50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts, Week Ending 7/21/2013 (Read 8 times)

NH Runner

Monday, 7/15

5 miles today.  I ran the mile to the HS track, shed the shandals and ran 3 barefoot miles, then ran home.   The bottoms of my feet felt good at the start of BF running, but were pretty sensitive by the time I'd finished.   I think this routine of working in barefoot runs when my feet are agreeable will toughen me up eventually.  Today's run gave me 15 B.F. miles on pavement total.

Ray... congrats on another good 10K race.  To jump in at the last minute like you did says a lot about your fitness, way to go!

Chantilly... I'm not familiar with Cortizone other than to know it's not particular about what it dissolves, it'll dissolve both calcium and bone.  For that reason, I don't think I'd ever have it injected into a joint.  I know it's great for inflammation though and maybe that's what the Doc's got in mind for your pinched nerve.  At any rate, good luck!!

Art in AZ

Decided to do a bike ride this morning so put in about 17.5 miles. Felt pretty good. Having a breeze is really nice. Weather forecast is for rain the next couple of days. We'll have to wait and see how accurate that is. Would be a nice change.

Ray - Nice time on the 10K again.

Rich - Did you make a separate column for your barefoot miles?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

Decided to change things up because of the forecasted heat & humidity this week so I got up earlier than usual and ran 6.35 miles around town, then showered and headed into work.  I kinda liked it!!  I'll see how it goes for the remainder of the week.  And if it cools off late in the evening & I'm feeling up to it, I might head out for a few more miles.

Ray - our canoes are solo canoes so we use double blade kayak paddles ... no real "J stroke" involved.  Our canoes are slightly under 12' long, kevlar construction, and weigh roughly 25 lbs.  Not quite as light as the Hornbeck & Placid Boatworks solos, but those solos are much more expensive!  (Placid Boatworks solos are considered the 'Cadillac' of solo canoes)

adkkev

Another hot & humid day forecast for today so that meant another stab at morning running ... 6.75 miles around town, lots of hills mixed in along the way.  Saw several walkers & a couple runners when I looped around by the junior high school (there's a track there).  I seem to sweat just as much on these morning runs as I do on my evening runs even though it's much cooler in the morning ...

Chantilly75

adkkev early morning is the way to go in the summer.

7 miles at 6:00 AM. Very nice weather here.

We had a thunderstorm yesterday which didn't last too long.

I am not going to get cortisone unless it is a last resort-type of thing.

Will try physio/massage therapy plus NSAID's first.

Don't like to run on NSAIDs, but for the short-term, probably ok.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 7/16

I tossed around the idea of taking the day off, then decided to do a short recovery run on the railtrail instead.  Should have stuck with the day off, my right calf started to tighten up almost immediately and rather than run through it, I turned around and headed for home just a half mile into the run.  No big deal, I wanted an easy day anyway, I'll look for better results tomorrow after I stretch this leg out...

adkkev... I've been chugging Gatorade lately to make up for fluid loss regardless of when I run.  Morning is better, but one morning the temperature and dew point were both 68 degrees.  In other words, the air was holding all the moisture it could hold.  When that's going on, we sweat... Joking

Art... I'm not keeping a separate column in my log for barefoot miles, just making a notation each time I run them and a running total.   I'm curious what kind of mileage it takes to become a barefoot runner.  My feet are saying, "Not yet Mister!" lol

Chantilly... Good luck with the therapy and careful with the NSAID's

rmcj001

Chantilly - I'll second Rich's caution on the NSAIDs, but I think your already pretty cautious on those.  Good luck!!

adkkev - not sure which is worse, getting up early or braving the heat Wink

Art - Gotta love that forced convection to keep you cool.  Worst part of running on the dreadmill is no air flow, lately I pull out the fan and turn it on full blast.

Rich - ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.  Sorry it was a bad day, we all have those.  You'll feel better tomorrow.  If you don't have a foam roller it would be a wise investment.  They're good for other parts of the body too!

They're not official yet (a couple of more days) but Saturdays race I moved up to 7th overall and Sunday I finished 3rd in AG and 22nd overall.  Woman who finished right after me actually beat me by ~20 seconds.  Guess I got "chicked" Smile

Yesterday 7.3 @ 8:44 mpm.  Today 7.4 @ 8:44 mpm.  That's 12 days in a row for me, a new RA personal record...See if I can get the consecutive day mileage up to100 before taking rest day

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 7/17

7 miles on the highway this morning.  Ran the first mile with the shandals, then tossed 'em to the side of the road and continued on barefoot.   This was a 3.5 mile out and back, so the shandals were waiting for me at the start of mile 7.  And none too soon either, the bottoms of my feet were just starting to bleed when I got there. Tight lips  I think I'm beginning to understand why so few people run barefoot...lol

I did provided some entertainment for a few lucky drivers though, the dance I performed after stepping on a couple of rocks was at least as good as what you'd see on Dancing with the Stars...lol

So Ray, how to you get a Trigger Point to release?   The internet says to use pressure, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Anyway, today's 5 barefoot miles has me at 20 since I started doing this on July 2nd.

Oh yeah, I e-mailed Brooks and explained what I'd done with their racing flats to make a minimalist running sandal.   They politely thanked me and said they'd get back to me if they needed any further information.  You guys want my autograph now, or do you want to wait until after Brooks releases the "Shandal?"

Art in AZ

5 sweaty miles this morning. Felt good running even though it was humid. Wondering where the rain is that we were suppose to get.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

6 very sweaty miles this morning.

rmcj001

5.1 not very sweaty VERY slow miles in ~54 minutesSad

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 nice streak you've got going.

NH Runner when my calves get tight from minimalist shoes, I switch back to some regular-heeled shoes for a run or two.

Art in AZ do you get much rain there? I remember something about the drainage system for flash flooding?

adkkev some good miles there in spite of the humidity.

70+F here.

2 mile run. 1 mile walk. 1 hour yard work.

Possibly mowing the lawn tomorrow.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 7/18

4 miles easy on the railtrail.  I'm lucky to have the railtrail this time of year, between the river it follows and the shade it provides, it's a cooler place to run when it's hot.

Chantilly... I think running barefoot is what's causing my calves to tighten, from what I've read, they catch your weight each time you land and it's quite an added load compared to running in cushioned trainers.

Chantilly75

NH Runner  that's why I switch shoes. It changes the areas of stress on the feet and legs.  For example, I like Saucony Kinvara for races, but my calves get very tight if I wear them all the time.  So I have NB 1064's which are a pretty heavy regular heeled shoe and the Newton Gravity trainers, which seem to use different muscles than the Kinvara)

9 miles on the track... even though it was 6:00 AM, it was stuffy in there.

walked 2 miles outside.

2 mile run outside after lunch and walked 1 mile in the sunshine.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

6 more super sweaty miles this morning around town.  A decent breeze whenever I was heading in a westerly direction ... but I was still soaked by the time I got back home.  The temperature is very comfortable but the dew point is pretty high, so the humidity is nearly 100%.  But I do like getting my miles in the morning ... but evening running allows me to be open-ended about extending my distance if I'm "feeling it".  I'm limited on weekday mornings because I have to head out to work ... and I'm not going to get up any earlier than I am right now!!!