50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

NH Runner

Friday, 5/1... a double today, 5 mile railtrail tryke ride followed by an easy 5 mile railtrail run later in the day.   Met a young woman walking the railtrail while I was riding the tryke and she said 2 words,   "That's awesome!"     168 total miles run in April...

az... you're right about the foam roller and I knew it, but can't seem to remember things I already know...    Between the protein shakes I'm drinking lately and the foam roller, recovery should be a breeze, if I can just remember to take advantage of 'em...lol    Nice 12 miler, sounds like you got into a nice groove on that run...

Chantilly...yes, the railtrail's dry and the mud's gone.   I've been on it a lot lately because of the trees that block the wind.    Solid runs for you too in the last 2 days, nice!

rmcj001

Az & Chantilly - Wow!  That's some nice mileage you two racked up the last couple of days!  Make me feel like such a slacker.  Nice that weather has improved.

NHRich - Tryke and running - nice double!

Adkkev & Art - Nice runs as well!  Looks like April was good for the both of you!

Finished off April with 9.5 mile run on Wed and 7.2 miles on Thursday.  Monthly total was 170 with the first week off.

Started May with 10.2 mile run this afternoon. Temp for Thursday was 86F and today felt warmer (more running in the sun), but temp was only 81F...

Here's photo of what I looked like after today's run...A Little Salt

Ray

justrundan

NHRich- Wow, 168, nice mileage.  You are really working it, nice job.   Nice compliment on the Tryke

Ray- 170 miles with an off week?  Slacker and Ray should not appear in the same sentence.

Really cut back this week before the DCHM, hoping the right knee would get rid of whatever has been bothering it.  We will see.

Setting in the hotel room 1/2 hour south of Peninsula state park waiting for DW to wake up.  We'll get some breakfast here then head to a parking area from where they run shuttle buses into the park to the starting area.

Weather is supposed to be fantastic today, so no excuses from that! 

We will drive back south to DS & DDIL for the rest of the weekend, then home Sunday evening.

RR to come later this weekend.    Y'all have a great weekend.

Dan

Dan:  Good Luck!! Weather should be great for a run in the park!  RUN FAST!!  Will be waiting for the RR. Hello to DW! 

Ray:  That some serious 'outfit' ......what did you wear on top?  I wouldn't mind 'slacking' with those April miles, WAY TO GO!!

Chantilly:   Chadron, NE is such a cool enjoyable and scenic drive. I actually would prefer ND, WY and/or NE. I think I can handle 3 HMs ........maybe one FM somewhere in there or some combination like that.  If I end up in CO, might as well visit home in NM/AZ, LOL!!  Will think about it and if it doesn't conflict with DS's wedding around that time.  They still don't have a definite date, no rush and not a big event.  That's my 'baby boy', LOL!!  The future DIL is cool with anything, she's not into big weddings either, YIPPPEE!!

After Thurs. 12 miler, decided on a shorter recovery run yesterday (Fri).  Met up with a friend who wanted to go mountain bike riding so we met at the Movil Maze. It's a local rec area and known mainly for X-country skiing but lately for mountain bike riding.  I have been running there for the last couple years when the snow/ice melts.  I ran ahead of her.  This was her first time on the trail so she was being cautious. Quiet. A few short hills. It was exhilarating!! Finished about 4 miles in about 45 mins, YAY!!  Will be going there more often. Planning on mountain biking today and throw in a few miles of running.  I always feel the NEED to run even when I plan to just 'bike.'  Wondering if that comes from "one of these days, I WILL do a duathlon" to check it off my bucket list. Probably.

Have a super duper weekend everyone!!

Art in AZ

5 mile run this morning with some exercise a couple of times at the pull up bar as I passed it going out and coming back. Nice day for a run. Had breakfast, worked a little in the garden, went to granddaughter's softball game, Olive Garden for her birthday lunch and then to Toys R Us for her birthday so she could get a new bicycle.

AZ - Couple of nice runs for you. No plans for any races yet. The only times I have been 'North' to race have been by Arcosanti and the half in Cottonwood. I might do a couple of 5ks around here like I usually do but haven't decided on anything yet.

Chantilly - Another long run for you. I wonder some times with your runs if 12 miles would be considered a long run.

Rich - Great total for the month and another compliment on the trike. Way to go.

Ray - Great month for you also. With the weather warming up, the sweat level goes up with it. I'm not looking forward to that too much.

Dan - Hope your race went well and your knee didn't give you any problems.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

So ended up cycling 6 miles to State Park, and running back and forth 10 times on the only short 'steep' hill in that area, then riding back home 6 miles. Ran about 2 miles total. Took about 2 hours total, NICE day and a good workout!! Gorgeous day for being outdoors!!  My quad muscles were happy about them.  DH had a great long swim and workout. Then we had dinner afterwards at nice local place which happen to be having a "Kentucky Derby Hats" party day!! Did not know it was Kentucky Derby, exciting race!! They brought their kids too!! To the Bar Area!! Cool Hats!!    Living in the midwest still surprises me .

NH Runner

Sunday, 5/3... yesterday was a 5 mile easy paced run on the railtrail, today was 7 miles on the highway in 61:52.   My legs actually felt pretty good today, now if I just knew why...lol

Ray... you've been logging some serious miles for quite a while now and doing really well.    The tights in the picture, are they compression?   How are they to run in compared to shorts, better, worse?    Nice runs the last few days!    The tryke's worked out really well as an upper body workout, I want to ride it a couple of times a week this summer then see where I'm at.

Dan... thanks!   Looking forward to your half marathon report, hopefully your right knee will behave!

az... solid as a rock as usual, between the mtn bike and hill repeats  you had a great workout yesterday.   Love the big hats they wear for the Derby...lol

Art... you wouldn't be spoiling that grandchild, would ya? lol   Sounds like a great day yesterday, with a good workout thrown in to get things started.   Nice!

rmcj001

Sat, 5/2, 6.2 miles in a brisk 48:46 - about 1/2 way a guy was clicking off the miles and I kind of went with him and picked up my pace.  Felt good to get a quick run in.

Sun, 5/3, 12.2 miles in 1:44:38 - last 4.2 miles was at marathon pace - feeling a bit less slackerish...

Dan - Hope your race went well and the rest of the weekend.  Looking forward to RR. Think, between the two of us we might have 1 good leg...

Az - What's on top? Friday wore mustard yellow tech t, probably a bunch of salt on it from where I wiped my face.  Even my eye-lids were sweating...Nice recovery workout.

NHRich - They are compression tights.  Last couple of weeks been trying to wear them twice during the week, they give the knee some support and I'm out of KT tape.  They aren't bad to run in, they don't feel hot, but the salt build up is a little weird.  Sounds like your legs are working into shape!

Art - I hear you on the warm weather.  Hopefully our bodies will adjust to it - given enough time.

Ray

Art in AZ

10 miles this morning in warm, sunny, clear skies. Tomorrow evening suppose to rain as a cool front moves in dropping temps back into the mid 80s. Now the question is whether to water the garden or not.

AZ - Just mentioning a duathalon and you start practicing. Nice hill work.

Rich - You felt good because it was the end of Gump week.  I don't have to spoil these two granddaughters. Grandma does enough for both of us plus.

Ray - Nothing like another runner to kick up our competitive gene a notch or two. I always wondered if the compression tights made your legs warmer because of the material.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Monday, 5/4... first up was a 4 mile trail hike today followed later in the day by a 6 mile railtrail run.    I seem to run the railtrail about a minute per mile slower than the road, so mid 9:00's was just about right.   Temperature was mid 80's and the news was saying the last time we saw that temp was October of last year.    Doesn't surprise me at all...lol

Ray... that's interesting about the compression tights, I've read they help with recovery as well by getting rid of lactic acid in the muscles.    Nice runs the last couple of days, as usual...

Art... that seems funny your temp will drop back into the 80's...lol   We seem to talk about the weather in here a lot, don't we? lol   Yup, grandkids were meant to be spoiled and who better to do it than the grand parents? lol   I miss my Gump week already...

Art in AZ

5 miles under clear skies, breezy and somewhat damp weather. It rained last night and we received a good amount if evidence of the retention areas is any indication. So I didn't have to water the garden after all.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Weather chat continues .........LOL!!

Enjoying the 'low' humidity, it's so nice to run outdoors even with 60s temps and sunny skies.  Only about 5mph today.  Drove to State Park and started on paved path, then took off on grassy X-Country trails. Finished 10.2 miles!! YAY! Been really trying to run 5 days/week.  Grandma's marathon is next month!! Already?? Then, the Trail marathon in WA state in July. That is gonna be fun!

DH decided to have add another 'hobby' ......BEES!!   So he bought some after getting all the 'stuff' assembled and now we wait, I guess, LOL!! Over the years, he's gotten bit a few times but I haven't .....yet!!

Art:  good job on the keeping up with the mileage.  I didn't plant any veggies this year but should get some herbal plants .....and maybe some grape tomatoes .....zucchinis.....etc.

Ray:  do you find the compression tights beneficial?  For recovery makes sense especially when you have to 'travel' home a distance/or flying.

NH:  Great 'double workout' ......hotter temps also affect pace times.  Wow!! 80s!!

justrundan

Door County Half Marathon RR:

Amazing day for northern WI surrounded by cold Lake Michigan water.  near 60 to start, close to 70 by finish of race.  I should have known...

My time in 2013 was 2:18:32 so I decided to try to hang with the 2:15 pacers.  Started out well and the knee never gave me any consistent trouble, just an occasional twinge. Very happy about that!  Kept in front of the pacers for first 3 miles, but all they did besides run was talk.  Constantly!  I'm like, hey, I'm laboring up here 10  ft in front of you!    They passed me at the 3rd water stop and I couldn't keep up.  First sign of trouble.  The biggest hill between mile 4-5 sapped me some more. (I think you can see the map and elevation profile in my training log).   Saw DW @ mile 6 and 10, nice to see a smiling face!

I enjoyed the views of Green Bay on the high spots, and the quiet forested areas were great, even if my running was not.  I had to walk between several of the water spots the last 3 miles, and had no kick the last mile like I did 2 years ago.  Despite all that, I did pass a few people in the last 3 miles and actually stay ahead of them!   DW was near finish line to cheer me in, but not much pick up speed.  After finishing I met her at the fenced off area and hung on her, not sure if I could walk or should just throw up.  (I didn't even hear them call my name as I was approaching the finish line, but DW swears they did)  I was able to get some water and banana and finally left the finish line chute with my medal.  Very slowly walked with DW back to the concourse and lay down.  When I got up I felt dizzy, and legs felt numb.  It was the worst I've felt after a race, ever.  Even thought of going to the medical tent.

In retrospect, I think I got dehydrated and that's what was causing the really bad feeling.  in 2013 the starting temp was near 40 and never got over 55, so I probably did not drink enough water during the race.  I think my fueling was OK.

Official time was 2:18:36, 4 seconds slower than 2013!  Really!!    Sad.

They say you learn more from your mistakes?  Here's what I learned.

1. Factor in the temperature!   Plan to get enough fluids on warm day! 

2. Not enough hard runs in the last 12 weeks, too much maintenance on the TM.

3. Not enough hill training- need to spend more time on the hills near home or at Devil's Lake!

4. Use a plan!    Due to work and the additional distraction this winter&spring, I didn't feel I could commit to regimented training plan.  And I paid for it.

So, given all those mistakes, I shouldn't be to disappointed.

Anyway, 10 weeks to Dances with Dirt trail HM.  Do regular training plans work for trail races?  AZ?

You all have great weeks!

Dan

NH Runner

5/5... double again today.   First up was a 7 mile tryke ride on the railtrail, followed later by a 4 mile easy railtrail run with the Tuesday crew.    The warmer air has dried sections of the railtrail to the point where the soft dirt made for tough going.   Perfect!

az... bees, eh?  Good luck with that...lol   Nice run yesterday.   Good luck getting ready for Grandma's, I'm unofficially in marathon training already, but will hold off committing until the half marathon is behind me next month.    I need to run the half well and come out the other side injury free, if I can do that it'll be official.

Dan... I enjoyed the race report, thanks.   Given the conditions, I think you ran a better race than 2 years ago, the warmer air would have definitely worked against you.   All things considered, you did pretty well.   The list of things you need to work is an eye opener as well, a reminder of what I need to pay attention to.   Thanks again!

rmcj001

NHRich - Double double (is this an in-n-out?) good job!  Yeah, I'm not sure about the lactic acid, but support hose and compression is supposed to help circulation - so, could be.  They don't seem to affect performance and they provide a bit of support and even if it's only in my mind, well placebo affect is real - so, yeah I'll go with that   I will say I'm a bit self-conscious when I wear them and since I don't own any non-liner shorts, I try to wear a longer shirt when I use them...

Art - Nice couple of runs you got there, even with the heat!  So, true about other runners around - not sure that I'm that competitive (probably am) but don't want to embarrass myself either.

Az - Another good day running for you!  I do find the compression beneficial, extra support for the knee, extra support for the hamstrings (not that I run that fast anymore, but right hamstring was a problem about 25 years ago) and may help with recovery.  They are expensive tho and since I'm, how to put this, small and SKINNY they're hard to find in the right size.  At the Modesto marathon the swag included arm warmers and as usual I needed XS, so they arrived last week in the mail...

Dan - Nice RR!  If you calculate running pace adjusted for temp, your time would be about 3 minutes faster then 2013.  That's not bad.  I think training schedules help quite a bit and if you can do your training under similar conditions that you'll be racing in, even better.  It's good just from a mental standpoint, 'cuz it takes quite a bit of mental fortitude to stick to a schedule.

Monday, 5/4, 7.5 miles in just under 68 minutes (9:04 pace mol).  Saw a coyote running across the park - not usually out in the middle of the day with no cover.

Tuesday, 5/5, 10 miles in 86:18 - a little warmer today and still a bit tired from having to get to work early.  Sleep is underrated...

Ray