50 and over 5k and beyond

November Runs and Workouts (Read 19 times)

Chantilly75

gito57 Nice run at the track. Cider and caramel apples would be a treat.

az2mntrail That sounds like good running weather, there. Have fun at the party.

NH runner Did you have your grandchildren trick or treating at your place? It would be fun for you to attend your grand-daughter's track meets.

rmcj001 You've gotten in a lot of running.  Hope your race goes well. (congrats to the Giants)

justrundan Good luck at your race.

sluggo Hope you have a good running month.

Exhausted this morning and had to push myself out the door.  Found motivation at the track in the form of the Triathlon group doing brick workouts, so I couldn't let them show me up too badly.

Had to keep running until they had all left, so 10 miles done.

yesterday & tomorrow =work/rest

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 11/1... got rained out today, so a complete day off.    We're forecast for snow showers tonight, I can hardly wait...

Chantilly... yes, my granddaughter stopped by last night for goodies.    We live in town, but far enough out that we don't have a lot of kids stopping by on Halloween night.    I really enjoy seeing the costumes, more kids would suit me just fine.   Nice workout today!

Ray... good luck with Monday's race, but take it easy, eh?    I think you like living one the edge...

gito... I tried to find info on Desi's training lately, but couldn't find anything.   She never ran with the leaders at Boston this year, but still ran a solid race, a 2:23 I think.    She's the kind of runner you hope does well and I'll be cheering for her tomorrow too.

Saturday: 10.2 miles; on paved state trail; about 40 degrees; feels 30; 16mph; SUNNY. Cold, dull earache from Thursday's run so wore a balaclava. Was glad I did as wind picked up. Good run, mostly by myself along the trail.  Miles last week: 35.2.  Oct. miles: 138.4, YAY!!

Sunday (today): 6 miles; around neighborhood and dirt road around fairgrds; about 49 degrees, feels 45; 12 mph; partly sunny, NICE!

NH Runner

Sunday, 11/2... if you watched the NYC marathon today, you know the weather was brutal.   40 degree temp with 20 / 25 mph wind and gusts to 40 mph.     Temp when I headed out at noon today for 6 miles on the railtrail was 37 degrees with the same winds the marathoners were dealing with.    Wooded areas along the  railtrail cut down on the wind some, but conditions were just plain lousy.    I wasn't concerned about pace, just wanted a decent effort.    Last week's miles were 30 & Oct's total was 132.    I'd like to maintain about 30 a week over the winter and stay injury free, then start ramping up next spring.   These latest form changes seem to be working towards that end, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

az... you're doing well running in the cold, good stuff the last couple of days!

I'm taking the trike back to the welding shop tomorrow and once that's done, it's headed for a test ride on the railtrail.    It's still a work in progress, but ready for it's maiden voyage...

justrundan

2014 Rails to Trails Half Marathon
            Sunday, November 02, 2014

Dan Sessler

Age 61
            Gender M
            Bib # 5437
            Overall Place 213
            Age Group Place 7 M 60-69
            Gun Time 02:13:11.4
            Chip Time 02:11:58.3
            Pace 10:04

Here are the cold hard facts.  Hopefully the subjective RR tomorrow after I get a good nights sleep!  

Dan

WDWRich

Dan - Well done in the HM!  Is that a PR?

AZ and NH - Sounds as if things are really cooling down in your areas.  Keep up the good work nonetheless.

Halloween has come and gone.  Time to start thinking about Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday meal).

My alarm went off at 0530 Saturday morning to get me out of bed for my run, but these strange water droplets were falling from the sky in large quantities.  Oh, now I get it- that was rain!  We just haven't seen any here in San Diego in months.  Turned over and went back to sleep.  Got up Sunday at the same time (though a bit easier due to the time change) and got in 7.6 miles with a good hill at mile 6.  Conditions were great- clear sky and 51 degrees.

Happy November everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly~Thanks for getting us going for November. Great job pushing yourself out the door to get the 10 miles done!

NH Runner~So happy the form changes are working for you,  Nice weekly mileage and fantastic monthly total for October!

AZ~You had some nice, strong running over the weekend, esp. with the high winds.

Dan~Congratulations on your HM finish!  PR, right ???  Hope you post race evening was restful, and can't wait to read all about the tunnel run.

WDWRIch~Yay!!! about the rain!  Nice run you had there.

Saturday -  SRD, but lots of sprinting on the course of the State XC Championship.  DH and I, along with DS2 and some teammates drove to north-central Wisconsin to cheer on DS's high school teams(boy & girls).  What a treat to witness great running by the state's best runners/teams.  Our teams did well, boys took first place in their division with a fantastic score of 33.  Celebration dinner after with the team, coaches and tired parents.  Good times!

Sunday - 8 miles on the hilly bike path, with the last 1.5 miles at hmp.  Ran the last  mile up the long quarry hill.  Weather was nice, partly-sunny at 50F, SW 15 mph wind, but sheltered by the tree line.

Today - Plan says 5 easy miles with 5 hill repeats.  Waiting for it to warm up a little.

Quo Vadis?

sluggo

John

Hello all,

Sounds like you are all off to a good start this month.

I am figuring that I will get some incentive to put my shoes on more often if I post once in a while. Today might be my first time out this month. I took today off work as a relief to the 6 and 7 day work weeks. I was feeling a bit exhausted.

NH Runner, do you live anywhere near Nashua? I went there last night to check out the curling club. I curled for many years and quit because the drive took too long. Nashua is about an hour from me, so even though curling would be fun, the drive is still a show stopper.

If it makes a difference. It looks like a nice club. Three sheets, which is pretty good for around here, and the ice was good. Dues are cheap too, $225 for once a week, now through March.

Stop by if you have any interest, they are forming teams now and I suspect they would welcome a new member. I have an email contact if you want it.

John
                  www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

rmcj001

Chantilly - Gotta find the motivation where you can.  Nicely done getting the runs in.

NHRich - Way to get out there in spite or the weather!  When's the video of your trike coming?

Az - Nice 10 miler!  You're going to do well in your marathon!

Dan - Whoohoo!  Nicely done!  PR by almost 2 minutes?  Can't wait for RR.

WDRich - Good to hear the rain covered the whole state.  Rain came just in time for WS parade in SF and continued into Sat. here. Good to see it, you know we need it!

Debra - XC race sounds like fun!  Only sport where the viewers need to be in almost as good of shape as the participants!  Nice run on Sunday!

Sluggo - if putting it in print makes you do it, great!  The more the merrier...Get out there and run!  Don't forget to let us know how it went.

Saturday, Zoom Halloween 5m, got up and drove down to Los Gatos Creek Park.  It was still raining a bit, but pretty much over.  Things weren't as cool as I'd hoped, but not bad - somewhere around 60F.  Air was clear with that nice fresh rain smell.  Grabbed my number and then figured I better warm up.  Uh, oh - hip, glute and hamstring just didn't feel right and was starting to think of packing it in and heading home.  Tried a couple of different stride changes and realized if I lifted my knee a little higher things didn't hurt!  Spent a few more  minutes making sure things weren't so bad until they called us over for the start.  I lined up in the second row and took off when RD said go.  First 1/2 mile was a pretty quick pace, can't say how fast 'cuz I purposefully didn't take my watch - didn't want to know how fast or slow I was going so I wouldn't be tempted to push beyond what I felt.  I got passed by a couple of runners in this phase, one an 11yo, then a little later (closer to mile 1) by a tall 20 something guy.  In mile 2 we had to navigate some puddles that took up most of the trail.  No one is passing me and I've lost contact with the pack that was in front of me.  Getting close to the turn around a woman is out front about 30 seconds in front of the 11yo, I tell him to go get her.  Next comes the guy who passed me around 1 mile.  I hit the turn around and I'm about 30-40 seconds ahead of the next group.  At this point, I'm thinking leg is holding up and it just needs to hold for a bit longer and can I catch that guy.  This part is downhill and as I hit the 3-4 mile mark where the large puddles are, there is no sign of anyone ahead.  Ok, I've got a good lead and not going to catch anyone.  Is it worth killing myself to go faster?  The mind is saying "no" and the body is saying "you're not dead yet", so I try to pick up the pace.  Somewhere in the last 1/2 mile a blue heron flies over me fairly low, circles and flies over me going the other way - pretty close, maybe 15 feet above me and I slow down just a bit to gape.  I can't see anyone ahead and I'm refusing to look back and try to increase my speed.  I can see the line and try to get that last sprint in.  As I approach the finish line I can see the clock and its saying 35:55, 56, 57, 58 and I'm giving it everything I can to keep that first number 35, I cross the first mat and it clicks to 36:00 second mat 36:01...Good for 4th of about 80 overall, 3rd male and 1st AG.  They post the results and the order Guy was 1st, just 3 seconds ahead of 11yo and 30 seconds ahead of the woman (who was 3 1/2 minutes ahead of me).   Accomplished most of my goals and the leg held up, so all in all a really good day!

Sunday, 2 mile walk on TM followed by 2 mile run and then another mile walk.  right leg feels better then it did before the race, so hopefully I'll be able to get some good miles in this week.

Ray

WDWRich

Ray - Nice job on the 5 miler.  My days of running at that pace are long gone I think.  Yes, the rain is most welcome.  Hope we see more soon!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Ray:  sounds like a tough run but way to hang in there to the finish!! Some races are just to get a good fast run in and not hurt ourselves. Keeping in mind to stay healthy, you did awesome!! CONGRATS on the AG finish time and 3rd in male!! WOW!! The younger runners always do fantastic in short distances; the recent 5k here had many 10, 11, 12 yr olds finishing on top!! What FM were you running in, when?

Dan:  same question here:  that's a PR, right?  You did great!! Waiting for the RR.

WDW:  Love the extra hour and rainy days can be comforting to sleep in.  Glad you had the welcome moisture!  Good job on the 7+ miles with the hill!  I miss those .

Sluggo:  having other activities sometimes interfere with getting some runs in; hope you find some time for more running this month.  Interesting game: curling. Very popular here in northern MN and I actually enjoyed watching it during the past two Olympics ..........much more than watching golf (sorry golf lovers), LOL!!

Deb:  that is the way to celebrate!! Congrats to son's team first place finish!! YIPPEE!!  Great 8 miler to continue the celebration!  DH loves Halloween and he dressed up as Captain America (don't want to know how much that cost  ).  He loves to dance so use your imagination, LOL!! I didn't wear a costume; I was the designated driver and curfew boss, LOL!!  Total kill joy.  After all, I HAD to run on Saturday! Priorities!! 

Realized this morning that I have run 4 days in a row ......... thus, the 'achey' and tight calves since last night.  They are screaming for some recovery time so REST DAY for me today.  Been foam rolling and stretching every post-run.  DH massaged my quads/hamstrings yesterday ......should have focused on the calves instead.  Anyway, it's a bummer that I'm resting when it's such a NICE day today; hardly a breeze, about 45 degrees, cloudy.  Can only happen to me!    My running days seem to be on WINDY days!! Geeezzz!!    Might still get in a short bike ride.  Happy Monday everyone!!

sluggo

John

It looks like you are all doing great. Congrats.

I just now got in my 2 mi. Next opportunity is Thu.

Forecast is rain and a bit chilled. I HATE STARTING a run in the rain. If the rain starts after I am going, no problem. At least my club has a standing casual 5K every Thu night - followed by pizza. That could help.

John
                          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

NH Runner

Monday, 11/3... two workouts today, first was a 3 mile railtrail ride on the homemade trike followed by a 7 mile run.    The wind was still blowing today, so I didn't run against the watch, just wanted a decent effort.   The trike is a success!   Mechanically it held up fine, but the rider got his butt kicked by the soft sand, I definitely got the upper body workout I was after...    Tomorrow's the Tuesday group run and I'm going to show the trike off to that bunch, maybe in the process I can con one of 'em into recording me riding the thing.

Dan... excellent run in the half, your pace was darn good!   Congratulations!

WDWRich... Saturday's rain must have been music to your ears!   Nice run Sunday!

gito... I'm 2 months back running after a 3 month lay-off, so I'm happy with my mileage.   Sounds like a great time at the races, good for you!    I'm curious, what training plan are you following, is it for a half marathon?    Nice workout Sunday!

Sluggo... I'm about 90 miles North and West of Nashua, so traveling there on a weekly basis is probably out.   I've also watched curling during the Olympics and it's fun to watch, but that's my only exposure to the game.    Good luck in your effort to become a consistent runner, your body will thank you with better health, a higher energy level and quality of life if you succeed.   I promise...

Ray... congrats on your race, that's a fast 5 miles for someone feeling less than 100%!     I decided today the trike is a keeper, so a movie of epic proportions is in the making...

az... don't forget, rest days are important too...

Crazy Diamond

Sluggo~There you go, you are on your way to a great November with the 2 miles.  Cold rain is crummy, but pizza is yummy!  Hope  the rain holds off and you can get out there with the club.

Ray~Congratulations on your 5 mile race!  You did a great job moderating the discussion between the 'mind' voice and the 'body' voice.

AZ~Hope the rest, foam rolling and stretching helps loosen up the calves.  DH as Captain America ... priceless!

NH Runner~Nice double workout today!  Enjoy the group run and showing off the bike. Great to hear the adjustments helped.  Would bigger tires help through the sand?  I'm using a HM plan from "Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon" by Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald.  I'm training for a January indoor half marathon.  It has me running 6 days a week. I have planned for adjustments if needed.

Overcast skies, but warmed up to 55F with a SW 12 mph wind.  Ran 5 miles along the river parkway, then 5 hill repeats to finish up.  Lots of runners, cyclist and dog walkers out today.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Nana_

Chatilly.... Nice 10-miler, wow did you do that on a track? or near a track?

NH.... a day of is good for the rest, repair, recover. Hope your weather is improving but still sounds windy and cold. Trike sounds fun

AZ.... I like those train runs, stay warm, glad you took a rest day (or bike day?)

Dan....Impressive HM, congrats to you!

WDWRich....Nice change to get rained out

Gito....fun time watching the teams, and nice workouts there for yourself.

Sluggo...welcome back to lacing up. Work exhaustion can be a real concern. 2-miler is good, and pizza is fun

Ray...congrats on your 5-miler, wow on your pace!

I'm glad I made it back here.

I took 2 weeks off completely after my HM.

Then went on a vacation cruise. Took no elevators, only stairs. Every time I left the room I got lost, so lots of lots of walking (canceled out by lots of eating, desserts, dinners, etc.)   Nothing like carb'ing up after 2 weeks no exercise.

I did jog a few days on the ship so that was kind of a warmup week.

I've eliminated my walk breaks and added in a 4th day running to my previous 3 days/ week training.

And adding Bike 2 days a week.

And I'm back to really short-duration workouts. I'm enjoying the change!

12 weeks until second HM (pre-paid but may forego)

This 12-week training cycle

1- Weight Loss - I need to lose 20 pounds

2- Eliminate Walk Breaks

3- Not ramp up much on the long runs

Yesterday 15 mins

This morning 20 mins

Tomorrow is Bike day again for me

Good runs and good weather to all