50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Crazy Diamond

Boston, my heart breaks for you.  Peace.

Quo Vadis?

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Crazy Diamond

Thanks MaryKay.  I had DS print it since I'm not on FB.  Several LRSs have scheduled group runs the next few evenings and I've signed up for Thursday eve.

Yesterday, sunny and clear at 48F, brisk NW wind for my 5 mile run on the bike path.  Many runners wearing Boston blue and yellow.  A sadness certainly passed between us as we greeted each other.  Everyone I know who was running Boston is safe and back home. Bittersweet for a team mate of DS1 from HS X-country and track.  Third trip to Boston, last year dropped out at mile 16 because of the heat.  Ran a PR of 2:33.  We run at the same indoor track so I've witnessed the dedication that goes into getting a time like that.  So proud of him.

Run strong friends.

Quo Vadis?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hello everyone! I've not had the time to catch up with writting on this thread, I mostly post on the weekly run thread, but I have kept reading your comments and reports and it is very inspirational to see how you all do and the interesting details of races and all. Everyone at this forum has been very encouraging and I could use some support now because I fell and spained my wrists and will be taking a break from running until I get better.  I placed a more detailed account of my accident on the weekly runs thread for last week.

I can't compare my problems to the tragedy at the Boston Marathon. It is tough to qualify for the Boston and all those who run it are to be looked up to as positive role models for all of us. To see these people attacked for no reason is very disturbing. I hope they find out who did this and stop them from further terrorism. My grandfather ran in an early Boston Marathon and I have some hopes of qualifying and running one myself one day, so this tragic event effects me on a personal level. Senseless violence does not make for a better world, it is positive actions which help people that make this a better place..

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Same here.

Hi everyone!  Been reading but not posting as I haven't run since last Wed.  I grieved like everyone else for the lost of lives and prayed for the injured upon hearing about the tragedy in Boston.  I watched the elite runners take off, and checked in on the race throughout the morning while I worked and all of a sudden, "breaking news" came on.  I was stunned!

The weather calmed down yesterday, about 35 degrees, hardly a breeze and planned on running about 6 miles but I kept running till I ran 10.5 miles, and the breeze picked up, and it started to sleet.  Thought I might rest today but I didn't feel as sore as I thought I would be, thanks to my smarter post run recovery!!  And storm "Yogi" is expected to hit tomorrow into Friday so I thought I better run before the weather got crappy again.  It was about 32 degrees, snowing lightly all morning, turned to sleet when I headed out the door, light breeze till the last 2 miles but made it, 7 miles!! Put dog on leash, jogged another 1/2 mile to mailbox and back.  So two days in a row!!  On the home front, DH is recovering well, back at work where he was missed, that's nice! Smile  I feel better 'leaving' him for AZ this Saturday.  Will be running as much as possible on mt. trails.  Will travel to NM for HM on May 4th.  Praying for ideal weather!  I'm great at whining about the weather here so I bet you all can't wait for me to do the same when I'm in the heat of AZ, Joking

Altair:  OH NO!! that must have been a pretty good fall, ouch!! I feel bad that you will be sidelined but praying you'll heal soon!!

gito57:  I wore a marathon shirt yesterday but couldn't see it because I had to wear my jacket over it.  But many drivers slowed down and waved at me.  That was unusual but I would like to think it was their way to let me know their sadness of what happened.  I needed to connect with other runners around the country as well.

rmcj001

I will echo you and AZ on this one.  I will never fully understand this type of violence - it makes no sense.

Altair - heal quickly! Smile  You won't lose much in a week - 5% is the number I hear.  Definitely walk and then when you're up to it run with the wrist brace, it will give you a little confidence Smile

AZ - Good to hear DH is better.  Glad you're running again!

Pescadero Artichoke Half Marathon Sunday 4/14/2013

Woke up and checked weather for Pescadero - 50F no wind !  Sounded to good to be true.  Got wife and son up and we headed over the hill for our 9AM start time.  We arrived about 8:40 and headed over to pick up our numbers.  Very little breeze at this point.  Pescadero is tiny town very close to the Pacific and a light breeze is great, cuz the winds can be quite nasty along the coast.  Headed back to the car to pin our numbers on and stay warm.  The headed back to the start.  Everyone was milling around and no one really clear on where the start is.  The race is a 10K and a Half and there are about 250 people all together.  I locate an official and ask where the start is and he says "right here", but the race director is out marking the course and the race will start when he gets back.   Uh, oh!  At this point the wind has picked up a bit, so we find a sheltered spot in the sun and start waiting.

At about 9:20 the race director returns.  Everyone heads over to the start where he informs us that they will be starting the 10K first and then 10 minutes later the half. We turn around and other people have grabbed our warm spot!  The 10K gets started.  We head back over to the start area and try to use other people to block the wind.  Race director returns and gives us verbal instructions for the course and then at 9:39 he says "GO!".

The breeze is pretty stiff now, but seems to be at our backs.  We make a right turn and head down the main road through town and after about 3/4 of mile hang another right.  Wind still seems to be at our backs.  Hit the first mile marker and I start to pick up the pace a bit and trying to catch runners ahead.  I'm slowly passing people as we get to mile 2 (a couple), mile 3 (couple more).  At mile 4 I finally pass a guy who has a little too much up and down to his stride - but admittedly he still moving pretty well.  Now we can see the leaders in the half as they've obviously hit the first of 2 turn around points.  First 2 guys are way out in front.  Here come 3 and 4, 4 is my son!  Cool!  Take my first of 2 Gu's.  Hit the turn around at mile 5 or so, no longer seem to be making progress on the clump in front of me.  And now we have a headwind.  I'm leaning into the wind, but it ain't helping.  Another runner goes by me and I try to use him as a wind break.  That works for about 1/2 mile and then the slope gets to me and I lose contact.  At mile 6 we make a right turn and get out of the wind.  The course was described as flat, but we've had a couple of good ups and down and now we're really into a rolling section.  There appear to be a couple of people who've dropped back a bit and I slowly move up on them.   I catch a couple around a bridge, but really want to get to the next group.  I'm closing the gap again.  Now we see the leaders again.  I'm yelling encouragement and letting them know where they stand in the race.  Son has dropped to 5th at this point.  We are on pretty windy road at this point and I'm trying to pick the shortest lines and may account for me making progress on people ahead, who aren't.  At mile 8 or so we hit the 2nd turn around.  I'm no longer gaining, but don't think I'm losing ground either.  Around mile 9 a young woman passes me.  I take my 2nd gu.  Just before mile 10 we come back out of the canyon road and I give my empty gu to the guy manning the water station.  Now the headwind is brutal.  Up to this point I've been averaging about 8:15 miles, now I can tell I'm slowing and a second woman passes me around 10.5.  I'm just trying to not lose ground.

I can see them and they're catching a guy who was part of the pack I've been chasing and the pack has dispersed.  Just passed 11 the 2 women are slowing up and I'm getting closer.  Between mile 11 and 12 the road turns left and we've been running on the right.  The guy cuts the turn and I lose site. The 2 women stay on the right.  I start cutting the turn and make up a lot of ground.  Coming around the turn the guy has taken off and I can't see him any more.  I pass up the 2 women and am trying to pick up the pace a bit.  Before we hit the head wind I had thoughts that I might be able to better my PR, but now I was just hoping to hit 13.1 in under 1:50.  We finally get to the turn back to the main road into town.  I know the race is longer then 13.1 so when my watch hits 13.11, I hit the lap timer (1:49:18).  I can see the finish at this point.  Another runner goes by me, he's moving really well and he asks me how I'm doing.  I answer fine and realize I'm able to talk easily and start to hit the gas.  He's going faster, but I'm no longer losing ground as we make the final turn.  I'm doing as much of sprint as I can and moving reasonably well as I cross the line in 1:51:34 (by my watch).  They grab the strip from my number, hand me a medal and water.  Son come up and asks how I did and say "ok".  He ended up 6th.  I sit down for a sec and realize I'm freezing and head back to the car to get clothes.  Wife finished before I got back and she and son have their artichokes already.  I go back and grab my artichoke and a bigger water.  We stop and ask a nice younger gentleman if he'll take our picture - he does.  Headed back to the car and Half Moon Bay for some food.

Some stats:  Averaged about 8:15 for first 10 miles, next 3.1 8:44/mi and 7:50 for final .3 mile.  Mind and body didn't mind the ups and downs as much as the wind.

Ray

WDWRich

Ray- Well done!  Great race report!

Altair- Bummer on the wrist injuries, but you'll be back in stride soon.

AZ- Glad DH is doing better.  I'm sure it helps to run with less of that concern on your mind.

Planning a 5k maintenance run today and perhaps a 9 miler on Saturday, but feeling like a cough and sore throat might be coming on.  Just have to wait and see how I feel when I get home from work later today.

Happy running everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Altair - So sorry to hear you are mending! Heal fast!!

Rich - Good runs!

Ray - Great race report and Awesome job on your run and time!!! Amazing time!! I like that the you picked up the pace when you realized you could talk. That's the kind of thought process I would have had. If you're over 55, you're very close to BQ time, if not there.

Debra - Glad you got out and ran! Bet it felt great!!

Speaking of Boston:

Run strong and safe!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Crazy Diamond

Good morning Mighty Masters!

Mary Kay~Thanks for posting the pic.  This event becomes more bizarre and frightening by the moment.  Prayers for the safety of all law enforcement and innocent people in the area.  I hope they apprehend this guy fast.

Rich~Hope you are feeling better and can get in the 9 miles this weekend.  Allergies, perhaps???

Ray~Excellent race report and congrats on a fantastic HM to you, DW & DS!  I loved reading about your strategy during the race.  Artichokes--yum!  It's great when a race integrates a local product.  In my neck of the woods, it's cheese and beer!

AZ~So glad DH continues his recovery, and thumbs up on your 2 in a row!  Safe travels to Arizona and enjoy the final weeks of training before your HM.Big grin

Altair~So sorry to read about the injuries from your fall. Sad Great advice from Ray, get out and walk when you can.  Re:  potential loss of fitness,  After some unplanned rest days I've had some significant advances in endurance and speed.  Rest up, take care and keep us updated on your progress.

Dan~How's the training going?  Did you see the race t-shirt design for DC?

Anyone racing this weekend?  Run strong friends!!

Quo Vadis?

Art in AZ

Just a quick hi.

Mary Kay - like the picture.

Altair - Hope your wrists heal soon. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy some walks.

AZ - Glad things are looking up. Two weeks to your half.

Ray - Good job on the race and nice report.

Rich - May the sick feeling be just that, a feeling.

Debra - Couple of weeks to your half.

5K run for me next Saturday.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Mary Kay- thanks for the pic.

Altair5- sorry about the injury; watch for small fracture, sometimes takes a while to show itself in the wrist.

AZ2MN- So glad DH is feeling better. It will make is so much easier for you to head to the southwest.  Enjoy running your trails, away from the snow!

Ray- fantastic race and great race report!

Debra-I did see the t-shirt design, looking forward to earning it!  This has been a tough week for training; after Monday I was just so bummed that it sapped my energy. That, and work/life got even more chaotic for most of the week.  Just 2 short runs T&Th, but today got in 8.4 miles on TM. (33 degrees, 25 mph winds and  snow squalls made the road less than inviting.)   Was able to run at decent pace; that will probably be my long run for the week, too much to do over the weekend.  Shorter runs next week, but some speed and hills, hopefully.  This time next week I will be studying the long range forecast for Sister Bay very closely!  Surprised

Dan

Dan - Nice TM work! Life happens!! Been doing the same, cutting runs short. Hoping it will only make us stronger for race day! Ran out in the wind today and am nursing a cold already. Staying in can be a very wise choice!!

Well, I am relieved the second bomber is in custody. Hopefully that will be all and the healing can begin. Was trying to find a way to run Boston next year. Hope they open more charity spots! Local store is having shirts made that say Cincinnati Runs With Boston and I like the design and message on other shirts a lot more. Oh well.

Run strong and safe!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Crazy Diamond

Mary Kay~Feel better, and sorry about the wind.  The wind was so cold coming off Lake Michigan today -- not fun for running.  I was hoping to receive the Adidas/Boston shirt to wear for my HM in a couple weeks, but it's on back order.Sad

Dan~Nice job getting in the miles on the TM. Big grin After the less than ideal Spring weather we've dealt with so far, I said to my DH, "Just watch the temps shoot up to 70 degrees for the HM!"  I hope not, but we'll deal with it.  Enjoy the decreased mileage the next couple of weeks.

Art~All the best running the 5k next week.  Run strong friend!Smile

Ran a 12.2 mile LSD out and back on the bike path this morning in 2:09.  Way too fast for a training run for me.  I should be around 11:15 - 11:30 pace.  It was so difficult finding my pace running into the wind on the 6 miles coming back with some bone-chilling gust of 25 mph.  Should have opted out for tights instead of capris, but oh well!  Thermal 1/2-zip and gloves kept me fairly comfortable.  Using only 1 Hammer Apple Cinnamon gel at 7.5 mile mark has been working well for me.  I'll go with it for fueling during the HM along with 2 water stops and 1 Gatorade stop.  Crazy, busy week ahead getting ready for DS2's confirmation ceremony and family celebration next weekend, but will try to fit in 3 - 4 days of easy running to keep me balanced.

Have a great week everyone, and RUN STRONG!

Quo Vadis?

Debra - Fantastic time and a great run!!! Especially with the chilly headwind! Awesome job!! You are so ready!! Check out pix of London runners. Many made Boston strong a part of their bibs and shirts. It was impressive! It's a good thing yo are so ready bc family events have a way of taking a lot out of us!! Hope it turns out beautiful. Buy! Peace of mind is priceless!! Get kidz to help! Don't sweat the small stuff. They will love you no matter what!!

Training plan said 6-8. To avoid yesterday's mishap of running out of real estate and legs bc of poor planning, I drove the course to ensure it was long enough. Didn't a local patrol car attach itself to me and pull me over? My license and tags are still in PA. It's borderline legal. Evidently I forgot to renew my registration, too. I was sweating buckets. For some unknown reason, he chose to give me a warning !!! Maybe the running gear, Mylar blanket and empty water bottles saved my ass? Who knows?? Soooo lucky!!! Had that happened in Philly, they would have taken the car and stranded me with $300++ worth of tickets.

Run strong and safe, my friends!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

justrundan

Mary Kay- hope you got in that run after getting the warning! Surprised  Very nice of him to give you the warning.  Sometimes we catch a break, right!

Deb- wow, nice "LSD"!   I'm not keeping up with you at that pace. Big grin  Great time with the wind and all.  You're right, enjoy the reduction over the next 2 weeks.  I'm starting to get kind of antsy and excited about 5/4!  I"m gonna be looking at the long range forecast by Thursday of this week!

This morning watched snow squalls from the church window where DW and I were watching 5 toddlers.  So much fun!  They are amazing.  Didn't think I'd be getting outside but it was 50ish by late afternoon so I braved the wind (not as bad as that coming off Lake Michigan, I'm sure). Ran 5 mile @ HM pace, or tried to.  Fairly consistent.  in mile 4 I did 3 hill repeats on fairly decent hill, able to keep good pace for that short distance.  Pushed hard the last mile and had  pace just over 10:00.  Felt good to push hard.

In Chicago for conference Thurs-Sat this next week, so hope to run on the Lake front trail.  Might have to play hooky from a session or 2! Smile

Run strong friends.

Dan