50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2017 Runs and Workouts (Read 14 times)

Chantilly75

justrundan Nice run with your wife.

17 mile run indoors

45 minute walk.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Hello everyone. It's been a while.

I have been busy and lazy. Busy in that I have had work to do early several days and didn't run. And I put wood laminate flooring in the other bedroom so went through that whole routine again. Lazy in that those days I didn't need to be early I didn't run because it was cold. Cold being the relative thing compared to some of your locations. Things back to normal now.

3 miles Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Did a 14 mile bike ride today.

Chantilly - Wow. 17 miles inside. You must have gotten into a groove while there.

AZ - Weather here has finally gotten back to normal with sunshine and decent temps in the morning. Looks like a trip to Flagstaff is planned for the last weekend of March. So far a trip to the Extreme Adventure site is planned for Sunday morning. Might see if there is a run on Saturday.

Rich - Nice to see you are feeling better and taking the time to let things heal.

Ray - Congrats on the race finish.

Allair - Welcome back. Sounds like you have a great goal in mind for October.

Dan - Great to be able to get out together.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Good to hear from you ART!  Nothing wrong w/ getting some time off, bummer you still had to 'work' and not relax/chill but sounds like you didn't lose any fitness. I'm going to be all over the place, in AZ or NM or CO during my visit 'home'. Will 'run a trail run' if any but I'm still taking it easy.  Will need to check all the happenings in Flag. Glad you're back!

NH:  how are you doing?

Chantilly:  17 miler!! Holy buckets, WTG!!

Dan:  those 'nice' days for outside runs is worth it and much more enjoyable w/ others.

Ray:  hope all is well.

Altair:  did we scare you away?

Due to the snowstorm Sun/Mon and a bitter cold snap since then, I stayed home but dragged my butt to the gym yesterday and today.  Wed: 20 min elliptical, 4 mile jog, took 1 lap walk break after each mile!! YAY!! My longest distance yet!! Then 10 min elliptical, kettleball exercises and weights and finished w/ some stretching.  Today:  10 min elliptical, 10 min cycle, stretching, 3.2 mile jog w/ 1 lap of easy drills/walk break, 20 min weights. First time I've jogged two days in a row, took it EASY but steady.  All's good so far!

Early mornings are below zero degrees and rest of the day was about 3 degrees most, but SUNNY! Still it was COLD!! We had dinner out and I've finished packing.  Leaving tomorrow morning.  Will stay at hotel 'somewhere' along the way before it gets dark. Hope to bypass the snow and cold temps the further south I go.  SOOOO looking forward to this trip. Will check in when I can.  Stay warm and safe!

NH Runner

Your smile for the day... lol  https://www.facebook.com/shutupmum/videos/968904253243569/

Chantilly... 17 miles!   WTG!

Art... cold?  I'll show you cold! lol   Stop procrastinating and start posting again...   You're doing ok, runs and bike rides when the weather permits ain't so bad this time of year...

az... I'm telling myself patience is a virtue these days, but with the weather what it is, this is still the best time to pull up and let an injury heal.   Reading your posts lately, looks like you'll be off to the races again in no time.   What's nice about these breaks is it gives your body a chance to get everything back to 100%, not just an injury.   Enjoy your trip and stay out of the hot sun, eh?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hello everyone! I've not been "scared away", I just figure I will post about once a week after I do my long run. This way I can give a better picture of my progress. I finished up last weeks run with a 5 miler on Sunday, reaching my goal of a 40 mile week (actually did 40.18). Unfortunately I lost my house key along the route! I wear sweatpants and am always taking off or putting on my hat or gloves to adjust my temperature stashing them in my pocket,and at some point the keys fell out of the pocket. I had to use my garage door opener to get inside the house. From now on I will just keep my key hidden outside while I run. The next day I walked the 5 mile course looking for the key, but no luck. I did enjoy the leisurely walk and want to do more walking and bike riding as cross training.

7.4 mile run Tuesday,kinda slushy out. 7.9 Wednesday. Halfway through the run I heard a car slow down and a friend of mine said "What are you trying to do, freeze yourself?" I replied "just getting my exercise". It was 42 degrees and I had on layers, a thermal shirt topped with a long sleeve tee shirt. Non runners don't realize how hot you get running and how you adapt to the cold. Later on that run a friendly dog I know barked. I like to race the dog to the end of his yard (he does not leave the yard) and I just went from my jogging form to more of a running form, but not really pushing fast. Looking at my Garmin it said that I was at a 8:25 pace! If I can keep close to that for the BQ I would be all set! The dog still beat me of course. Now a week ago I had run this same course and my time to finish it had improved slightly from 1:44:45 to 1:42:04 and my average heart rate went from 142 to 130! This shows my fitness is increasing. My long run was 11.35 miles on Thursday, it took me down Millgully road and as the name implies has a steep dip and passes over a running stream. Some sun at start, then overcast with some falling snowflakes, about 31 degrees. My overall pace was 13:32. Next week I plan to do a long run of 12 miles.

My legs, knees and feet have been sore and I think that I will rest today, maybe do a small run if I get antsy. Doing a 40 mile week was pushing myself since I was just doing about 20 mile weeks before, I know you should be increasing by only 10% each week. I am going to back off a little at this time and not get hung up on doing 40 miles, It is a careful balance to achieve between not doing enough and overdoing it.

I registered yesterday for the Wineglass Marathon. I was checking the website for a course map and saw that the registration has been open since December. I missed out on the early regestration price and had to pay like $20 more. I am annoyed that although I had signed up for updates I did not get an e-mail. Also, the map given lacks details so I can't create it exactly on map my run. The map seems to have slightly changed last year and it may be another new course for the October race.

AZ - Sorry to hear about your calf injury, but you seem to be coming along with the PT and being able to jog 4 miles! You like to run trails. I sometimes run along a Greenway trail, a flat dirt path though trees. I get more interesting views along the roads I run. I also like snowshoeing, but so far this winter has been exceptionally warm with light snow. Good luck with your travels.

Chantilly - Impressive millage! A 17 mile run! Plus, you often do several activities in a day! Very inspiring.

Rich - Time wounds all heels, but I hope for your recovery. You will have to take it slow at first. Thanks for the advice on fueling, I may ask for more advice as my races approach.

Dan - How nice to do a run/walk along the river with your wife!

Art - Come on! How cold does it get in AZ? I think I saw a weather report of some snow down there and I know what is like to be busy with the house, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Putting in more flooring doesn't sound like laziness to me.  After the hot summer you had, it is probably difficult to get outside in the cooler weather. Did you bike to get bagels?

As for the groove, I told myself when I left the house that I had to stay at the track for a total of 4 hrs. Mind over matter, etc...plus disco music!

az2mntrail Nice workouts for you, plus the 2 days in a row must be encouraging. Have a safe trip.

NH Runner Hope you are healing up nicely.  February is a good time to take a break considering the weather conditions you have on the rail trail.

Altair5 Nice weekly total for you, although at the expense of losing the keys. That dog must like you coming by his house. I read about the Wineglass. Sounds like a good race.

1 mile recovery run plus a 30 min.walk yesterday.

7 mile run and 30 min.walk today.

Back to work.

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

4 miles this morning around the neighborhood.

AZ - I checked for a Saturday event in Flag but the only thing close I found was a 5 mile trail race in Sedona. Maybe another time. Though I think doing all 5 courses at the Extreme Adventure will be a good workout for the day. Have a safe trip.

Rich - Hey! I said the cold was relative. Those high 30s to low 40s are cold to this boy. The weather is getting warmer. Ran without gloves this morning. Taking the 'weather break' is a good idea to heal. There will be plenty of time for running when the weather starts to warm up.

Altair - Nice job on the 40 mile week but I think you might be pushing it by the sharp increase of going from 20 to 40 miles. Taking a day off a couple of times a week is a good idea. I think it was sometime last year we were talking about an article about running less, running faster. October is still a ways off you still have plenty of time to train. Wait till Ray checks in. He has done a few marathons this year.

I'm in Mesa, which is near Phoenix. So no snow here. But the temps can get low here.

Chantilly - It's getting warmer so no more excuses about the cold. The bike ride was to the bank and to get out for a ride. Speaking of bagels I ate the last one this week so it's time for a bagel run again. Ahh. Mind over matter. I'll have to remember that.  Though I think they could use some better music.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - I know I went too far in increasing from 20 to a 40 mile week, I felt sore and worn out. Yesterday I just rested and felt much better today. Today I ran about 5 miles and. tomorrow I might do close to 4 miles bringing my weekly total to about 35 miles (not counting my 5 mile walk).My legs feel stronger, but I am not going to try another 40 mile week for a while. BTW, back in the 70's I lived in Tempe for a month or two. I think it was in late summer, early fall. I had no car and used to walk around in the heat. I walked to Arizona State University once.  I think I recall a mountain marked with a "M" for Mesa.

Art in AZ

5 mile run yesterday. Right leg starting aching around the 4 mile mark so took it easy the rest of the way home.

11 mile late morning bike ride today . Nice sunny and cool morning.

Altair - The hard part sometimes is knowing to take a break and rest a day. It just becomes part of the routine and you miss it when you don't get out. I know now the only letter on a mountain is the 'A' by ASU. If there was a 'M' for Mesa somewhere, it's not here now. I've been in AZ since the mid 80s.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - It was the early 70's when I was there and I remember seeing several mountains with letters.  I had to do a search, but I found that it was a local custom to paint the letter of the school on a mountain. I saw a picture of a "T" painted for Tempe. I also found a "M' painted on Pima Butte, but it said it stood for Maricopa AZ, not Mesa. I think this link will take you to the photo:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/634482?with_photo_id=108129975 

Unless I am doing very short distances I always take a least one rest day each week. Last summer I had several weeks where I ran just three long runs with four rest days and still had weekly totals over 40 miles. But of course that was towards the end of my training to run a half marathon and my long run got up to 20 miles.   I expect to get up to 45 to 60 mile weeks before the end of my training for the full. From what I have read  most Boston Qualifiers run more like 100 mile weeks!

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Nice 4 miler around the neighbourhood. Hope you have a good bike ride to get the bagels.

As for music, I moved up a decade this morning to '80's dance party mix on my iPod. 

Altair5 Hope you are not feeling too stiff now and can do your planned workouts.

We can see a lot of numbers from the highways on the "mountains"  in North and South Dakota.  The kids put them in using white rocks to spell out their high school graduation year.

45 minutes snow shovelling at 5:30 AM.

5 mile run on the track.

10 minutes stationary bike

6 mile run

30 minute walk.

I signed up for the local 24 hour race in June plus the local marathon in September.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 2/5... stopped at the local pharmacy today looking for a walking boot, figuring to limit movement of my foot to help get past this sore heel.   No walking boots for sale, but did buy a device designed for Plantar Fasciitis relief that accomplishes the same goal.   With slight modifications, it worked well enough that I went for a 3 mile Nordic Walk on the railtrail with no issues.   I noticed during the walk the railtrail's packed solid with a thin layer of snow over a base layer of ice.   So....

Monday, 2/6... took the tryke for a 4 mile ride on the railtrail today.   Conditions weren't great, 26 degrees with wind and rowing was a little more difficult than I expected, but a nice upper body workout just the same.   Evidence of lots of dogsled traffic on the trail lately and wild turkey tracks everywhere...

Tuesday, 2/7... snow is forecast for today changing to sleet and freezing rain overnight.   The big walk behind tractor I use for plowing my driveway is one of the reasons my heel's less than 100%, there's no way to plow without having to push / pull it at some point and it's HEAVY...lol  We'll see how I fare getting past this latest storm...

Altair... very nice mileage for the week!   It'll be great if you run a BQ this Fall!

Art... I always get a kick out of young runners in the Winter here, they'll be out in shorts, T shirt and no gloves in weather I have to bundle up in...lol   Probably has something to do with age, eh? lol

Chantilly... training's going well, eh?   Good luck getting ready for your races!

NH Runner

5K on the track this morning in 24:10.  Muggy, misty and 64-degrees.  This is my fastest 5K training run since returning to action after 4+ months without any running at all while recovering from plantar faciatis (July - Nov).  Slowly recovering my speed and endurance.  Racing my first 5K since June in just under 4 weeks!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 2/7... out early this morning before today's snowstorm got revved up.   It was snowing, but not much had accumulated when I headed out for a 4 mile Nordic Walk on the railtrail.   It looks a little weird with a hiking boot on one foot and a heavy sock pulled over a brace on the other, inside a sandal to keep that foot out of the snow...lol    Oh well...lol

mfender...welcome to the forum!   You're coming back pretty fast, eh?   Plantar Fasciitis is no picnic, you did well to get it behind you in just 4 months, some people struggle with it a lot longer.   Where are located in the country?   With a couple of exceptions, most of us are in the cold right now...lol