, you're building fitness.   Keep up the good work!

ray... what a great race for your entire family!    You just keep getting faster in these half marathons, congrats.!

gito... size 14s...   How'd you like to try running in those? lol   And thanks...

I'll be absent for a while, but still looking in.

And I wanted to share this...  early in Sunday's race, the course was crowded and I overheard a couple of women talking as they ran.    First runner, "Listen."  Second runner, "Yeah, I know, my kind of sound, it sounds just like rain."     What they were talking about was the sound of everyone's footsteps as we ran.    And I realized they were right, listen sometime...

rmcj001

Debra - Size 14?!  He's going to be a BIG person! I like getting the walks in, I think it is important to get those in too!

Rich - That doesn't sound as bad as if it had been the achilles, from that standpoint it's good news.  Still I know setbacks aren't good.  Ice/roll and soon heat.  Being injured sucks.  Occasionally I'll listen for the sounds while running and I know perspective makes a big difference on what we hear.  I can barely hear my foot falls (even if I'm almost deaf) but when I ask DW about it she says I'm pretty loud, where she doesn't hear hers - I can hear her's very well.  Must have been early on, 'cuz near the end all I hear is people breathing! Well, maybe it's just me I hear

Monday, 6/2, 5.1in 47:55 - nice slow recovery pace although I went a little too fast last mile - finally loosened up a bit...

Some stats and notes from 1/2 marathon in no particular order.  Calculated out splits for each have off the course - 1 second negative split.  1st mile was fastest, slowest was mile 7 (turnaround near the end of it).  Official time was 1:38:30 (8-9 second discrepancy - what do I know, I'll take it ).  13 yo finish time was 1:40:22!  Kid was shooting for 2 hours?! Talk about crushing it!  Guy I was tracking almost entire race beat me by 2 seconds and was 28 yo. DS1 was a bit off, on this course last Thanksgiving he set his PR of 1:33+,  about 24 minutes faster then Sunday.  It would be interesting to see what he could do if he trained consistently...(I should talk - only took me 50+ years to start training consistently )

Run well and heal quickly everyone!

Ray

Fletch

Rich - Man, that's really a bummer.  I know how much you were looking forward to the race.  But I do like your perspective - the fitness level, from the training, is still there.  Should be easy to get right back into the swing of things, IF you give yourself enough time to heal.

Ray - Congrats to you and the family!  Great race.

Deb - Good to hear from you.  Hope your "rough patches" have leveled out now.  Nice 8 miler, and a good walk, too.

Jo - Good job sticking with the plan.  Check in when you can.

Az - I'm with Rich - a good swift kick to the computer would feel good, even if it didn't fix the problem.  Hope you are well!

adkkev - You're getting in some good, consistent runs.  Love the sunset run (almost as much as I love one at sunRISE).

Dan - nice running for May!  Hope you enjoy the cruise.  Carribean??

Chantilly - nice month for you, too.  I hate dandelions!  The neighbor's yard is covered, and DW keeps threatening to "leave him a sticky note asking him to cut them before the seeds end up in our yard!"

Finally got out for a short run this morning.  3.25 miles.  First one since last Thursday, and I'm not sure when the next one will be.  This week is incredibly hectic with the preparations for the golf tournaments, and getting the house ready for guests.

Wishing you all happy, healthy and safe runs!!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Sorry that your race didn't live up to your training.  Hope the leg heals up without much trouble.  It is hard to figure these things out.

gito57 Good to hear from you and hope everything is better for you.

adkkev scenic runs in the evening for you.

rmcj001 Another fine race for you and all your family did well, also.

justrundan I heard that you have to watch those cruise ship buffets!  Maybe you can run around the deck?

az2mntrail Hope you are running well. BTW: I had to post twice before it "took."

Jo_ New habits take time, you are doing fine.

Fletch_NC Sounds like you will be busy for awhile.  Good that you can fit in the runs.

3 days off due to work.  Sciatica is bothering me from the garden/yard work, so am doing Pilates exercises to loosen up the degenerative discs in my back.

6 cautious miles on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

6.75 miles around town after the rain ended & the sun came out ... a bit on the muggy side but not "hot".

Nice running everyone!!!

Crazy Diamond

After a long work day - 1 mile easy, 2 miles on the rolling hill route, 1mile easy back home.  Rose and orange sunset was stunning!

Quo Vadis?