50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts, Week Ending 7/21/2013 (Read 8 times)

Art in AZ

Put in 4 miles this morning as I had a web class. Could tell it was warmer than yesterday.

Chantilly - The average yearly rainfall around here is 6 - 7 inches. But overall the last few years have been less so we are still in what they call drought conditions. It also depends on where you are sometimes. During the summer monsoon season it can rain an inch or more in an hour on one side of the valley and nothing on the other side. Flash flooding is a problem if we get a good thunderstorm come through and drop a lot of rain. Several years ago one of those thunderstorms came through here and dropped 3+ inches in a couple of hours. There was water and flooding everywhere. The drainage system couldn't handle the amount of rain we got. Luckily that doesn't happen to often.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 7/19

Parts of NH are forecast to hit 100 degrees today, with humidity, so I left the house at 6am for this morning's run.   7 miles on the highway in the new Altras I posted a link to the other day.  At 4.5 oz's, there's not much to 'em, but they work well enough so the hacked up Brooks Flats (shandals) are probably history.

Chantilly... I've been running in minimalist shoes for about 3 years now.  Brooks racing flats have about a 1/4 inch of heel lift, so they're a little more forgiving than barefoot and I was thinking that ought to be enough to lighten the load on my calves, but maybe not.   I'll just play it be ear for now and see where it goes.

adkkev

6.1 miles this morning around town, slightly different route but still mixed in some hills.  Well actually it's pretty hard to not mix in some hills!  Still pretty warm & humid ... supposed to be the hottest day of this "heat wave" - today will make six straight days with temps of 90 or more in Albany.

Rich - I run in Altra Torins ... unless I'm running on trails & then I run in my Montrail Masochists.  I've considered getting the Altra Lone Peaks for trail running but decided against it ... now I am considering getting a pair of Hokas for my trail running.  I just need to justify the price.  Although I've read some reviews where folks are getting 1000+ miles on their Hokas ... that would be awesome.

Chantilly75

rest day.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Hope your rest day was good!

Art - Web class?  Is that an online course?  Or, were you taking a class on web design/management?  glad you got your run in.

adkkev - Man those Hoka ones look like bricks!  I thought my frees were big! Wink

Rich - I don't consider my racing flats minimalist shoes, nor my frees.  If it has a mid-sole, personally, I don't think they qualify as minimalist.  I know the shoe manufacturers disagree.  The latest VFFs aren't as minimalist as the KOS and original VFF model.  But, hey, I'm grumpy old man already...Smile  Now, get off my lawn!

Thursday did 2.5 miles to company BBQ and then 4.5 miles on return to office.  Much harder running on a full stomach...

Friday 7.1 miles with temps around 85F - cooler then most of you, but still warm enough.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 7/20

5 miles on the railtrail this morning, pace was easy other than the last mile.   I like the way I feel when I'm running lately, now if I can get rid of the soreness brought on my sheddin my shoes, I'll be a happy camper.

Ray... the Brooks racing flats weigh 6 oz's and have maybe a 1/4 inch heel lift.   Compared to cushioned trainers, there's not much to 'em.   It was quite a transition when I made the switch away from conventional trainers, but I can't imagine going back.   And you're right, they're not minimalist when compared to zero drop shoes and for me, I'm halfway between where I was and where I want to be.

One of my daughter's friends told her the other day she saw me running by her place, then had to run to the other side of the house for a second look to make sure she'd seen what she thought she had.   Yup, Christine's Dad was running Barefoot!  lol

akdkev... so far, I love the feel of the Altras.

Art in AZ

5 miles yesterday. Nothing today as I started to do a few things around the house and you know how that goes.

Rich - So it looks like you've given up on Brooks using your idea. Smile I have not tried any other type of shoe than a stability style in a few years. When I did, my feet or legs would hurt. And I use whatever shoe I have as "the" running shoe. No trainers or racing styles. The minimalist shoe idea is interesting.

Ray - Yes, the web class was online. It used to be that vendors would hold in-person training when they introduced new stuff. But the past few years they have been cutting way back and doing "live" training via the web. You see the instructors as they teach and you can ask questions via a chat session. As in many things, some are better than others. This one was an excellent class and instructors.

adkkev - I like how you said "this" heat wave.

Sounds like all of us are experiencing similar weather. Are we ready for the fall yet?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

Saturday - rest day for me.   Big grin

NH Runner

Sunday, 7/21

10 miles this morning with a decent hill in mile 7.   Pace was easy except 5 X 100 strides in the last mile.

Two things Art... The people at Brooks are apparently a bunch of "Smarty Pants" much too sophisticated to take ideas from someone like myself who's intent on owning an island with lots of sand.  It's their loss...Big grin

And on a serious note, what distinguishes a minimalist shoe from a cushioned trainer is the lack of a heel.   The elevated, cushioned heel  designed into a modern running shoe forces you to land on your heel and that's not the way your foot was designed to run.

Take away that heel and you'll naturally start landing mid-foot.   However, you can't just toss your traditional trainers and take up running in minimalist shoes, your old shoes have caused your calf muscles and achilles tendons to shorten and it takes them a while to adjust to the new load.

That's it in a nutshell, one of the biggest changes I noticed when I switched was the added drive you get in your feet and lower legs.   I guess it's the increased leverage you get by freeing up your feet, but I'm no expert...Wink

Art in AZ

Started out on my run feeling the increased humidity from the rain last night. After about 2 plus miles I remembered I wanted to recycle some old equipment to the Boy Scouts Recycle Fest. So turned around so I could get there before they wrapped up at 10:00 AM. Got there at 9:30. So let's call it 4.5 miles.

Rich - I'll look at different shoes next time I am in the area of my running store.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Sorry, Art in AZ I am totally not ready for fall. Our winter was very long. But I can understand how you must feel in the heat.

NH Runner about the shoes, I find that the Kinvara are very flat feeling when I run, but on the other hand, the Newton's do not. I think the lugs in the fore-front of the Newton's force me to land on my fore-foot, whereas the Kinvara's do not have that guidance. I don't think I could get used to your shandals, so no sale here....but if you create some kind of  shandals brand t shirt I may be interested....Wink

rmcj001  barbeque sounds good.

7 miles yesterday

9 miles today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Art - Work sometimes paid for me to take classes and some of those could be taken remotely.  Was always weird when one of the remote people would ask a question and you were in the class. The bodiless voice coming in over the sound system took some time to get used to it...

Chantilly - You make me feel like such a slacker.  Nice runs!

Rich - Don't discount flexibility when looking at minimalist shoes.  My race flats are very stiff.  I have two sets of spikes, the older pair is about as stiff as my flats and my newer (relative term they're 25 years old now) much more flexible.  Ideally a minimalist shoe doesn't change your natural foot movement/reaction.  Heal drop and stiffness of the shoe both affect this. Even a very thin mid sole is going to alter what you feel and how you strike.

2 runs Saturday, 3.1 miles with dog and then 3 progressive miles on the treadmill.  Yesterday we had people over, so just got in a quick 2 miles (~16 minutes).  So, almost a rest day Smile

Ray

adkkev

nada for a run on Sunday for me but Lewis & Clark (my wife & I) managed to get some nice hiking miles in with a little unintended bushwacking along the way.  'twas a beautiful day for a hike!!!