50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2016 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

NH Runner

I get to be first this year, eh?   Here's wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year!

Friday 1/1/2016...Taking today off, but backing up to last Wednesday, I ended up running 4 miles on the railtrail.    We got about 5 inches of snow the previous day, so I wore a pair of trail running shoes with lots of tread to help with traction.    A 4 wheeled ATV had gone through ahead of me in the snow, as well as a couple of dog sled teams.    The dogs "relieve" themselves on the run and that can get tricky, so between that and the rough, slippery footing, I got in a workout, but took quite a few walk breaks.

Thursday, 12/31... was a 4 mile road run.    I wanted a little more, but too much snow still on secondary roads caused me to turn back after just 2 miles.    Splits were a little quick for the effort, but that was probably due to forcing myself to relax... 8:37, 8:23, 8:24 and 8:31

ray... 2015 was a heckuva year for you!    Are you planning on running Boston this year?    If so, there's your motivation to get out the door, April will be here before you know it!!

justrundan

Happy New Year friends.

Ray- nice 5K race; that Natalie is quite a runner!

DW & I spent NYE in La Crosse WI, where we had a great dinner at a nice restaurant, then watched fireworks at midnight shot from the high bluff that overlooks the Mississippi.  Beautiful.  We then drove through the city park along the Mississippi that has a light display that was amazing.

We both went out on a trail along the river and I finished 5.6 mi at a slow pace, most of it on the trail through some marsh area.  Saw one bald eagle as I was getting back to the park.  Wonderful day.  And at least for today, I'm ahead of the pace bunny! 

You all run safe in the new year.

Dan

Art in AZ

Happy New Year everyone.

5 mile run this morning to start off the year. Last year was a good year running wise for me. Thinking how much I plan on racing this year.

Rich - At least running in the snow you can see those "obstacles". I would think they contrast nicely against the white snow.

Dan - Sounds like you and the wife had a good time. And seeing a bald eagle during your run. I bet that put a smile on your face.

Ray - You had a good year and already looking ahead to this year. I'm sure Boston will kick your motivation up a couple of notches not that the holidays are over.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Crazy Diamond

*knock, knock*

May I come back in the club house?

It has been a long, long time.  2015 was a challenging year on many fronts, and I am looking forward to 2016!  I won't bore you with the details, mostly because I don't want to relive it!  I've been back to running with some consistency for the past 2 months.  Right now just looking  to get back into a routine, and building the foundation again.

Rich - Great work trudging through all the snow, and , eh, all the other stuff!  Frank Zappa comes to mind, "Watch out where the huskies go!"

Dan - LaCrosse is such a beautiful area to explore, and to see a bald eagle, too!  You have an excellent start to the year, and keep ahead of that pace bunny!

Art - Your 5 miles are a great "jump start" to your mileage for 2016.  I like your poem.  Wow, we have our own resident poet!

Happy New Year to all and a hearty hello to AZ, Chantilly, Fletch, and Ray (Boston!!!!). 

1/1 - 15 minutes on the elliptical, 40 minutes weight training and 20 minutes stretching.

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Debra- WELCOME BACK!

Dan

NH Runner

Saturday, 1/2... another 4 miler in the snow on the railtrail today.    A few snowmobilers had gone through and I thought they'd pack things down and improve the footing, but nope, it was still lousy...lol       Really didn't want to run the road due to the wind, so the trail it was.    Easy pace with walk breaks...

Dan... sounds like a great time in WI, good for you!

Art... yes, the "Land Mines" put down by the sled dogs were easy to see in the snow yesterday.     Thank goodness for small favors, eh? lol    Nice start to the new year....  (Edited because Art doesn't like being called Ray...lol)

Gito... you're back!!!  I remember you having difficulties and wondered how you were doing, it's good to see you're running again, good for you!     The Huskies made think of Tiny Tim and "Tiptoe Through The Tulips".

Crazy Diamond

Dan - Thanks for the welcome back!  I'm not superstitious in the least, but every time I wanted to start running and posting again, something else would happen. That's why I stayed away so long.

Rich - Thank you!  Great to see you are running so well.  We received 12" of snow last Monday after a very mild November and December.

The snow was mixed with sleet, freezing rain and hail which left a difficult mix to run on.  Sounds like you've got the same.  Able to run outside in shorts and long sleeve t shirts until last week!

1/2 - My 5 year "Run-iversary"!  To celebrate this momentous occasion, ran 3 miles and some change at the indoor track.  I hoped to run my original C25K route through our 'hood, but the sidewalks are a bit dangerous with rutted, frozen ice and snow.  Can't take the chance to wake the neuroma!

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Happy 2016 everyone!!!

Welcome back Debra! Hoping things continue to improve!

NHRich - Think you meant Art in your last message, tho I might have said what he said...  Good start to the new year!

Dan - Fireworks on New Years, cool!  Bald Eagle - even better!

Art - Good start to 2016 for you as well!  More races in the works?  That will feel good and do keep you on track.

I'm not sure how much motivation Boston will be itself, already qualified for 2017.  Not Doing poorly there will be my biggest motivation, just not sure that will be enough.  Plan right now is to do long runs this month every weekend of around 15 miles.  Bump those up a bit for Feb and March.  We'll see if that makes a difference.  Last couple of cycles have been light on the long runs.

So, 1/1 - no runs, but did do 10 mile hike.  Actually, did 11 mile hike on 12/31 followed by the TM run.

1/2, first long run for the new year 16.2 miles.  First run over 8 miles since CIM - legs are a bit tired and left knee is barking a bit.  Good run and weather warmed up to low 50's today.

Ray

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

Hey Deb!! How wonderful to hear from you!!  Sooo glad you're BACK!! Life happens and it can take up so much space but I'm sure 2016 will bring peace and new adventures for you.  Great way to celebrate!  If you read the last few posts from Dec., you'll catch up to what I've been struggling with .....RE: Knee issues which just happen out of nowhere!!  But somehow, someway, I made it through 2 trail races one week apart in Dec!!  Being stubborn headstrong has its good points, haha!

Ray:  Congrats on another great race finish!!  WOW!! 16+ miles ......way to go!! and darn it!! Knee issues .......tell me about it!! Those hiking miles do wake up sleeping muscles.  I've been doing a couple of miles of those in my snowshoes, around the fairgrounds.  Some awesome races on your schedule!! You'll rock Boston!!

Rich:  Yeah, running in the snow has it's challenges and going "slow" is still a good workout.  I wear my trail shoes still when I run in snow conditions but icy areas scare the heck out of me so it's good to take walk breaks.  You have been pretty consistent through the winter.  Great way to start the new year!!

Art:  So what/where do you think you may run your first race this year?  The weather in the valley has been really nice lately!!  DH and I will be back in AZ in Feb. so hoping the nice weather continues and I will be able to get some mtn trail running in (per Dr.'s permission, of course ).

Dan:  what a gorgeous and relaxing way to greet in the New Year!!  You and DW deserve a treat after all your long hours/days of a busy work schedule!  The trip sounds festive and you got a good run in too!!  yay!! Luckily for us, MN "has the 3rd largest Bald Eagle breeding population," behind Alaska and Florida.  DH sees quite a few of them on his drives to the 3 clinics he works in during the week.

DH's aunt drove up from SD to visit us, New Year's Eve till today.  She is about 67 yrs YOUNG!!  Retired after working for fed govt in Maryland and moved to SD to be near DD and grandkids.  It is so wonderful to have family (who we really like) celebrate 2016 with us!  We attended the annual NYEve's Masquerade Ballroom Dance Party.  DH worked all day so he was struggling to stay awake.  He usually schedules his surgery cases during the holidays when he has access to more operating rooms (O.R.) because most of the surgeons are on vacations.  We left the dance party around 11 pm.  Relaxed at home where he (and his aunt) stayed up to greet in 2016 and they bailed out on me at 12:10 am!! LOL!!  I stayed up another hour to text family/friends in AZ/NM time zone.  I did get in my annual New Year's Day 'run', actually more of a JOG. 5:1 for a mile, knee felt good during run and the day after. WHEW!!  We celebrated our wedding anniversary on New Year's Day as well as calling DD to relay Birthday Wishes to GD on her 3rd birthday!!    The rest days have really helped.  Doing core exercises at home.  Will re-start routine with elliptical and weights at gym this week.  It will be easier to call (tomorrow) to schedule Dr. appt than to do it online.  Staying optimistic.

NH Runner

Sunday, 1/3... tomorrow's forecast high is 16 degrees, so being the tough guy that I am, I hustled out the door in today's 40 degree weather to run so I wouldn't have to do it tomorrow...  Another 4 miler in the snow with walk breaks...

Gito... good on you, give that Neuroma a bunch of sleeping pills and if it even thinks about waking up, smack it with a hammer!!   3+ miles is good!

Ray... picky, picky...     I went back and edited my post so that Art doesn't get his feelings hurt.     You've logged some serious miles already in 2016, nice!

az... did I ever tell the story about running on the sidewalk in the dark during winter?     As I crossed the small parking lot of one of those Jiffy Marts, a car pulled up and gunned the engine to take off just as I got in front of him.    The only thing that saved me was the slippery conditions, his tires spun as I had my left hand on his hood for balance as I scrambled to get past.     That was the last time I ever assumed a driver had seen me...lol      Sounds like your knee's calming down, that's great news!

Crazy Diamond

Ray - Thanks you.   16 miles is certainly one way to start the new year and training for Boston!

AZ - Thanks so much!  I really missed reading about everyone's activities and race reports.  So sorry to read about the knee problem.  I don't recall knee pain being an issue for you before. Is this something you've dealt with previously? Hope you get some answers.  Congratulations on your 1st in AG in your last race!  Loved reading the race reports, you dealt with all of those negatives in true AZ style!

Rich - Deciding to run in 40 degrees today v. predicted 16 degrees tomorrow ... BRILLIANT!  Have you gotten any cross country skiing in this winter?

1/3 - 2.5 miles at the indoor track after the family went to see the new Star Wars movie.  Sons had already seen it opening weekend.  Both our boys and nephews loved the movies and action figures growing up.  Enjoyed it, and it brought back a lot of memories of seeing the originals all those years ago!

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Debra- all out kids/spouses have seen the new Star wars also, some twice!  Not sure if DW & I will go or not.  Nice use of that ice skating

rink!

AZ- DW is jealous of all the ball room dancing you and DH do!  She married someone with 2 left feet.  Take care of that knee.

Ray-  nice way to start the new year, good hikes and a 16 miler!  You take care of that knee too!

Rich- yes, 40 degrees is a great temp for an outdoor run.

Country roads still covered with packed snow/ice, so 3 easy miles on the TM this evening.

Dan

Art in AZ

5 miles Saturday morning before doing a bunch of stuff in and out of the house. End/beginning of year cleaning to get rid of junk,..err unused stuff so we can make room for more.

3 mile hike with a couple of the grandsons up a hill in the park this morning. Everybody must have decided to hike today also. It was the busiest I've ever seen it. I'm sure the nice weather had nothing to do with it.

Debra - Glad to see you're back and doing well. Hopefully 2016 will be a good year for you. You'll be back to your routine in no time. Saw the Star Wars movie also. I enjoyed it and it was nice to see some of the original characters but I felt it copied Episode 4 too much. And some parts were stretching things, like Rey doing 'mind tricks' and handling the light saber like a pro.

Rich - I'm gone a couple of days and you forget about me like that.  Wise choice to run in the warmer weather before it gets that low. Brrr!

Ray - Off to a big start. Looking at getting something in this month. Even if it is a short race.

AZ - Sounds like the knee is improving a little. Nice easy pace is probably a good idea. Looking to do something this month if I can. Any Feb. plans down this way?

Dan - Even though the roads are not cooperating, at least the treadmill is convenient. And it is warmer inside.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

I'm 'running' vicariously through everyone's post!! Gosh, I don't know how RUNNING a mile feels like anymore, boo-hoo.  So I'm cycling on my trainer 5-10 min/day, slowly but I don't like the achy feeling I get later in the evening.  I noticed it feels fine after some slow easy snowshoeing but a few minutes of knee massage calms it down ........"thank you very much" to DH.    A beautiful sunny day here today, perfect for a trail run but I'm staying patient.  I have an appt TOMORROW with Dr. Yikes!

Deb:  I had arthroscopic knee (right) surgery back in 1995, I think it was for a torn meniscus or cartilage.  Rehab was excellent.  Was told that I will most likely need one for left knee but so far, no problem with left knee.  Most of my 'injuries' with right knee was from playing basketball in HS and college. Didn't really run competitively till my 30s although I ran to stay in shape.  Most of my running, even then, was dirt trail running. Oh, forgot to mention and it has to be critical: I slipped on ice/snow/slush on a trail run during a beautiful winter day in northern AZ mtns about 5 yrs ago.  That fall is where I 'pulled' something and it would get swollen after every run thereafter.  Still ran a couple of trail HMs though (pre-registered) but opted out of a FM to let it heal for about 3 months. Since then, I almost always wore a wider knee support for stability on all my runs. I think running the Durango Double (in CO) this past Oct, especially the tough technical trail course, gave a rude awakening to my  knee and it didn't take much for it to get 'torn/strained' last month. That's my theory.

Did I miss everyone's mileage from 2015?  Any particular 2015 race stand out?  Any new goals for 2016?

I thought I got more miles in 2015 than 2014 but it wasn't much, oh well.  My total miles for 2015:  1245.5.  Taking a wrong turn while running my first 50k (31 miles) and ending up running almost 40 miles instead kinda 'helped.'  LOL!!   Running my first ultra (in WA state, July) was my biggest running/racing accomplishment for 2015!!  Then the 'back to back' HM in Oct., the Durango Double: HM trail race on Sat, then HM road race Sun.  That was pure mental toughness and it was in awesome territory!

Crazy Diamond

Dan - Wise move running the 3 miles on the TM.

Art - Sounds like a nice weekend of running and hiking.

AZ - ULTRA!?!?!  Going to have to look up that race report!  Thinking of you, and hoping all goes well at your appt. tomorrow.

2015 mileage - around 175

Memorable 2015 races -  didn't run any races last year, but volunteered at a few.

Goals for 2016 -  continue running consistently, build a nice base of miles and  hopefully stay injury free.

1/4 - 15 minutes on the elliptical, 40 minutes weights, planks, bridges and lots of stretching.

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?