50 and over 5k and beyond

October 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

rmcj001

Start of a new month...

38 days to Revel Canyon City Marathon...

Finished up September with 8.3 mile run yesterday.  Total miles for September 223, with yearly totat 1476.8 - just a bit behind last year.

Started October with an easy 10.3 miles in just under 1 1/2 hours.  Should hit 1500 miles for year on Saturday...

Chantilly - Do you wear a GPS watch when you run the track?  See, I would lose track of laps if I ran the track w/o anything but my mind to track it.  These days I put the watch on lap time, 'cuz it will give me an ETA for each mile, but I find it hard sometimes to remember which mile I'm on.

Art - sounds like the weather is getting better there.  DS1 and I will be in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks for Tough Mudder.  Hopefully, the weather will be nice...Nice runs, you have a race this weekend, right?

Fletch - Wow, sub 8 on 2nd run of the day and she's slowing down? I sure hope she's running sub 20 5Ks, other wise the easy runs probably aren't easy enough.  Still, it is good to go faster on training runs.

For those on the East Coast, hope the hurricane isn't too bad.

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Nice YTD total for you, even with the leg issue earlier...

I have a Garmin footpod to wear on my shoe. It is a bit generous, even with calibration, so I run an extra couple of minutes to compensate. I run outdoors with an app on my phone sometimes.

Fletch_NC You belong with those fast people.  Great time for 2.5 miles!  Hope your training goes well for the Outerbanks.

Art in AZ  Nice try on the catching up…you'll get them the next time! A minion costume sounds like fun for the race.

12 miles on the track. Damp and rainy here. I wanted to finish the back yard, but it will have to wait.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

3 easy miles this morning thinking about Saturday's race. Have to get up at 5:00 AM so I can get there before the 7:30 start time. I have about a 90 minute drive I figure to get there. Race medal looks nice. Hope I can earn one. I'm in the 50+ group. Should be plenty of people to try and pass.

Ray - when I started this year I figured a total of 1200 miles. If I keep my current pace it will be 1500. So I have a new goal now. Nice couple of runs for you. The weather is suppose to get back to normal starting this weekend. Hopefully today will be the last day of 100+ degrees. The record for today is 107 and we're at 105 right now. So the record should be safe for another year. We have a few Tough Mudder style races around here. I'm sure they are fun, but I don't feel like taking a mud bath.

Chantilly - Another good run for you. You have another event soon, right?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 9/30... 2 mile shuffle on the railtrail in the rain...

Thursday, 10/1... after yesterday's rain, the railtrail was packed nicely, so ran 6 with 2 at my current 5K effort.    Not much to get excited about there, but I may run a 5K this Saturday just for the fun of it.    Seems like forever since I've raced...

Chantilly... we've had a dry, hot summer here, so I'm sure the trees were taking a big drink during yesterday's rain.    I haven't see the numbers, but would guess 3 to 4 inches for us.    Interesting the way 24 hour races play out, quite a workout though, no matter how you play it.    Nice mileage lately.

Fletch... I got a kick out of running the young woman's pace, there's a college age woman runner here I've seen a couple of times that's absolutely flying.    You know what they say, "Youth is wasted on the young"...lol

Ray... you're having a good year, eh?   Did I comment on the 5K?    If not, nicely done for you and DS.

Art... when I rototilled lime and fertilizer into the garden, I also added the grass clippings from the last 2 times I mowed the lawn.    It's a good start, next up will be compost and hummus this Spring if I can keep the compost cooking.    Lots of mileage for you this year too, that's what I need to do, build a base...lol

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  Good luck on your race. Hope it is cooler for you.  That's a bit of a drive, but traffic shouldn't be too bad?

The HM in Sept. was all I had signed up for. Ended up only talking about other races and not doing….

NH Runner Nice to get your footing on the rail trail.  Good luck in the race. Hope you don't get the hurricane.

11 miles after breakfast on the track.

6 miles after lunch fighting the 30 mph wind outside.

1 hour yard work.

Back to work for the weekend.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 10/2... 2 mile recovery run on the railtrail...

Saturday, 10/3... I passed on the 5K this morning, I'd rather wait 'til I'm ready to race instead of just covering the distance.    I did get out for 8 miles on the railtrail today though, pace was low 9's to high 8's.

Chantilly... 30 mph winds, eh?    You did really well to get 6 miles in in that stuff!     It looks like Joaquin is going to miss us this week and I'm very happy about that...lol   Nice double yesterday!

Fletch

Art - hope your race went well. Looking forward to the report.

Ray - nice runs. Sounds like your Canyon City race is the same day as mine at the Outer Banks - November 8?

Chantlly - nice double - in the wind!

Rich - nice runs on the trail. I agree- glad Joaquin missed us.

Thursday - 7.5 soggy miles

Friday - rest day

Today - 8 miles between the showers, then took the grandkids to the Train Museum to take a ride with Thomas the Tank Engine.

Long run planned for tomorrow. Gonna be a wet one!

Safe running!

Fletch

Rain overnight, but it stopped around 5:30. Joined a couple friends at 6:00 am for a nice slow one around town, dodging the puddles.

20 miles at about a 10:00 pace. Rest day tomorrow.

Have a a good week, everyone!

Art in AZ

Friday got a 3 mile walk in before starting the day.
                    Saturday was race day for the 8K run (5 mile).
                    Sunday got in a 10 mile run in before taking 2 of the granddaughters home.
                    Started to run this morning but it started to rain so turned around after getting in about half a mile.

Struvee Hunter Memorial Run report.
                    Day started out nice and drove to the event. Got there and saw it was going to be a pretty small event. Probably around 50 runners for the 8K. They also had a 2 mile walk and a kids dash. Talked with a few runners before lining up. Very low key event. No chip timing. Just someone yelling Go! Decide to run with my headphones so get them from the car. Of course they decide to start. Start at the back and pass a couple of people but the field seems to be pulling away. Didn't think I was moving that slow. Kept at my steady pace and the course goes from old pavement to packed dirt road and then onto dirt trails. The trail crossed several shallow dips that were all filled with several inches of sand. Trail was a combination of hard packed dirt, loose dirt and sand. Felt strange running on the sand. I could feel my feet slipping whenever I tried to push off running. Took a little to get used to running in it. But I never felt I could get into a running groove. Just felt a little off. Throughout the course I saw and passed a couple of people but never saw the main group. After running on the trail came out onto the old paved road again and started up the only hill on the course with about a third of a mile to go. Crested the hill and saw the finish and sped up a little to finish.

Turned out this was one fast crowd. The winning time in the 50+ group was 40 minutes plus. After the race I was sitting around relaxing with a group of runners. Turns out they were all UPS drivers, lived in the Valley and drove to the event. One of them is an ultrarunner and he was the overall winner. His next event is a 55K run up on the Hopi reservation in 2 weeks. It was good to discuss different length runs and events. One of them ran the Black Canyon Trail race last year. The same one AZ did. While waiting for the awards they told us to line up and go get breakfast. Breakfast consisted of orange juice, milk, scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, bagels, fruit, ceral and yogurt. That was a pleassant surprise. Overall good event worth the drive.

Nice running everyone.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Chantilly - Well, any pedometer is only as accurate as we are consistent - if your stride length varies as much as mine, there's no way for it to be accurate all the time.  I figured fitbit would keep a table of stride lengths depending on turnover rate and they do, but it consists of only two values walking and running.  The switch between the two is somewhere around 600 steps/5 min.  So, when I walk really fast, around 700+ steps per 5 minutes, it is WAY off.  Nice to see how consistent you're running.

NHRich - If you're not ready to race, you're not ready.  Most likely a good decision in the long run.  Training sounds like it is going well and you'll get there.

Art - I think this will be my 3rd "mud" race.  It's more about the obstacles and the mud just let's me be a "kid" again.  Nice race. I kind of look at races as a personal challenge and not try to worry about how well I'll do compared to others, because that depends on who shows up. I know there are lots of old guys out there that will kick my behind from here to next month, so I try to do my best and see where the chips fall.  I take more pride in PR then how well I finished (not to say I don't take pride in finishing well )

Fletch - Wow!  A 20 mile run?!  You'll be ready for your marathon!  I'm hoping to get in a 15 miler this weekend and maybe an 18 in a couple more weeks.  Keep up the training!

Friday, 7.2 at a very easy 9:10mpm pace.

Saturday, 1/2 marathon on Montara Mountain (3000 feet of elevation) in just over 2 hours.  5th overall and 2nd in AG.  I was 10 minutes faster this time over February.  This was meant as "hard" workout, but apparently the goal of no walking paid off...

Sunday, turned into a rest day.  Quads were/are still tired and fell asleep very early for me.

Monday, 8.6 recover miles (9:30mpm pace).  Weather is supposed to get warm again later this week after a slight cool down this weekend.

Ray

rmcj001

Week 2 of run hard runs hard and easy runs easy.  8.1 miles in 1:01:15 - wanted to quit at 3 miles but kept it going.  I figure at this point the only reason my brother is actually faster for a 5K is mental (me that is).  Nothing like sibling rivalry to motivate a bro...

Ray

Chantilly75

NH Runner Nice pace for 8 miles. Are you using your tryke?

Fletch_NC That was a good long run.  Did you go out with the group or run by yourself?

Art in AZ  Congratulations on your race! Quite a competitive field. That's a good selection of food they had. Nice to meet some other runners and see what they are up to.

rmcj001 Congratulations on your HM. Nice to be faster now than in February! ...Mud race?? Don't get injured doing one of those. 

No run for 3 days due to work.

13 miles after breakfast.

Walked for 1:30:00 after lunch with a fairly brisk step.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 10/7... quick check in.     During the later stages of last Saturday's 8 miler, breathing deep as I ran became a little painful.     I got up feeling ok Sunday, so went out on another 4 miler later in the day and experienced the same painful breathing halfway through the run.

As it turned out, my yearly check-up was the following Monday and I mentioned what I thought was the Pleurisy symptoms I'd experienced during the last 2 runs, a condition where coughing and deep breathing are painful.

Just to be on the safe side, an EKG, chest x-ray and a multitude of blood tests were scheduled.     Anyway, the phone rang yesterday to tell me the EKG was normal and my blood work came back "perfect".    The chest x-ray hasn't been read yet, but given my family's history of heart problems, I'm now waiting for an appointment to see a cardiologist.

Personally, I don't think this is anything serious, but am happy to take the time to be sure.     My chest is still sore when I breathe deep, but seems to be improving.     Just so you know...

Good Morning everyone!  Brief check-in to let you all know I'm still here Smile

Thinking about the SC flooding and hope all is safe with anyone close by there.

DS's wedding on Saturday was beautiful and love our new DIL Smile and her family who we finally met for dinner the evening before the wedding. Wedding was in a park, very intimate and small.  The 'cupcakes' were awesome!!  Bride was gorgeous and personal vows short and sweet.  The day was incredible.  The annual International NM Balloon Fiesta is going on now so lots of activities.

Been running the trails along the Sandia Mts east of Albq.  YAY!! Been under the weather for the last 2 weeks while in northern AZ (not sick but feeling very sluggish, weird!!) and didn't get the mileage I wanted for my 50K in MN later this month so had to drop to the 25K.  Totally bummed but I know it's for the best.  Enough said. Sad

DH flew back to MN the day after the wedding.  I will be in Durango, CO this weekend for the 'Durango Double.'

You all take care.

rmcj001

Chantilly - You don't mess around when you're running!  Like the 1.5 hour walk.  Not sure any of us walk enough.

NHRich - That doesn't sound good.  Hope everything comes out fine. Rule #1 - get to the start line healthy...

Az - Congrats to the new family!  Too bad about the 25K, but see comment to Rich about Rule #1 

Wed, 9.4 recovery/easy miles.  Weather is warming up a bit, 82F today and supposed to get close to 90F by Friday.  Warm for this time of year, but not too warm yet...

Ray